120 Day Chip

Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

120 Day Chip

I thank God or My lucky Stars or whatever powers may be for my beloved bride's sponsor.

About a month ago, she had business cards made for Poh to give to new members and told her it was time to sponsor a newbie. Poh was like uhmmmm.... thanx but I'm only one year in and 90 days without a drink...

Sponsor? Great - you'll know just what they are going through!

Tonight her sponsor gave her a 120 day chip. For those unfamiliar - there is no 120 day chip in AA, just 90 and 6 months. No matter, sponsor made one.

When Poh had her relapse I handled it just like you'd expect... I lost my mind for a couple weeks. Sponsor had her husband (who just hit three years of sobriety) come talk to me and help me chill out while she worked on Poh.

Sponsor is a great drill sergeant - attend your meetings, do your service, work your steps and call me - don't make me chase you. Report in to me and your sobriety sisters (what they call your sponsors other sponsees in the female hierarchy in her group) with your weekly accountability and if you don't want all that don't waste my time - get another sponsor.

Her group probably differs from most a tad... they don't deviate from the steps or traditions of course but the ladies have it together. Poh's sponsor dropped out two weeks before her relapse. I think it's standard practice to wait until the member asks someone to sponsor...ah whatever, the ladies huddled up and circled the wagons around Poh, shoved her toward new sponsor and loved the hell out of her - they were not about to lose that sweet pregnant girl... If that's breaking the rules, here's to civil disobedience.

I know that Ethyl isn't done with us, that little skanky beeeeeyatch will raise her ugly little head and take a swipe any chance she gets but that's out of my control and out of mind. I'm grateful for today... if she pops up, back to whack-a-mole but today is a good day.

I am so thankful...
For my wife's courage to change
For the happiness we bring each other
For our baby boy
For her sponsor and group

...and for you guys. I was just in my userCP and my about me said "trying to help a friend detox from alcohol" from when I joined 11/27/2011. Wow... Right now it would be "Watching wife recover - day 385 and counting".

What a difference 14 months makes. Time to go snuggle up next to her and get to sleep.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Happy for you and your wife. Hope she continues to work as hard the next 120 days.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats to both of you! You deserve a round of applause to