Notices

The Road Back to Reality

Old 01-16-2013, 01:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Road Back to Reality

Someone else on the forum described sobriety as an epiphany; a personal transformation into a totally new person. That has stayed with me and remained uppermost in my mind in this journey of transformation because I am aware of deep psychological, physical, and intellectual changes that are taking place as years of alcoholic destruction depart from my body and spirit. It is important to remember that post-alcoholic withdrawal symptoms, from the insistent craving for alcohol to the headaches, nausea and roller-coasting moods that accompany the cravings, are signs that the brain is starting to recover. I have been told it takes up to two years for your brain to recover from chronic alcoholism, but I also know (from a previous 15-month spell of sobriety) that light starts entering your life and that in spite of some dark days, the light WILL get brighter because you are returning to who you really are; a precious, unique member of the human race with a real shot at health and happiness. I'm only 16 days in now, but the first signs of light are starting to edge over the horizon. I would wish for anyone who is a sustained and reckless alcoholic like me that you give the sun a chance to rise. Sure, it is difficult in the first few days and weeks, but that's because the powers that be are clearing the way for a brand-new you.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Newly sober/clean I had to borrow a lot of hope from people who had learned to live and enjoy life sober.

I had to ride on the coat tails of a lot of people here, because I wasn't feeling it.

It does get better. We do recover.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great Post and very true!