Notices

I'm boring?

Old 01-15-2013, 12:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm boring?

I'm still hanging in there not drinking and all, its been about a month and a half now. I just started school again today and this whole winter break has been alcohol free, which is pretty good seeing as I would usually take this time to drink with friends and such. I spent about half my break here with friends and the other half with a girl that I've been talking to. She came down to spend time with me and I went out where she lived to spend time with her. We went to her sister's house a few times and I guess I wasn't very talkative. I was actually pretty anxious/nervous most of the time because of not really knowing what to say or how to strike up a good solid conversation with the sister and her husband. I came home yesterday since school is going to be starting. I just talked to this girl on the phone and I guess her sister said I was boring and that I'm quiet. This has been bugging me ever since. These types of social situations are why I probably used to drink, along with other reasons as well I'm sure. I don't know how to just be loose and 'normal' without drinking. I just needed to vent this right now, this feeling of being bothered by what was said about me makes me want to go grab a beer, although I'm not going to.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey Soberish,

Firstly congratulation on your sobriety. Secondly, it is possible to get rid of nerves and anxiety without resorting to booze or drugs. I use humour when I go out on dates now. It breaks the ice and tension and leads to various discussions. I wasn't always like this though. I used cocaine to make myself what I thought was articulate and interesting. Obviously I was just a snivelling wreck chatting crap but you know, we live and learn.

It took me a while to realise how to act in social situations with members of the opposite sex. I am by nature, a tiny bit innappropriate, but not in an offensive way. I play on this, it's my deadpan humour card. I had to find what skills and personality traits I had and then work to bring them out. Even the fact I am a recovering addict is an exceptional conversation piece. The women I have told all find it mysterious. They ask me what being in a fellowship is like. I ask them if they have ever seen the film 'Fight Club' and it leads on from there.

Find what your personality traits are, drag them out and then use them. I have never met a truly boring person in recovery. I remember thinking someone was super boring after listening to them share in the rooms for a bit. Then one week they shared that they had just randomly go up into the hills and camp out for extended periods of time and go back to nature. I find that interesting.

Find yourself some hobbies, then utilise these. And when you have your personality traits on the table you can use them to describe yourself and start living by them.

Natom
Old 01-15-2013, 01:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hear you Natom, I think I've just been feeling a bit more lethargic than usual lately. It seems sometimes I can get a conversation to flow and go and other times I just can't. I'm always thinking about what to say and then after that wondering if it needs to be censored or if sounds stupid, which in turn just makes it come out wrong or unnatural. I gotta figure this out, once I've mastered this nervousness I think I've got drinking beat. I feel so close yet so far away, years ago I used to be a naturally funny guy (without drinking/drug use) that didn't need to put any effort or thought into it, but this was also when I was in my teenage years now I'm in my twenties. Much has changed since then, hopefully I'll get my spark back.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hey soberish; I used alcohol as a social lubricant and it was good that way, if I could have stopped at 1 or 2. Is it possible you're depressed? Only a thought I don't want to talk you into it. I've been investigating ways of raising my spirits naturally; keep coming across exercise for some reason!
Do you think your friend's sister is the final arbiter of whether you're boring? Because everyone makes judgements before they get to know someone properly, and she isn't the one who counts.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The number 1 reason I drank was to be able to talk to girls. The #2 reason was to talk to anybody else. 1 month is an incredibly short period of time to be alcohol free. If things weren't the way they were for you now, well... you probably wouldn't want to drink, and you wouldn't be on this forum trying to kick alcohol. In other words, you're right where you're supposed to be. The important question now for you is do you want to live like this, live like a drunk, or live an entirely new and much better life. If the answer is to live a new and better life, then the only way that's going to happen is if you do something to change the person that picked up a drink in the first place. There are a lot of ways to do that, but for me AA and the 12 steps had the best track record. I actually wasn't given any other option when I got sober, so I had no choice, and I'm happy it turned out that way.

When I put down the drink I had all kinds of fears and phobias. It took me a year before I was able to function like a somewhat normal human being. My social anxiety was so bad that I remember clearly after a year of sobriety going to my first college class. Psychology. About a week into it I got to class early and a pretty girl who sat in front of me started talking to me. I was nearly frozen. The bell rang for the start of class and she said she'll talk to me when the class was over. I obsessed for the entire 2 hours of that class, and bolted about a 1/2 second before the ending bell completed ringing.

I've since then dated more women than I'd like to admit, completed college, acted and directed plays while in college, became a HS teacher, gotten married to the greatest woman in the world, toured a bunch of countries playing in a R&R band, traveled to places with my wife that I only dreamed of going to while drinking, and had more to sometimes do in a month than I did in 6 years of drinking. There's tons more I could add to that short list. And that wasn't the person I was before I ever picked up a drink, I actually had nothing going for me whatsoever. Most interesting thing for me is I'm still kind of shy guy (till I get to know people), and when I look back, I sometimes wonder how I've gotten to all those places. I'm absolutely 150% certain however than none of it would have happened if I didn't enter sobriety with a totally open mind, totally willing to do whatever was suggested, to get sober and better. And again, all that education and training came to me through the rooms of AA.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stick with it , the further you go sober the less you will give a **** what people think.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

good post soberish,, and great replies guys,,, i thik when soberish,, u said i used to be great ect /funny before drink/drugs,,, then you still are,, and will be once again.
we never lose our traits,, weve just buried them and forgotten how to use em,,
dig em out,, you'll be suprised,, keep up the great work on one and half months,, well done xx
lv xx cleo xxxxx
Old 01-15-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just remembered this... one time when I was going on a first date and was particuarly nervous - hey wait, do people still go on dates? anyway - I wrote up a list of questions to ask iin case there was awkward silence during dinner. There was awkward silence. With a very pregnant pause, I took the paper out of my pocket, slowly unfolded it, cleared my throat, and aksed the first question. Told her I came prepared. It worked, excellently.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on one and a half months sober.

A lot of us used alcohol and drugs to get over social awkwardness. We've never really worked at developing our social skills so it's something we have to do when we get sober. Of course it takes times. Don't be hard on yourself about that. You're learning.

Obviously I wasn't part of the conversation you had with the girl but to me, it seems a little rude of her to repeat what her sister said about you. Hearing something like that is the last thing you need right now.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
The number 1 reason I drank was to be able to talk to girls. The #2 reason was to talk to anybody else. 1 month is an incredibly short period of time to be alcohol free. If things weren't the way they were for you now, well... you probably wouldn't want to drink, and you wouldn't be on this forum trying to kick alcohol. In other words, you're right where you're supposed to be. The important question now for you is do you want to live like this, live like a drunk, or live an entirely new and much better life. If the answer is to live a new and better life, then the only way that's going to happen is if you do something to change the person that picked up a drink in the first place. There are a lot of ways to do that, but for me AA and the 12 steps had the best track record. I actually wasn't given any other option when I got sober, so I had no choice, and I'm happy it turned out that way.

When I put down the drink I had all kinds of fears and phobias. It took me a year before I was able to function like a somewhat normal human being. My social anxiety was so bad that I remember clearly after a year of sobriety going to my first college class. Psychology. About a week into it I got to class early and a pretty girl who sat in front of me started talking to me. I was nearly frozen. The bell rang for the start of class and she said she'll talk to me when the class was over. I obsessed for the entire 2 hours of that class, and bolted about a 1/2 second before the ending bell completed ringing.

I've since then dated more women than I'd like to admit, completed college, acted and directed plays while in college, became a HS teacher, gotten married to the greatest woman in the world, toured a bunch of countries playing in a R&R band, traveled to places with my wife that I only dreamed of going to while drinking, and had more to sometimes do in a month than I did in 6 years of drinking. There's tons more I could add to that short list. And that wasn't the person I was before I ever picked up a drink, I actually had nothing going for me whatsoever. Most interesting thing for me is I'm still kind of shy guy (till I get to know people), and when I look back, I sometimes wonder how I've gotten to all those places. I'm absolutely 150% certain however than none of it would have happened if I didn't enter sobriety with a totally open mind, totally willing to do whatever was suggested, to get sober and better. And again, all that education and training came to me through the rooms of AA.
I've thought about trying AA here locally, but I'm waiting until I get my license back, which is this Friday actually. I can relate to the obsession thing in more ways than talking to a girl in class, I actually do this with any new person I talk with and some days are easier than others for some reason. Everything you have accomplished over sobriety time is truly inspiring and motivating.

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Hey soberish; I used alcohol as a social lubricant and it was good that way, if I could have stopped at 1 or 2. Is it possible you're depressed? Only a thought I don't want to talk you into it. I've been investigating ways of raising my spirits naturally; keep coming across exercise for some reason!
Do you think your friend's sister is the final arbiter of whether you're boring? Because everyone makes judgements before they get to know someone properly, and she isn't the one who counts.
I do get to some temporary lows here and there, but since I've quit drinking and smoking marijuana it has gotten better. I do try to exercise and this helps tremendously, in fact I'm planning on going to a run tonight. Honestly, I can really care less about what her sister thinks about me, I think the part that bothers me is that she kind of confirmed something I already knew about myself, which is not that I am a boring person but that my anxiety can go up so high that I can appear to be boring. I remember when I used to binge 3 or 4 times a week and the days when I would go out with friends I would be a complete nervous wreck until I had about 3 or 4 beers. Now that I'm not drinking it hasn't been as severe. It's good to be able to see some sort of progress and I look forward to seeing more of it.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cleopatra1 View Post
good post soberish,, and great replies guys,,, i thik when soberish,, u said i used to be great ect /funny before drink/drugs,,, then you still are,, and will be once again.
we never lose our traits,, weve just buried them and forgotten how to use em,,
dig em out,, you'll be suprised,, keep up the great work on one and half months,, well done xx
lv xx cleo xxxxx
I know I've got those traits in there somewhere because some days it comes out without any effort to it. Some self awareness and recognition of progress along with posts like these keep me focused and determined. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
Just remembered this... one time when I was going on a first date and was particuarly nervous - hey wait, do people still go on dates? anyway - I wrote up a list of questions to ask iin case there was awkward silence during dinner. There was awkward silence. With a very pregnant pause, I took the paper out of my pocket, slowly unfolded it, cleared my throat, and aksed the first question. Told her I came prepared. It worked, excellently.
Making a list of questions beforehand is a good back up plan, I think I'll try this next time. Hopefully some of the questions I choose can strike up decent conversation and in the long run help me to be more social with new people.

Originally Posted by elihoping View Post
Congrats on one and a half months sober.

A lot of us used alcohol and drugs to get over social awkwardness. We've never really worked at developing our social skills so it's something we have to do when we get sober. Of course it takes times. Don't be hard on yourself about that. You're learning.

Obviously I wasn't part of the conversation you had with the girl but to me, it seems a little rude of her to repeat what her sister said about you. Hearing something like that is the last thing you need right now.
It is pretty rude of her to be so blunt, she can do this sometimes. Thing is I don't like to show that it bothers me so I just brush it off. It's probably not a good thing to just brush it off but I don't like showing that I'm upset over something so petty you know? Do you guys think I should have mentioned that it bothered me? If so, how should I have approached it?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can relate to this feeling....lately I feel a bit dull and really OLD. I feel like maybe I was more fun when I was a crazy party girl. These days everything is routine; I go to my meetings and do my step work. Occasionallyy boyfriend and I go out to eat usually just the two of us. I have friends but I put off hanging out with them because I don't want to deal with trying to impress or entertain anyone (gosh that sounds awful now that I said it out loud). I wish I had a lot of wisdom to share but today and yesterday have been very hard days and I'm down. Sometimes I wish I could go back to the party for just a few days, come home again sober after that, but it never works that way with me. Once I start I don't stop until it gets ugly, even if it starts out as fun. So I guess we just hold on? I'm almost to 60 days and I know that's not very long so I'm just going to stay sober despite being slightly "boring" right now and eventually I think I'll find myself again and things will improve. You too. I imagine you're actually a lovely, funny, interesting person... Just a bit lost at the moment like me. A lot of changes.... It will be ok. I believe that in my soul.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I think it was kind of rude for the girl to repeat what her sister said too. That being said, did you find her sister entertaining and exciting? Maybe their company bored you and you reacted completely appropriately?

People like to talk about themselves, so if you ask questions, it will usually get the ball rolling and conversation springs from there. I've read that most alcoholics stop developing emotionally when they start drinking. If that's true, we all do need to take steps to catch up.

I feel more boring when I don't drink, but the reality is I do a lot more now that I'm not drinking and have more to talk about. I'm not as bored either, in many ways. I do feel like life without drinking takes on a kind of monotonous sameness, but I don't miss the drama that drinking brought. I'm sure once we have more sober time racked up it starts to balance out.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by FreeFall
I think it was kind of rude for the girl to repeat what her sister said too. That being said, did you find her sister entertaining and exciting? Maybe their company bored you and you reacted completely appropriately?
LOL that's exactly what I was thinking...who is she anyway? the "boring police"?

I would have responded with "I know you are, but what am I??" or "I am rubber, you are glue..." ha!

Dude, you are not boring. I've read this thread with interest. Your introspection and obvious intelligence is interesting in and of itself, and what constitutes "boring" is certainly relative. Being comfortable in your skin and being able to easily conversate is second nature to some, more of a learned skill for others. Just be authentic and confident...those are the single most attractive qualities a person can have in my opinion.

Tell your girl that you were holding back, so as not to overwhelm her sister with the blinding awesomeness that IS soberish...you were just being considerate
Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BabyJane View Post
I can relate to this feeling....lately I feel a bit dull and really OLD. I feel like maybe I was more fun when I was a crazy party girl. These days everything is routine; I go to my meetings and do my step work. Occasionallyy boyfriend and I go out to eat usually just the two of us. I have friends but I put off hanging out with them because I don't want to deal with trying to impress or entertain anyone (gosh that sounds awful now that I said it out loud). I wish I had a lot of wisdom to share but today and yesterday have been very hard days and I'm down. Sometimes I wish I could go back to the party for just a few days, come home again sober after that, but it never works that way with me. Once I start I don't stop until it gets ugly, even if it starts out as fun. So I guess we just hold on? I'm almost to 60 days and I know that's not very long so I'm just going to stay sober despite being slightly "boring" right now and eventually I think I'll find myself again and things will improve. You too. I imagine you're actually a lovely, funny, interesting person... Just a bit lost at the moment like me. A lot of changes.... It will be ok. I believe that in my soul.
I can definitely relate to not wanting to go out to impress or entertain people. I can usually take a couple friends at a time but any more than that and it usually turns into a drinking scenario which leads to something I don't want to be a part of. Thanks for sharing, it's good to relate.

Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post

People like to talk about themselves, so if you ask questions, it will usually get the ball rolling and conversation springs from there. I've read that most alcoholics stop developing emotionally when they start drinking. If that's true, we all do need to take steps to catch up.

I feel more boring when I don't drink, but the reality is I do a lot more now that I'm not drinking and have more to talk about. I'm not as bored either, in many ways. I do feel like life without drinking takes on a kind of monotonous sameness, but I don't miss the drama that drinking brought. I'm sure once we have more sober time racked up it starts to balance out.
Her sister is married and has 3 kids, I'm in my twenties and have no kids so theres a big difference right there. I wouldn't say she's boring herself just hard to relate with I guess. On top of that they started watching that show "The Biggest Loser" which WAS boring, to me at least. It's also kind of messed up the way they treat some of the people on that show. I was on my phone here and there during the show which may seem rude in itself but I had to help cure my nervousness with this forum.

Life without drinking does seem more routine, and I guess thats OK. Maybe I just need to slow down and accept it a little more?

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
LOL that's exactly what I was thinking...who is she anyway? the "boring police"?

I would have responded with "I know you are, but what am I??" or "I am rubber, you are glue..." ha!

Dude, you are not boring. I've read this thread with interest. Your introspection and obvious intelligence is interesting in and of itself, and what constitutes "boring" is certainly relative. Being comfortable in your skin and being able to easily conversate is second nature to some, more of a learned skill for others. Just be authentic and confident...those are the single most attractive qualities a person can have in my opinion.

Tell your girl that you were holding back, so as not to overwhelm her sister with the blinding awesomeness that IS soberish...you were just being considerate
HAHA, this post made me laugh. I guess if there were a such thing as the boring police, she might try to be an enforcing officer. I do notice that her and her sister like to kind of gossip about others who aren't around, which is another reason which makes it hard to get into conversation with them. Authentic is what I am because it's to hard to be someone I'm not and deal with sobriety at the same time. On the other hand, confidence is something I should work on.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Biggest loser and a girlie gossip session? Whoa, hold me back...the excitement is overwhelming...
Looks like the boring police should cuff herself.