Notices

Starting Over (Again)

Old 01-14-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting Over (Again)

Here I am, starting over again. Day 2 of sobriety! I really need this to be the last time I quit drinking. I'm on the edge of losing everything I care about. The cravings really suck! I need an outlet to discuss these feelings, but I'm not the AA type. I've been through a formal out-patient program (due to a DWI) and I was sober for a year. But all it took was 1 slip and it's just like I never stopped. So, here I am, reaching out to others like myself. It seems like I do well for about 2 weeks, then I fall down. And when I fall its all the way. No one likes me when I drink, I'm mean and nasty. And then there is the hangover and shame. I don't want to do it anymore! Thanks for taking the time to read this...I wish you peace and sobriety!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lindalou- hang in there! I was sober for two years then fell out for another five years. Am sober 12 days now. I had one of those crying moments today. The one when I can't believe I made it through a Friday and Saturday night without drinking! My poor husband.... I was SO grumpy Saturday night. I even looked to pick a fight so I could have an excuse to drink! Thank God he was stronger then me. Stay on this sight! When you feel like a drink, post instead.....read posts! Go for a walk. Do 20 jumping jacks! Scream! Remember- 1 is too many and 1,000 is not enough! God Bless.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome LindaLou

If you feel you're not the AA type, there's many other approaches to explore

here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

D
Old 01-14-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel your pain, I hate when i mess up AGAIN and then have to start all over. Its such a vicious cycle. I can also go two weeks max and then i go oh what the heck and drink and then it starts all over again. I am going to try AA even though i have my doubts about it. But i am at rock bottom and have to do something. So maybe just try it out?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey Linda,

Welcome to the forums and well done on wanting to start over. During your year of sobriety did you do any ongoing maintenance to your recovery?

Natom.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Linda,

We're celebrating five years sober for an SR member today (Hevyn), and I've made it to 75 days with help from the forums.

Welcome!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LindaLou,

Welcome,

Yes, this disease is relentless, isn't it! I would ask you what changes you made in your life during the year you stopped drinking. I ask because I realized that I had to change myself from the inside out to become free from my addiction.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome LindaLou! You can do it - you can leave that sick, old life behind.

I'm the one with 5 yrs. sober (thanks, Coldfusion) - and when I quit I was drinking round the clock. I was completely dependent on it. All the hope and joy was gone from my life. Any fun I once got from it was long gone. It was exhausting to continue on that way. In the end, it was a relief to be done with it.

I was like you - when I drank I turned into a person I didn't recognize. I had dwi's, too - went through a program - and had 3 yrs. sober at one point. I decided I could have a drink now and then - and it led me back to the same old place. That's why for us, it has to go. Once we pick up, dangerous & unpredictable things will happen. Please stay with us and keep posting. You can do this, LindaLou.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here to help you stay sober.:ghug3
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome and I know exactly how you feel. I just lost almost 40 days last pm,so I'm starting over too. This is a great place for support. Hope to see you around. Just don't give up.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome LindaLou,

This is a great site, you will find lots of support on here.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you Hevyn - and congrats! 5 years is a long time!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Natom,
No, I didn't do any "after care". I realize now that if I had, I probably wouldn't be where I am now. But I'm finding that this is a wonderful place to start!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck with AA. Let me know how it works for you....I may try it!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes - Amen - to be done with it! That really struck a cord congrats Heyvn and thanks for all your positive posts.

Linda I feel your pain - I have had tantrums about drinking many times. The weekends are hard especially with playoffs if your into that.

You can start over - all of us can!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Dee74! I found a link here I will absolutely check out! I am also going to stay with SR - you're all wonderful!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Not Alone

AA isn't for everyone. I go to NA but I don't spend all my time banging on about how it is the wonder cure and the only option for a successful recovery. It's horses for courses. What suits me might not suit you. Whatever you do, keep it ongoing. You need to keep continual maintenance of your recovery. Whether it is posting on here, writing a journal, going to groups. Whatever, as long as you work on it.

Natom.