Notices

Two weeks Sober

Old 01-14-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Two weeks Sober

It has taken me years to realize that my partying days developed into addictions. Cocaine went from an occasional indulgence to an everyday habit in a matter of months. I quit cold turkey in June of 2011. Which was great. Unfortunately, I replaced it with alcohol.

My SO (whom I live with and also an alcoholic) and I were up to drinking more than a 40 of Rye a night between the two of us.

The catalyst for me quitting drinking just over two weeks ago happened on Christmas night...

I was very sick with the flu. After being sober all day (visiting friends / family, etc.) we finally were home. My throat was swollen and I asked him for a rye and water with a lot of ice. And (as per usual) he kept them coming. What neither of us took into account was the amount of cold medication I had taken throughout the day.

A couple of hours later I'm feeling a lot better (due to the fact that I am fairly tipsy; were I not an alcoholic I am sure I would have been passed out drunk). My SO's family asks if we can come back over to spend the night. Initially, I say no - I would much rather maintain feeling well and stay home. But after much convincing, his Mother comes to pick us up.

At this point things start to get hazy. I barely remember the car ride back. But I do remember her getting stopped at a ride program. And I also remember that she was worried about it, as she had also been drinking. But we made it back to her house with no problems.

When we got in my SO poured me a drink...and this is where I fade out completely.

The next thing I know, I am outside without a coat on, in their front yard and I spit. Not onto the ground, but directly into his Mother's face. Then I turn and run away.

I get about a block away and I try calling my SO. No answer. At this point I have no idea what is happening. So I call my parents. They come and get me and take me home. I pour myself a large rye and pass out.

I wake up the next morning. Flashes of the night before start coming back. I try calling my SO. No answer. I text him to call me when he can. I call my parents who are very embarrassed - they tell me to go to an AA meeting. Around 5 pm I finally hear back from my SO. He is coming to our apartment to get some things and stay with his parents for a few days. His Mother is coming with him. they show up and I burst into tears. I apologize over and over to his Mother. She says she forgives me but she doesn't want to talk to me. I apologize to my SO. He hugs me and tells me he will call me tomorrow. They leave.

I decide that this is my last night drinking. I turn my phone off and I get wrecked.

And that was it. When I woke up on the 27th I felt great. I put the remaining rye into a bag by the front door. I have not had a drink since.

Things with my SO have been difficult. He moved back in on the 28th. He (being an alcoholic also) understands that I wasn't in control of my actions when I spit at his Mother, but I think the road to forgiveness with his family will be a much more difficult relationship to mend. We still don't know if we will make it; family is very important to him. But his family are also alcoholics in their own right. They refuse to believe that blackouts are a real thing. Not that I have not held myself responsible for the act that I committed, but alcohol DID play a huge roll in the act. I would never soberly spit in anyone's face. EVER.

However since Christmas things have been extremely hard on my SO...

Since the incident his alcoholism has become out of control. We used to wait until after dinner time on the weekends before starting to drink... But for the last two weeks he has not cared what time it was.

He has decided to take a month off from drinking. Starting today.

I am very excited, but also very nervous. I hope I can be supportive towards him. I don't know what else to say. I hope we can get through this...
Old 01-14-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wish you much good luck but more so I wish you strength and perserverance. This forum is wonderful so I do encoruage to read here a lot and post as needed. I do think you need to realize that although you and SO can support each other you each must be responsbile for yourself and put your own sobriety first. Please let us knbow how things are going.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hey, Sweetie,

Welcome to SR--

My first advice is to take that rye out of the bag and pour it down the toilet.

(oh and the obligatory, you should get medical advice...)

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice. That bottle was long gone though!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

After 75 days, the alcoholic is still in me...

She's got booze? How much? In the bag by the front door?

What a relief, I'm glad it's gone.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR D2e7c - and congrats on 2 weeks

I did a lot of things drunk that I was ashamed of later - reputations can be rescued with time and when people see you're capable of real change.

Keep the focus on your recovery, no matter whatever happens.
Your bf has his own recovery journey too - maybe you'll serve as an example?

D
Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR and congrats on your two weeks sober. It will take time to mend the relationships that alcohol damaged but it's not impossible. Just stay sober and work on improving yourself and the rest wil follow. :ghug3