Notices

What I put in front of a relapse

Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What I put in front of a relapse

This is from the Big Book.
I now remembered what my alcoholic friends had told me, how they prophesied that if I had an alcoholic mind, the time and place would come-I would drink. They had said that though I did raise a defense, it would one day give way before some trivial reason for having a drink.

For me:
I really have to work hard for my recovery especially now but since a recent relapse I have been over analyzing everything I was thinking prior to the relapse and all the behaviors. I guess that is important but I can't go back and change what happened. I have to make the changes now.

I have to put things in front of a relapse. The usual stuff Prayer, Meetings, Call sponsor, Literature, step work. If I have these things in front of a relapse and if I let up on any one of these things i know I am on slippery ground. I also used to smoke and I know if I were to pick up smoking , that it would be a sign that I am stressed out and need to talk with someone quick. I am slowly learning. What do you put before a relapse? Thanks!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The problem is I do not know where the edge of the abyss is. By doing what I need to do on a daily basis it keeps me well back from the edge so that there can never be a time when I am only one step away.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I put my entire life before a relapse. No reason can be created which will induce me to drink. There is no requirement that must be met in order for me to remain sober.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deeker View Post
they prophesied that if I had an alcoholic mind, the time and place would come-I would drink.
I never quite got this. It sounds defeatist to me but I imagine that the point is that you put the work in so you don't relapse, which is obviously a good idea. I suppose it depends which angle you approach it from though. I think even if I did all the stuff I am supposed to do I would still relapse if I made a decision to do so. I never understand how people say they relapsed with no conscious decision to do so. I have never brought a drink to my lips without thinking 'I am about to drink'. There's always a chance to put the drink down, we choose not to, however subconscious that may be.

My strategy for avoiding relapse is just to not drink, no matter how bad it gets, just don't drink.