Notices

Another Monday...another Day 1

Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another Monday...another Day 1

Almost every Monday I vow to stop drinking and I do fine during the week but then totally binge on the weekend. It seems worse every weekend but somehow I convince myself on Friday that I can just have a couple...EVERY week I go through the same routine. I'm 33 years old and have been a weekend binger for about 10 years. I'm starting to think maybe I've brain damaged myself because I feel like only a moron would keep this self destructive cycle. I guess I decided to post because I really, really want this Day 1 to stick. I know it's up to me to get out of the cycle. It's getting to the point that I black out more often and I am terrified and ashamed of being such a loser. I have a supportive husband and family but if they know the extent my drinking they haven't mentioned it to me...and I don't want them to know if they don't already. I have been to a few AA meetings in the past and it's just not for me. Of course I'm not feeling too good today (sick and brain is scattered) and I know it will take me a couple of days to feel some shred of health. Maybe I just would like to know what tips helped you get you through these first few days and weekends. Thank you.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! Those first few days of withdrawal I rested as much as possible, drank plenty of fluids, and ate good foods like soup and such - not too hard on my stomach but nutritious.

As to staying sober, I've used a combination of counseling and frequent visits to SR and it's worked for the last three years.

I'm glad you found us and want to live a sober life. You won't regret it, I promise. :ghug3
Old 01-14-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tips?

Surround yourself with support, see your Doctor and accept that alcohol is no longer an option.

You cannot wish, pray or hope addiction away.

You must take action and make changes.

I am not in AA, but I will challenge you on your belief that AA is not for you after a couple meetings? Really?

You're still a drunk and what you're doing today isn't working.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you feel AA isn't for you check out Rational Recovery, there are a few of us over on Secular Connections who prefer that approach. I'm very early days myself so can't give much advice but I do find this forum to be great support.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by opgirl View Post
I have been to a few AA meetings in the past and it's just not for me.
You, if you are an alcoholic of my sort, will come to the point where AA is the "only" thing for you.

I wish you the best in your recovery.

Bob R
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. I'm going to plan on taking it easy the next few days. Just go to work and home...and make healthy decisions. (I need to lose weight and all the alcohol calories + after binger greasy food calories add up!) It's all up to me...and I think maybe if I post here it will give me some accountability...to myself. This seems like a great site and I am so grateful to have found it.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
You, if you are an alcoholic of my sort, will come to the point where AA is the "only" thing for you.

I wish you the best in your recovery.

Bob R
So very true. I came to AA because it was either AA or Death. All options had failed miserably. They poured my under the doors kicking, screaming, and yelling but I stayed long enough for the miracle to happen
Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey opgirl - I am the exact same kind of drinker as you. I rarely drank during the week days, then I binge drank on the weekends. Then I'd feel like crap on Mondays...I actually don't think I even started feeling 100% until Wednesday or Thursday, then I'd start the cycle over on Friday. I believe it has been a big impediment to my getting ahead in life, and the hang overs were hellish. This is my second attempt at sobriety. This is a great place to come and talk/get advice. I have learned more here than I could have imagined. There's a lot of great information on here, soak it up!
Old 01-14-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Hi Opgirl! Welcome!

I relate so much to what you said about the monday resolutions, blackouts, and being good during the week. I can relate to AA not being for me too.

I guess I always had doubts if I was a 'real' alcoholic because I could time when I would get drunk. I never got a DUI cause Id wait till I had a sober driver (or drunk) to drive me. I always made work cause my major drinking times were friday, saturday, and sunday morning. Ive reasoned my way back into drinking this weekend or for some event hundreds of times.

This time into AA I put aside that its not for me. I forgot my better judgement and said Im gonna give this all I got. I completely surrendered as the bottle is obviously bent on destroying every part of my being. Alcohol had taken over the entirety of my thinking.

That moment of complete surrender has changed my whole life. I havent had a drink since December 7th and I feel wonderful. I am enjoying AA and my new friends there and here more than I could ever have imagined.

Not saying AA is the way for you, but if you really want to stay stopped its time to start taking action. I tried to think my way out of this thing so many times and it never worked.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
jkb

I too am very new at this so I can't give any advice but, you tell my story as well. I only drink one time per week and so, I could always justify it. I am only on 2 days sober because I do just like you said and decide not to drink and then on my weekend I drink. It sucks. Good luck. I am reading RR right now so just a thought. Being a binge drinker sucks.....
Old 01-14-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I want to add that it can be more confusing to think of yourself as an alcoholic when you only drink on the weekends. I had to take a good, hard look at the way I drank when I drank, how it made me feel, and how it has affected my life.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi opgirl - welcome

I can recommend sticking around SR - lots of support and ideas here

I think if you're a weekend drinker a change of routine is probably called for - why not make plans for next weekend that pointedly don't involve alcohol?

D
Old 01-14-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I was a weekend binger, but I also drank after work every day, usually 3-6 beers. On weekends i'd go through roughly a 12 pack of crappy beer throughout the day on Saturday and Sunday.

I didn't hit rock bottom but finally realized i'm just not capable of having a "few" anymore.

In my opinion, you need to make the decision for yourself, no one else can make you quit. There are many who will HELP you quit, including us here - but you've got to make the decision. Best of luck on breaking the cycle for good...read lots and ask lots of questions. Welcome.