Notices

I did it (again)!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I did it (again)!

So I didn't drink last night (yay!) and slept pretty well. This was the first sober night since the beginning of January when I did two days and then relapsed. I sooooooo need to keep this up ...the few times I did wake during the night I thought about all the terrible situations I had got myself into because of drinking .. plus the weight I would lose and the money I'll save :-) I also have severe acid reflux which I am sure is related to the bottle(s) of wine I can consume in one sitting.
Bizarrely I actually feel kind of hungover this morning, but I guess that it will take a long time to get this poison out of my system .
Please stay with me and keep me going.. I do feel I can do it but I need your help ! I don't know why I do it - part of it is routine/boredom, part is triggered by dealing (alone) with my gorgeous but challenging son who has ADHD and the rest..? I have no idea ! I just want to get free of this, be a proper parent and get my life back . Not sure about AA as don't buy the 'higher power' thing as I really don't believe in God.
Thanks for your support.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Imustdothis

if you feel you need more support have you considered SMART?
it's not 12 step based:

SMART Recovery - SMART Recovery UK

D
Old 01-14-2013, 12:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do it! I have 7 days and feel like a totally different person.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you. Stay strong and keep going - there are so many benefits waiting for you.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Imustdothis and congratulations on a day sober! The hangover thing is a weird for me. I swear even after 2 weeks I still am waking up feeling the same way. Not as severe as I did when I was drinking, but I think my nights are very restless right now, and that leaves me feeling like I went hard the night before. Looking forward to feeling chipper (well maybe not chipper but maybe half way decent) in the mornings!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratualtions on another day! I understand that you aren't in line with AA but I would be so bold to suggest individual counseling as you mention not knowing why you drink. For my own sobriety it is really important that I understand the why of drinking.

I was suprised at how long it did take my body not only to detox but it is also taking awhile to get the mind and body back in sync with each other. I was SO SURE that I would lose a ton of weight when I stopped drinking wine. Nope. I developed a killer sweet tooth which I know is due to the amount of sugar I was dumping in to my body with all of he wine I was drinking. That takes awhile to detox too I'm thinking! I am, however, saving a ton of money by not drinking!

Keep up the good work!!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Imustdothis View Post
Not sure about AA as don't buy the 'higher power' thing as I really don't believe in God.
I am an Atheist and not a member of AA.

You do not need to believe in the God of Abraham, any other Gods or any supernatural beings to join AA. Your HP can be anything you wish and only has to make sense to you.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep mpovimg foward, you wont regret it. Im at 36 days sobor = 6lb lost, 360$ saved, (maybe more it was the holiday after all lol) and most inporant im not disapointed at myself when I wake up in the morning.