Notices

Recovery timeline?

Old 01-13-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery timeline?

Good evening all. Just got back from a great speaker meeting, love those. 61 days today, woot woot! My memory and concentration seem to be improving. I was worried for awhile that I had permanent brain damage. Physically though I feel like poop. I have had lab work, all the normal stuff they check for is fine so I don't think this is medically related. I have posted on here before about feeling really fatigued and this has continued. Sometimes I think I nap so much on weekends because I am mentally exhausted from stress and daily AA meetings are tiring (even though I enjoy them), because they bring up emotions. I slept 10 hours last night and then took a 5 hour nap today. That just seems ridiculous to me! I am 33, not 83 lol I have been on google and looked for a recovery timeline...I am curious as to how long I may possibly be feeling like this. Any thoughts?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Well, let's start with basics. How much exercise do you get?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there- i can totally identify..i'm 32...took me give or take 3 months to get over that fatigue. i had naps on the regular- sometimes still do it gets better. and your memory and concentration will continue to improve as well.
congrats on your time!!!
hil
Old 01-13-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job, QFM - I am one year tomorrow and sometime I still get wicked tired. It took me to about 4 months to start feeling less fatigued, but everyone is different. We took pretty awful care of ourselves for a long, long time. so it takes a bit of time to get back to feeling better. Keep up the meetings and take time for you - you deserve it and you are an inspiration to many! Hugs, NBC
Old 01-13-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think it was around three to four months for me to start clearing up.....At first I couldn't sleep...Then all I wanted to do was sleep. Six months I was sleeping pretty normal....At a year and a half....You know what I do when I'm tired?....I take a nap.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think naps are very helpful, especially if you're exercising. I blieve that balance is crucial, so find a comfort level for yourself and go for it.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! Coldfusion-- I just started walking again. Want to get back into running but baby steps right now.

@ nonblonde- I thought of that too...when I was drinking I was constantly running on empty and thanks

Sapling...I couldn't sleep well for the first few weeks so I know just what you mean. It's so great to hear how other people handled things and to hear that it DOES get better
Old 01-13-2013, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If it didn't get better...I wouldn't have kept doing it.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Well, Quit, exercise is the best recovery for me. I'm at 75 days, and have started to do some walking, but I love running and need to get back at it.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a life today I didn't think I'd ever have Quit....Just take it a day at a time...Try and make some kind of progress everyday...And give time some time. You'll get there.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Hi Quitforme -

I agree with others that it can take 4-6 months before you may physically feel "normal". The key as Anna said is to try to strike some balance and remember that alcoholism / addiction is as much mental as physical. Eat three meals a day, get some exercise, sleep well, etc. I found that when I quit I replaced some of my addiction with other addictions (albeit healthier ones like exercise, but still I showed addictive tendencies in how much I exercised).

Just remember that drinking only makes you feel worse again despite what those voices might say. Congrats on 61 days. That is a great accomplishment.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks newme In the past when I have quit I became excessive in exercising too. Guess it's all about balance which I am sure will come in time if I work at it. I will hang on, thanks for sharing your hope.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think part of recovery involves listening to our bodies again. Just think what we have done to them!! And it also involves listening to that still small voice inside you. Take your time. Your recovery is not going anywhere. You will have it all your days!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The first few months of sobriety are very up and down. Physically and mentally you're healing, getting back to normal, and it takes time. Be patent. You'll smooth out.