Notices

I've all but quit

Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've all but quit

Well, I made a New Year's resolution not to drink on work nights. I've kept it. Now I think that I'm going to quit completely. Really all drinking does is make me stupid, slow, and non-functional anyways. I don't think I'm an alcoholic after all because I've been able to control my drinking. I just think I need to grow up.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I drank it stunted my growth. Drunkeness and immaturity are soul mates.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've felt that way before, too. My problem is that my "weekend drinking" more times that others turned into excessive/binge drinking, followed by hang overs, followed by more drinking until my weekend was over and I felt like crap on Mondays. From what I have learned, and how I have felt due to this behavior, I do think I consider it to be alcoholic. Everyone is different, though, and you know yourself & how you've felt more than anyone.

I think its a good decision to quit. In the past when I didn't think of my behavior as alcoholic and out of my control (once I started drinking), I was always able to talk myself back into drinking. Beware!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Imabuleva View Post
I've been able to control my drinking. I just think I need to grow up.
Why are you going to quit drinking if you can control it?....It's funny....One of the things my sponsor told me early on was I needed to grow up....What I came to find
out what he meant by that was....I needed to get honest with myself....Something I'd never done before.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you can control your drinking, then never drinking again will be easy for you. I'm a bit confused why, if you have complete control over your drinking, that you're announcing on a forum for addicts that you're stopping?

Congratulations in having decided that you will never drink again.

If it turns out you run into difficulty stopping forever, come on back and you'll find lots of support.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have control over when I drink, not how much. If I start drinking, I expect to be drunk by the end of the night. I guess that does sound like an alcoholic after all, I don't know.

Either way, I'm not gonna drink anymore any way. It serves no practical purpose. Sorry if I came across as rude by announcing this here.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not rude at all...That word scared the hell out of me....It took me losing everything...and I mean everything...To accept the fact....I'm a Fricken alcoholic. I rode denial almost to the bitter end...Call it what you want...If it's causing you problems...Stop before they get worse....Because they will get worse.....Trust me.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Awesome! Don't drink and grow up!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If I could "control" my drinking, I'd still be drinking.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Imabuleva
Either way, I'm not gonna drink anymore any way. It serves no practical purpose. Sorry if I came across as rude by announcing this here.
You did not come across as rude to me at all. I think this is a good decision. It really doesn't matter what you want to call it, obviously drinking has caused you problems and/or your relationship with it troubles you. It makes sense to stop completely. I'm glad you posted and I hope you keep doing so on your journey.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Whether you are an alcoholic or not giving up drink is always a good thing-good luck!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Imabuleva, I think you're making a great decision

D
Old 01-13-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I tried that...I would only drink Friday, Saturday, and of course Sunday's watching the football games......it eventually turned into once or twice a week also.....etc.....
For me- one is too many and 1,000 is not enough. But that's me... God bless.