Notices

NFL Playoffs and Sober...Weird.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NFL Playoffs and Sober...Weird.

I am watching the NFL playoffs without a beer in hand for the first time in a decade. I'm sure many of you on this site can relate how booze and football are so intertwined that it is unimaginable to be drinking diet coke instead of Budweiser. Although it is odd for me, at least I will remember the score tomorrow without having to re-watch all the highlights.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just one of the benefits, great stuff. Enjoy the game and hope you get a good result to remember.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeah, football and beer are culturally intertwined. personally, i think football isn't that fun to watch without drinking. I usually have the game on but do other stuff, whereas if I'm drinking I like watching it and can pay attention for an entire game. like right now, the game is on one browser window but here I am posting on this site. I'm going out to the bar with friends tonight - hopefully there will be plenty of women to look at, because it will be rather dull if not.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea same here and it's a bit weird for me. Tomorrow I'm going to a party to watch the New England/Houston game and I'll be the only one not drinking.

Watching sports is a little more boring to me without beer. I get less invested in it too, which might be a good thing.

Well, its kind of good to realize that certain things are not as fun when you're not drunk, cause the truth is being drunk can make a lot of dull things fun, so when you're not drunk anymore you realize how much time you wasted doing dull things.

Not that football is dull though, I still enjoy it for the most part, even sober.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

AMEN! Go TEXANS! ..since my Vikes r out
Old 01-12-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

What a great game between Denver/Baltimore. I'm rooting for Denver. I love them Manning boys.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Once you've done it a few times, it won't feel as weird (just like all the other things we get used to doing sober). I enjoy it more now, actually, cuz I'm not preoccupied (or numbed out) with drinking.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, this game is exciting. I'm rooting for Denver too, mostly because I like Manning and would like to see him in another superbowl. I also dislike Baltimore, but I'm not sure why. There's just something about that team that bothers me.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Huh?

Luckily, I never saw the appeal of watching pro sports. I'd much rather play sports. But I see how huge of a trigger it is to many people. Keep up the up & up, folks!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

both games have been great. and yes im sober. lol.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I wasn't so much into the football itself as much as the excuse to drink and hang out with friends. I watch now with my boyfriend who doesn't drink, so I usually play on the phone through most of it. Will watch Patriots, and it was a good game tonight-Baltimore Denver. It's definitely more fun with drinks, but really, you have nothing to show for it the next day except a headache.

I try to look at it like this...for every fun occasion that we miss drinking at, not drinking allows in another fun experience that we never could have had while drinking so it all evens out. It helps to think that way when you feel like you're missing out.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

This is very weird but I find it much more fun to watch football as a sober guy. I really didn't care when I was drunk and in fact got more and more annoyed by the game as the drinking wore on.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm doing the same thing except imdrinking coke zero. Feels pretty good, I can actually focus on the game a bit better. Cheers!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Finishing up my day 6 here. My beloved Packers look like they will be working on offseason plans in a few minutes, but at least I won't be hung over tomorrow! I would have been a lot more mad if I was drinking I'm sure too. Best of luck to everyone out there for a sober night and another sober day tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Same here. First time in ages watching without a beer in my hand. I count 6 games without drinking now. Although I still pound some chicken wings, and other nasty treats!

Lay down Pats FEAR Watt!!