Changing the Channel

Old 01-12-2013, 11:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Changing the Channel

Today I am going to focus on positivity - when worries or fears come up, I am going to "change the channel." It 's not about repressing my feelings . . .If I feel sad or angry I will feel those feelings, but will try not to add negative thoughts to them, which can cause spiraling into negativity and hopelessness (for me).

I had a dream about my grandson - I was having some worries about him but there was a cascade of gold sparkly stuff around his aura. To me, that signifies that he has guidance and protection.

Today I am going to enjoy nature and watch my thoughts.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How did it go for you today, seek? I've been thinking the same way today, after reading one sentence from Pema Chodron:

"What always strikes me is how intelligent we are as human beings,
and yet how often we miss this very simple truth: we want happiness but the ways we go about trying to get it cause us to suffer. nevertheless, we keep right on doing it."

Worrying about something we can't control absolutely causes suffering. Good on you (and me, ha ha) for choosing to change a pattern!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My mind is very strong . . .and my habits entrenched.

This "problem" with my grandson has probably taken up a good percentage of my thoughts and life - and I want to change that. I believe there are karmic reasons and past life reasons, but in the end, I want to do other things in this life besides be traumatized by his life and his actions.

Today was really great (and still is).

I spontaneously got the urge to take a bunch of stuff in my basement that I had been saving for a garage sale to the Goodwill. Four boxes and nine bags! And it felt GREAT. It is the least I can do (in terms of charity).

I also have a bunch of my grandson's stuff in my basement and I want to transfer it. Now that there is more room in the basement, I can consolidate his stuff and work on a plan to get it out in the future.

After I went to the Goodwill, I took my dog for a walk on the beach at low tide. It was beautiful and we had a great time.

I am reading now.

I have noticed my thought patterns, and thoughts of him did pop in quite frequently (like several times per hour).

But since I had a dream about him last night in which I saw sparkly golden light on the left side of his aura, I feel he is blessed and protected.

I need to make a list of "Things To Do," and near the top will be researching the MP3 program I found to create your own customized CD of hypnotic suggestions. I think I need such tapes (different ones on different subjects) because my mind gets stuck in the rut of thinking or worrying about him . . .it is really destructive - it wastes my time and energy and my life, really - and I also believe it sends bad vibes to him.

Because I am a grandma, I would like to have some useful years left to enjoy life without drama and trauma.

Thank you for asking.

Pema Chodron is very wise. I resonate with her writings.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like a wonderful and productive day, physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I don't know about you but sometimes I find it hard to stay aware of entrenched thought patterns. I admire your ability to notice when thoughts of him/his problem creep into your mind. I suppose, like any habit one wants to change, it will take 1000 times to practice in order to take hold.

You deserve trauma-free life; we all do. I agree with you about Pema Chodron. I like the way you phrased it "I resonate with her writings." Since I am so relatively new to wanting to change myself/attitude/life, I must phrase it as "Her writings resonate with me."

And - nothing like a long walk with the dog to bring some stillness and openness into one's mind.

Glad you had a good day!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know why. but I feel my thought patterns can sometimes be very obsessive - other times I feel freer - right now, I feel a strong pull to think about him . . .I don't get why.

Thank you for posting the quote from Pema C. and asking about my day.

You say you are "new" to wanting to change your life/thoughts/etc.

I have been working on myself for a really long time, but I feel very different now about my commitment to change destructive patterns.

About the beach and dogs - it is so much fun watching dogs romp and play and just be in the moment - for the most part, they don't have canine families and it's hard to imagine that they "worry" about the future or ruminate about the past. I want to be more like my dog.