Notices

Day 5

Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5

Hello,

Working on getting through Day 5.

I sent my wife a text message saying that I was ready to talk when she is ready. I told her that I understood if she wasnt ready yet......

Today I was out on my 11 mile run. I'm an avid runner and since I have an addictive personality, I run a lot.

I was not an everyday drinker. I was a binge drinker and drank when I could get away with it; hiding it from my wife and son. On those days I could drink I would start at 1030am when my wife would leave. I would go on a 5ish hour binge.

Anyhow, I get my best thinking done during these runs. I feel free and away from my stress.

Today I was thinking about why I cant relate to a Higher Power. I was asking myself why my Higher Power doesnt give me a sign that "its" working for me.

Then all of a sudden.... I realized that I am SOBER and not running with a hangover or the day after a binge and I have no desire to drink today. SOOO that was quite the sign for me.

So I get to mile 10 and I pass a friend of my neighbor drinking buddy. He yells out "You better hurry up and get back, Scott is at the house drinking all the Lager" I simply yelled back "I better keep running then and stay away from there".

After this exchange with this man I felt terrible. I guess that I got to thinking that its a shame that when people see me they just think of me as a drunk instead of a person trying to get it right.

I had to run my last mile telling myself that the man was put there by my evil addiction trying to lower my guard to give in.

I got home and Scott wasnt at home so he wasnt drinking all the beer. I came in an made some hot chocolate...... and had a nice giggle with my son when he walked in the door after school. I asked him what was so funny. He said ohhhh nothing..... I think he is girl crazy.... LOL.

Take care everyone.... it is getting better for me day by day.

Gall
Old 01-11-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love to go running and I wish I could run that far. I wish that THAT would be what I was addicted to, something healthy. Good for you Gall.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations on day 5 Gall

D
Old 01-11-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day 5 here too Gall! Nice work man!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Day 5 winding down for me too. I used to run a long time ago, I keep thinking i need to start some kind of regular exercise. I'm not overweight at all but i know i'm not in great cardio shape either. Trying to get past this first sober week first, Day 5 was a bit tougher than 4 - felt foggy, off balance and just out of it at times. But no desire to drink.

Best of luck to my other day 5 compadres and everyone else. Extra luck for the weekend too, see you all soon.