Notices

10 days and struggling

Old 01-11-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 days and struggling

I'm 10 days sober today, and I feel like I've come a really long way from just a week and a half ago. But I'm struggling a lot more than I thought I'd be today. It feels like I'm being tested. Today has been hell since the moment I walked into work, and my normal response would be going right home and opening a bottle of wine. I don't feel like the urge is strong enough to cause me to slip, but ugh - I just hate days like today. I don't really have an outlet or anyone to talk to on these bad days, so I just had to get it all out.

Ugh
Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Firstly, congrats on day 10. Second, do you attend AA or some other support group?
Exercise? Anything other than drinking?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't attend meetings - or at least I haven't yet. I exercise just about every day, and it is a great outlet, but today is a rest day. I considered taking a walk after work, but it's really crappy outside. I also ride horses, another wonderful outlet, but also kind of restricted by weather. I have some errands to run after work, and a date-in night at home with my husband, so I think there's plenty to keep me distracted.

When I think about how many more bad days I know there will be in this journey, it just makes me... tired. Of course, it also makes me thankful for the good days, but ugh. Sobriety is work. One million percent worth it, but definitely work. Some days I just wish it were easier.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family and congrats on your ten days sober!!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hear you lion. I am 11 days in and try not to get totally overwhelmed by forever. Even when I try to think one day at a time I find myself drifting to "really, never, ever"...I often have almost toddler like reactions to the concept.

I am glad you have a plan for tonight. Suspect when you drift off to sleep knowing you didn't cave you will be pleased with yourself.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think life is full of good and bad days lionk - the more we deal with the not so good days sober, the little easier it is next time

I hope tomorrow is a better day
D
Old 01-11-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile

Well done on 10 days.
Keep posting as we are all here for you.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember day 10. You are well into the start of a rewarding journey. I can tell you that in another 10 you are going to feel better than you do today. I have 4 days from 90 and it is incomparable to how I felt at the start. You are doing the nicest most loving thing you can do for yourself. There is a treasure waiting for you .
Old 01-11-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lionk22 View Post
I'm 10 days sober today, and I feel like I've come a really long way from just a week and a half ago. But I'm struggling a lot more than I thought I'd be today. It feels like I'm being tested. Today has been hell since the moment I walked into work, and my normal response would be going right home and opening a bottle of wine. I don't feel like the urge is strong enough to cause me to slip, but ugh - I just hate days like today. I don't really have an outlet or anyone to talk to on these bad days, so I just had to get it all out.

Ugh
I feel ya, but we're here and you can vent all you want. Even if you want to say what happened at work. That was my Monday and I wanted to shoot myself by the end of the day. Please share!! :ghug3
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Last night went great, I kept myself busy enough that I hardly thought about having a drink. I feel awesome this morning
Old 01-12-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lionk22 View Post
Thanks everyone! Last night went great, I kept myself busy enough that I hardly thought about having a drink. I feel awesome this morning
Great, do what you have to do.

If what you're doing quits working you are welcome to sit next to me at the meeting.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-12-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

That is great news Lionk22. You can do this, just get thru one day at a time.