Notices

binge drinking

Old 01-11-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

binge drinking

Im a newbie so please be patient just came off a 5 day bender,drinking jd all
week,this is first day of recovery any tips to staying sober i really want to before i loose my wife of 32 years and my job.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums. That's a lot to drink, you may want to get checked out by a doctor.
I'm hoping the taper works. I had to lose everything before I realized I had a problem.

What works for me is to think the first drink through to the end, and the misery and toll it will take. Just don't take that first dink, and you won't have to worry about the 20th.

Please keep us posted on your progress, there's lots of support here.

Best to you.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Brihan. Like you, I am new to this forum. I've not had a drink since new year's eve so still early days. I've found there's a lot of support and stories to share on this site but what work's for someone might not for someone else. I think determination and keeping yourself busy are key, and not putting yourself into those "trigger" situations if that is possible will definitely help in the early days.

Good luck, we are all in this together.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks ghostlight i will take on board your comments,im determined not to lift that first
drink.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Hi Brihan and welcome to SR.

I was a binge drinker also. Determination will take you far! Keep us posted and just take it one day at a time or even a minute at a time if you have to.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the site!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks lady in bc,i feel really low 2day looking on the forums is
keeping me sane the only way is up from here on in,hopefully
Old 01-11-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brihan19 View Post
Im a newbie so please be patient just came off a 5 day bender,drinking jd all
week,this is first day of recovery any tips to staying sober i really want to before i loose my wife of 32 years and my job.
I found that Alcoholics Anonymous was just the ticket to get me dry and keep me sober, sane and safe.

Please Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion", "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous". See if you identify.

All the best to you.

Bob R (A Scot in Canada)
Old 01-11-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Brihan 19

Something I'm finding useful is thinking about the addictive side to my personality. If I can get addicted to drinking alcohol than I can also get addicted to not drinking alcohol. I'm now addicted to having a few non-alcoholic drinks between 5 and 8pm rather than 20 units of alcohol. It's still compulsive behaviour but it's doing me much less harm than the booze. I find if you can just notch up three or four days it becomes easier. Every hour of not drinking is an hour's recovery time for your mind and body. Those hours soon add up.

Hang in there and best of luck!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
recovering using AVRT

I was a binge drinker too! I could go weeks, even months without drinking (not that I went that long often) but put a glass in my hand and it was all over with. I couldn't stop. I was obsessed. Life revolved around it.

Welcome to SR! When I made the decision to get sober Feb 2012 this was an excellent resource and I couldn't be more grateful for the support, encouragement and occasional tough love. Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks brazaville,i also have an addictive personality so hopefully
it will work for me sound advice..........ps its not easy.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome B! My dad is an alcoholic (me too) and he just lost my mom, his wife of 30 years, when she finally had to ask for a separation because he wouldn't quit. I hope you can get this sobriety thing because I know he's having a really hard time now that he feels he has lost the most important thing in his life. Unfortunately, drinking was also the most important thing in his life and if you put that first all you get are broken homes, job loss, jails, etc.

Put recovery first for a while and you will have a good chance. We are all here to help. I'm only on day 52 myself, but it gets easier. I go to AA. Some people do other things. Whatever works for you is best. Take care of yourself and get lots of rest if you can.

:ghug3
Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How are you Brihan? I'm a binge drinker too--which actually makes it easier to quit. I never drank every single day. Some days I was hungover

You need to find other things to do!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I went to several AA meetings in and around Glasgow, good groups with solid sobriety.

Reminded of a joke...The British Government is evaluating a plan to reduce binge drinking nationwide by 90%. It's called Scottish Independence.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi missy7thanks for sound advice,once i start i find i hard to stop,until i make
myself ill will have to take up a hobby.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi hamabi.thats cheered me up no end,thanks
Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Brihan

D
Old 01-11-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey kinda off topic but is drinking in the U.K. really as crazy as it looks on TV? I feel like half the stuff I see on BBC and in newspapers is about nothing but crazy British people falling into the gutter. I know media likes to exaggerate and I will never see a news story about the British guy who had 2 beers and went home to sleep but is it really that crazy?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I had a 4 day bender that ended Sunday and today is Day 5 of being Sober and I feel good! It's tempting to drink to feel "normal" again.. but you're just prolonging the inevitable. Just take lots of vitamins drinks lots of water.. Coconut water does wonders to hydrate. Hang in there and do this for you, your family, and just so you can feel GOOD (naturally) again.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, brihan!

I'm glad you've reached out for help. We understand the way others can't. I was drinking all day, every day when I found SR. There is support and hope here. We're so glad you joined us. Things will get better, we promise.