Notices

reaching out

Old 01-10-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation reaching out

Hi, iam new here. Im attempting to stop drinking on my own. I have had several failed attempts. Trying something new...hope this helps me
Old 01-10-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hello Shelly,

Welcome to the forums. Experience taught me that stopping drinking and using was something that I could not do on willpower alone. You need some type of support. A lot of people just use this forum for their recovery. There is also a lot of different recovery programs/methods available now. Some of the main players are Alcoholics Anonymous/SMART and AVRT. If you are serious about your recovery I suggest that you research a few of them.

Natom.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Shelly,

Glad you found this place. I would encourage you to read some of the threads, they have helped me see I am not the only one.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shelly12 View Post
Hi, iam new here. Im attempting to stop drinking on my own. I have had several failed attempts. Trying something new...hope this helps me
Hi Shelly. I'm new here too and am only on my second day of sobriety. I've been reading the posts for a couple of weeks though. It's really motivating and the folks here are very supportive.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome Shelly-glad you're going to keep trying. Lots of good info and people here to help
Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can go days or evn weeks without drinkng but when i break down and start, i get totally bombed and black out. I do stupid things and hurt ppl that i love. Usually i know this will happen but drink anyway thinking i will just have a couple, buts its NEVER a couple. Goes to waking up and not remembering what i did or said. Sick of it!!! Jst want to STOP!!!!!!!

Am i on the wrong site for this?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can go days or evn weeks without drinkng but when i break down and start, i get totally bombed and black out. I do stupid things and hurt ppl that i love. Usually i know this will happen but drink anyway thinking i will just have a couple, buts its NEVER a couple. Goes to waking up and not remembering what i did or said. Sick of it!!! Jst want to STOP!!!!!!!
Welcome here, hope you pick up some ideas useful to you.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Shelly!!

You are definetly on the right site. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow...isnt that the truth! Story of my life lol. I really do want this!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Shelly. I am on my 2nd day 4 after finally deciding to quit. I found the first time that i felt like i was "better" after about 30 days and quit reading the forum here. It was my only support other than myself. I gradually moved back to drinking daily again. This time i realize i will need support like SR, and maybe more if I want to truly stay sober. There are a lot of great people and great support here. The thing I like most is that it's always here, 24/7. You don't have to be at a specific meeting time or place. Whatever you decided, congrats on your decision to quit and best of luck.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Shelly

There aren't too many people who crack this thing first time out. I think it is a process. Each time I fail, I learn something new which I can use the next time.

"Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up"

Well done on finding these forums. There is so much experience here and you are not alone.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I do good on stopping for a few days and then go right back to it. Sometimes i dont even want to, but do it anyway. And its not just one or two drinks, its full blown hammered! I need to stay strong and avoid the urdge. As long as i "dont start" im golden. Its just getting past the urdge!!! Is not all the time, but when i want to drink, i want to! Make sense??
Old 01-10-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yep. We know all about it.

You need a lot of support. You could try popping in on the "January 2013 Class". There is a whole lot of people in there with only a few days of sobriety giving out some serious support and honesty about what we are all going through.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ok. Thanks for your advice. How do i get there? I will try anything...
Old 01-10-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! :ghug3
Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Shelly

the january thread is here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-12.html
Old 01-10-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No booze for this girl today!! Here is to tomorrow
Old 01-10-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very happy to meet you, shelly. You have a good attitude. Each day will get a little easier, and we'll be here to help.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you. This site is awesome!! Many amazing people here...should have done this a long time ago!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Shelly!

It really is baffling, isn't it? I made so many promises to myself to have "one or two" only to wake up in the morning thinking "Why did I do this to myself - AGAIN?"

I'm so glad you posted. It takes courage to admit we have a problem and reach out for help. Like the others have said - it really does get better and easier as you go. It takes a while for the mental part to go away, but it will. I had a lot of cravings at first.......just take them one at a time and come here often - that's what helped me the most!:ghug3