Notices

Music lovers..

Old 01-10-2013, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Music lovers..

Being a musician .. Music gets me through life (period) i was just wondering what songs you all listen to while in recovery to help you through the hard days..

Right now mine is kim burell ' open the door ' . It is a gospel song but it connects me to my high power and my mind off using. That and her voice is pure brilliance.. Lol..
Old 01-10-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Jackson by Johnny Cash. I'm a closet country fan. I'm English but wanna visit the states. I know I won't be able too if I relapse so it reminds me that one day I might end up in Jackson.

Natom.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

One of the things I used to do earlier in life was play guitar. I decided to get one a year or so ago and learn again but haven't really done much. Now that I've quit i'm planning to play more.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am a music man myself. Mandolin/ guitar player. I love music of all types. Bluegrass, jazz, classical, classic rock, indie. The Punch Brothers, Mumford and Sons, The Decemberists, The Black Keys are all frequently played in my car currently, but that changes from time to time. Ill still go through months at a time where Im listening to live Grateful Dead and nothing else.
I used to make fun of Christian Rock. Thought it was corny as heck, but I started to listen to they lyrics of a band called Caedmons Call. Their early stuff especially has inspired me.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Flyleaf are a good Christian rock band if you fancy rocking out whilst trying to find your higher power.

Natom.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Rob Halfords' band Fight and their album K5 is top recovery fuel for me ...
He's just done 27 years sober this week god bless him , long may he rock .

Bestwishes, M
Old 01-10-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Natom View Post
Jackson by Johnny Cash.
and don't forget June Carter... I was 11, I think, when the "Live at Folsom Prison" album came out... and my early adolescence was spent learning to play and sing the songs off that album ("Cocaine Blues", LOL)... and, listening to Johnny and June sing "Jackson" and wondering what it would be like married to June Carter... LOLOLOL

The hard days, early days.... well, I started exploring music that I had not listened to, but was interested in. Music that I had no prior associations in my addiction with and wouldn't trigger me too much... Ryan Adams, Hem (a kinda sophisticated NYC folk group with a female lead singer... whom, which interestingly enough, covered "Jackson" on one of their CDs, LOL), Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Mary Gauthier, Red Molly, Wailin' Jennys, John Hiatt... Oh jeez, lots of stuff ... and I opened myself to music I may have not considered previously... also, because sleep was hard and I had lots of anxiety... Meditation music by Liquid Mind, but after I started sleeping and settled down, I quit listening to that.

But it wasn't too long and I started to listen to as many Grateful Dead shows as I could find, got back into listening to Railroad Earth, Umphreys, WSP... all that.

Like you... Music is HUGE in my life...

But when I am looking for a spiritual experience with music... nothing beats settling down with my guitar and playing... Probably the song that speaks to me in recovery most, and challenges me when fingerpicking my guitar, is "Life's Railway to Heaven"... and some other stuff, some by the Carter Family and other old time appalachian music. "Lonesome Valley" comes to mind, by the Carters... I even tried writing one... "Troublesome Valley Road" after a road sign I saw in West Virginia on a camping trip, LOLOL... not much came of that... an A.P. Carter or Carter Stanley I am not!!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I try not to forget June. She was a talented vocalist. But Johnny just could just talk over some strumming and everyone would buy it. The guy also had his own personal problems with alcohol and drugs. Maybe the ghost of Johnny Cash should be my higher power?!!?!?! I'm onto something here.

Natom.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Johnny was deeply spiritual. Listen to "The Man Comes Around"... shivers...
Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I use my guitar as therapy in a way, but not any particular song related to alcohol or recovery. Maybe Got to Get Better in a Little While or Phish's song Theme from the Bottom. I do notice that my play has improved greatly since I quit 7 months ago. Scott, you will not be sorry if you start playing again. I highly recommend it. BB, my one bucket list instrument is a mandolin. I'm sure I will pick one up sooner rather than later.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

My sweet lord- George harrison
Eyes of the World- Grateful Dead
One Sweet World- Dave Matthews Band
Bug-Phish
Pleas- Widespread Panic
Pig- Dave Matthews Band
Touch of Grey- Grateful Dead
Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YEM View Post
Eyes of the World- Grateful Dead
Oh HELL yes... beautiful and spiritual... Check out Roosevelt Stadium 8/74 ... knock your socks off awesome...

Duane1... when I first saw your avatar and figured that was a reference to Robert Johnson and your username and I thought of Allman... Good stuff.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am a huge RUSH freak.....
Listening to their music just makes me feel good....period....
Most of their music has nothing to do with what I am currently going through but it just makes my day that much easier to deal with.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Oh HELL yes... beautiful and spiritual... Check out Roosevelt Stadium 8/74 ... knock your socks off awesome...

Duane1... when I first saw your avatar and figured that was a reference to Robert Johnson and your username and I thought of Allman... Good stuff.
Dont want to turn this into a GD thread, but yeah early 70s Eyes is where its at! Im usually a summer of '77 guy, but when it comes to Eyes '73 and '74 all the way. Go Phil!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have music playing 24/7. well, not when i sleep, but i hear music in my head, then, too, which sometimes does drive me a little crazy. anyway, i absolutely love Bob Dylan, The Beatles. i love classic rock, alternative, indie, lately more bluegrass and pickin' strummin' tunes (my new muse, Mumford and Sons) and Christian rock. also re-appreciating the 90s rock, Pearl Jam, GooGoo Dolls to name a couple. if there is such a thing as past lives, i was definitely a musician (piano probably). i remember falling in love with the whole music scene as a kid when i first heard the Beatles. And not just the music. it was the style, the flair, the entire package of what the band(s) represented. so much freedom in music. i think i read every single liner note on each and every album i purchased as a teen. i kill at music trivia, lol. i have a t-shirt that says "i may be old but i've seen all the cool bands". oh, did i mention i like music..... : )
Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilyrosemary View Post
i think i read every single liner note on each and every album i purchased as a teen.
Over and over.... LOL. That is something I really miss... It got smaller on CDs and then non existent with mp3s...

Back in the 80's, that game "Trivial Pursuit"... the music questions where the ones I did good on.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Happiest music for me is the early Elvis stuff from the '50's. "All Shook Up" "Don't Be Cruel" etc....