Notices

bowel issues (sorry)

Old 01-09-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

bowel issues (sorry)

Just curious as to anyone else has had the same results as me.
Sorry this can get a little gross so I hope I don`t offend anyone. before I quit drinking a month or so ago I was having anywhere between 3 to 6 dirty trips to the can.

Somedays I would spill out what would seem like a few gallons of pure liquid so needless to say if I knew I had an early appt, I would get up extra early to be sure that I purge before I left the house.
If I didn't purge before leaving it was a sure thing that I stop at a MacDonalds along the way or a field, whichever came first.
Since I have stopped drinking things are much different. I now goes once in the morning and although its not like a brick , it is much better.
Has any one else had the same situation.
Again I am sorry and don`t mean to offend.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was the same way. My intestines were so inflamed from daily doses of poison they could'nt absorb fluids anymore. The condition improved dramatically when I stopped drinking. I hope you are feeling better.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by escapist View Post
I was the same way. My intestines were so inflamed from daily doses of poison they could'nt absorb fluids anymore. The condition improved dramatically when I stopped drinking. I hope you are feeling better.
ah man thats so great to hear that I wasn`t the only one.
It actually was controlling my life and no way would I ever go out for dinner with friends in the same car because most times I wouldn`t even make it home from the restaurant without pulling over someplace to....well.....you know..
Thanks
Old 01-09-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

YEP!! It's pretty normal to be that way while drinking. That is another good reason to give it up...what a pain in the A--. LOL!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think thats pretty par for the course.
Glad things are improving Billeth.

D
Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I was going to ask the same question but since you did already I'd offer that while I dindn't have quite the problem before I stopped, things have definitely slowed down to almost a crawl the first few days after. Reminds me of when I used to be a nicotine addict too, my first hit of the day really got things "moving" so to speak...and I was bound up a bit after I quit that too. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was an explosive poo machine when I was drinking. By explosive I mean a ton of gas to go with the alien poo. During the last few years of drinking my body could no longer handle any nutrition. I never "bought a meal", I merely "rented a meal".....if you know what I mean. I'm already a small gal but during this time I dropped down to 82 lbs. It was disgusting but apparently not enough to get me to stop drinking.

It's all pretty much back to normal. Just one of the MANY perks of sobriety!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had problems only when I quit. The first 3 weeks i often nearly didn't make it to the loo! Sudden urgency to the extreme. I'm ok now, but that was definitely linked to quitting.

S x
Old 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was erratic before quitting. Sometimes fine, other times in and out of the bathroom. Definitely if I was hungover I was in there all morning. But I had Sazzles sort of experience for a few weeks early in my sobriety. But I also had a virus, possible flu for weeks.

I notice this week, I seem better than ever. Once in the morning.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yupp!!! I say thats pretty standard. I try and drink LOTS of water, eat SUPER healthy foods (lots of veggies) and add a fiber supplement to my diet (I use ground flax).
Old 01-09-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I used to think I had IBS or some other bowel-assaulting malady. Turns out it was just the alcoholism, and I couldn't (or wouldn't) connect the dots. I'm past the seventh month mark and it's like my system has never yet been so stable (that is, normal, healthy, no longer bedeviled by booze).

Best to you
Old 01-09-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberFallon View Post
I was an explosive poo machine when I was drinking. By explosive I mean a ton of gas to go with the alien poo. During the last few years of drinking my body could no longer handle any nutrition. I never "bought a meal", I merely "rented a meal".....if you know what I mean. I'm already a small gal but during this time I dropped down to 82 lbs. It was disgusting but apparently not enough to get me to stop drinking.

It's all pretty much back to normal. Just one of the MANY perks of sobriety!
oh boy, isn`t that the truth?
Thats the worst part, when it was time to go mine was explosive as well which on one hand was a relief if you were near a restroom but when it was time to go there was no lead time to search for the most comfortable restroom.

Lots of water and like another member mentioned, ground flax and fiber does help but when I was drinking the explosive nature of it overshadowed any healthy food and water I may have eaten.
It was coming out whether I was ready or not. That was very disturbing when I was with someone and all of a sudden I could feel something shift, after that it was exit stage left to the first acceptable location to.......well....um, let er go.
Thanks folks, I'm so glad I wasn't alone with that.
p.s, I love your analogy of renting a meal.......hahaha so true
Old 01-09-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oinobares View Post
I used to think I had IBS or some other bowel-assaulting malady. Turns out it was just the alcoholism, and I couldn't (or wouldn't) connect the dots. I'm past the seventh month mark and it's like my system has never yet been so stable (that is, normal, healthy, no longer bedeviled by booze).

Best to you

I agree with you totally, I was the same way, although my wife has been telling me all along that my booze consumption was creating what I was convinced was IBS.
Thanks and congrats on the 7 months
Old 01-09-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Yeah my digestive system definitely wasn't all that healthy before. Now that I've quit drinking and am eating a lot healthier, too, all seems to be pretty back to normal. Viola. Who'd have thought.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I must be entirely too immature but I love bathroom humor.....cracks me up.

I was actually diagnosed from a GI doctor with IBS about 2 1/2 years ago. I had a lot of invasive procedures done and medication prescribed. I never once mentioned to the GI doctor my excessive drinking and I was absolutely convinced that the potty issues had nothing to do with the no food/excessive alcohol thing.

Hmmm......now that I'm sober my diagnosed IBS seems to have disappeared for the most part. Occasional issues with certain foods but otherwise I'm the poster child for healthy BMs.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes!! I did the last 3 days but today Is back to normal. Diet after ur last drink is important I think. Brown rice I think saved me :P
Old 01-09-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

omg yes, I remember stopping at mcdonalds too! lol Glad thats over
Old 01-09-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I thought it was IBS too.

Then I stopped drinking. (today is day 50!)

Everything is a-ok now!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

me too
Old 01-09-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thankyou so much for raising this subject! I wanted to but was too embarrassed
I never really had an issue with bowel movements surprisingly.
Yet, since quitting 16 days ago things have quite literally ground to a halt, not good
Doc gave me a high fibre orange drink to have everyday, why is it that your bowels get so sluggish?