Notices

Need someone in Co. Mayo, Ireland to take me to an AA Meeting

Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need someone in Co. Mayo, Ireland to take me to an AA Meeting

Just wondering if there is anyone who's in the rooms who can introduce me to an AA Meeting, I have social anxiety disorder and find it hard to make the first step, thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can call the local number there and talk with someone...Explain your situation and they can arrange for someone to go with you...This happens a lot...The first one is always a doozey....It gets pretty comfortable after that...Welcome to the rooms!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awww, Brian, I wish I could sweetie!
Just remember, a lot of others at the meeting have social anxiety as well and will welcome you with open arms!! I think most of us have fear of a lot of people looking at us because we are a new face. Funny story, went to a packed noon meeting and the leader actually called on people. Not common in my area, we usually raise hands. He called on me, I went absolute blank. BLANK!! There was an uncomfortable silence for about 20 seconds and finally i started rambling something off the top of my head. I felt like a real tool lol! I didn't want people to think I wasn't paying attention, cause I was. My point is, These people love you and accept you any way you come, they know how hard it is to walk through the door. They know your pain. I hope you find someone to take you. If not, and you go alone, I'll bet you meet someone you can go with the next time
Old 01-08-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah...I can honestly say...I've met some of the nicest people in AA that I've ever met...I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact....They're just like me....We come from the same place.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

AA in Mayo
Old 01-08-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

If you call the Connaught helpline no.091-767777,they will put you in contact with someone who can take you to a meeting or meet you outside.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Yeah...I can honestly say...I've met some of the nicest people in AA that I've ever met...I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact....They're just like me....We come from the same place.
Well said! Totally agree!