Notices

Productive member of society/gratitude

Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Productive member of society/gratitude

I wasn't really sure of what to call this thread. Something happened to me today that restored my faith in mankind and in my recovery. I've started to believe that I may actually be turning into the productive, responsible member of society that is described in the literature of Narcotics Anonymous. I have recently become a salesman. I sell kitchens, bathrooms and bedrooms for a large DIY firm. As part of my job I have to observe a certain standard of customer service however I always try to go above this. And this is where my feel good story for the day comes in.

I helped a couple the other day who wanted to buy some new units and worktops for their kitchen. I let them know all the options and the different types of products and they seemed very happy. I gave them the link to our customer satisfaction survey and the hours I was next in and they said they would come into see me. So this morning when I got into work the couple came bounding upto me in front of my manager smiling and joking with me and told me they would come back to place their order in a little bit (my manager was kinda like 'Whoa they're happy'. It made me look good lol.

So they came back and I processed their order and had a chat about life whilst the computer system was borderline crashing. As I was taking them down to the checkouts they tried handing me what looked like £30/$50 as a tip. Although company policy says otherwise I could have accepted this. God knows if I was using I would have, that would been a bottle of spirits or half a gram of my DOC, cocaine. I politely declined and asked them to donate it to Breast Cancer Research instead. They seemed very happy to do this and said they will be making the donation in my name. I felt a sudden warm glow and thought to myself 'I'm actually a good person. I'm a human being. I have compassion. I have empathy. I'm living' and had a spiritual epiphany right there on the shopfloor.

So an hour or so later I get dragged into the managers office. Whenever I get called into the managers office I always assume I am going to get told off for something and if I don't it's a bonus. However the store manager just wanted to inform me that the customers I had just served left us some feedback with my name plastered all over it. Apparently the customers thought I was absolutely brilliant. And as a result I'm being given an extra ten hours worth of work a week whilst we are hitting targets. Which is a well needed financial boost.

So I guess my faith in myself and my recovery was restored today due to 2 lovely customers. Just needed to share.

Cheers,

Natom.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Beautiful, Natom! Amazing how we grow when we rid our bodies of poison! Everything good we do in this world comes back to us. Hope you get back ten fold!! Your story put a smile on my face today, thanks for sharing
Old 01-08-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

A Higher Power moment. Such a cool story. One of the best things about sobriety is that I like who I see in the mirror in the morning.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very nice and very nice that you appreciated the moment so much. Good for you.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a great post, thank you for sharing Natom!

Xx
Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Aww, that's ace Natom. Well done x