Notices

Worried about the upcoming weekend

Old 01-08-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about the upcoming weekend

This weekend I am hosting two work related functions that will both involve alcohol. I committed to them months ago (and was at the time excited for a reason to drink). However I am very worried that I am going to compromise my sobriety. Any suggestions in how to get through two weekend nights of hosting drinking events?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Have plenty of non alcohol choices in mind before you go. Bring a camera, taking pictures is a great distraction. Give yourself pep talks before, talk your AV down beforehand so there are no excuses left by partytime. Remember it's only a few hours in the whole scheme of things. Good luck!

If you have a smartphone, bring SR along with you.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Freefall you will be there with me this weekend! Thanks for the great suggestion. I am going to get a lot of diet coke and just make me virgin rum and cokes. The picture Idea is pretty good. Also since I will be the host I plan to make myself busy attending to the guests, moving between people a lot and staying busy trying to make sure people have what they need
Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would also say think about what achool has done to you in the past and would you want a drink to compromise your work environment with the way it has cause you to act back wen it had power of you.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ddrayer, all I can say is that I commuted for years to NYC and ALWAYS thought that everyone drank (those stupid little bottles). The shock for me was that only myself and one other person "armed themselves" with those drinks.

Look around at this event and notice how few people drink. Hang with them-they are the 90% of the population.

BTW, I speak from a position of "giving in" rather than listening to my own words...
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You don't drink alcohol anymore, so don't drink alcohol under any circumstance.

Don't over complicate this.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome Xune, thanks for the kick in the pants so to speak. You are correct of course, but the reminder was useful!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
YEM
05/07/2011

I think we alienate ourselves in our heads way more than what is actually going on in real life. "I need to drink to have fun." "Everyone will notice I am not drinking." Etc... Take a minute and think about how much time you actually think about or worry about what someone else is doing, for me I usually notice what others are doing but dont put much thought into it. I bet the same applies to most other people.

I like what Xune said above. You dont drink anymore. If someone calls you on it, just say you set a goal for yourself to not drink for a while. Anyone who doesnt respect your goals, doesnt deserve your respect. Have fun at your events!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I had to hostess a bridal shower after I got sober and some of the girls brought wine (my fav). It was a bit disconcerting at first, but then I realized how little they actually were drinking. Some of the girls had a few sips and that was it! wow.....

I think that day I realized alcohol is only OK in tiny, tiny amounts and it's a non-issue for most people. For 8-10% of the population though (that would be us!), there are no tiny amounts, just huge doses which become pure poison and destroy us. As I went through the party, I just imagined a skull and crossbones on those bottles - they might as well have been anti-freeze!

You'll be really busy, which will be good. Just keep your mind on being there as a service to others. It's normal to be nervous, but if you really feel you're going to have a hard time, find someone to be there with you and help you out. We'll be here thinking about you! :ghug3
Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

May I suggest keeping an eye on your glass? Find a way to mark it or have glasses specially for alcohol or soda? No need to make a careless mistake!
Also, think about how much better you will seem to co-workers and your boss being sober. I've been drunk k at so many work events it blows my mind I stayed employed! I told off a Dr I worked for telling him he Was cheap and a ****** boss then I kicked the door!!
Do better. You know you can!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow sunshine, don't know if I've gone that far but I am fairly surprised I'm still employed at this point! Thanks for the words of wisdom
Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ddrayer- good luck his weekend. I'm sure everything will he great and you will make it through unscathed!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Remember not to let yourself get hungry or overly tired, as they can be triggers, especially in early sobriety. Perhaps slipping away for short breaks to check into SR would be helpful?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
hey ddrayer,
I was thinking what Xune said. You don't drink, so don't let these events get all into your head and freak you out. I would look at it just like any other day in my life...it has zero to do with drinking. It's just your addictive voice trying to convince you it does. That's ridiculous. Ignore. Carry on and host your party with panache.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just watch and realize two things. How little people actually drink and for the drinkers watch how annoying they become the more they drink. It will be eye opening.