Notices

Fags and booze; the double quit?

Old 01-08-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fags and booze; the double quit?

I had a really successful quit in December ... urm, well, until I got absolutely tanked and made a show of myself for about a week over Christmas. Oh, the regret ... nevermind. Now I'm back on the wagon and again feeling all the benefits of it (8 days in).

I am going to give up smoking tomorrow. I know it's quite early to do it having only just got sober, but honestly I feel like I'll be in the stop-start circle of; only fags, only booze, booze and fags, only fags, only booze and so on forever if I don't just get it done. I say no booze, no fags is worth a shot (not that kind of shot).

Has anyone else done the all-in-one quit? Was it okay? I smoke lights so I'm hoping not to suffer too terribly!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I never have. I would love to quit smoking but my nicotine addiction does not agree. More power to you. Glad you are back into sobreity. We are'nt born needing alcohol and cigs to survive but somehow we come to believe we are. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Good luck! I know where I live, in detox they give you the patch and you have no choice but to quit smoking while you are there. And if you are caught smoking or picking up butts on the street (they go for walks) and smoking them, they kick you out.

I personally am not ready to give up the cigs yet.

And congrats on 8 days!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I never smoked but had a really bad smokeless tobacco habit for years. I quit cold turkey about 3 years ago but was still drinking of course. Best of luck if you try both at once
Old 01-08-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Like Scott above said, quit my copenhagen about 2 months after being sober. Going on 4 months now without the drink.

It can be done. I think my mouth likes what I did.

GoodLuck
Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovered

For me, smoking, drugging, and drinking went together. I needed to quit them all as one would lead me back to the other.

And nothing beats the feeling of being free of all chemicals!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I waited over 5 years after I quit drinking to finally quit smoking. I wish I had not waited. People said "one thing at a time...it's too stressful to quit both". Boy my nicotine addiction LOVED hearing that!!! There are people here and I know a couple IRL too that quit both at once. I agree with mfanch...nothing beats being completely chemical free!!!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I smoke cigars when I drink. I am not drinking, so I am not smoking. I'm with you.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Smoking was something I always did while drinking. That was a fact. I am trying to quit the cigs now, too. Exercising sure helps and the nicotine cessation products help as well.

Wish you all the best on your journey.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

I quit drinking, smoking and weed the same day. So far....so good
Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I quit both alcohol and nicotine at the same time. I'm on day 19 and I feel fabulous! I have been extremely lucky in that I have had only mild, if any, withdrawal symptoms. What is making it easier for me is that I am very invested in eating better and exercising since the new year began. It takes my mind off what I "gave up" because now I'm so excited about what I'm gaining.

I recommend Allan Carr's The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. It took me many, many tries to get to this point... but it's 100% worth it. The same tactics you are using to not drink can be used to not smoke. Good luck, friend. You won't regret it!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I quit smoking 20 a day back in 2008.

I quit drinking 3 months ago.

My body feels clean and my mind is following..

I know I will not risk this way of life.

THANKS TO ALLEN CARR FOR BOTH QUITS!!!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RainingInMyHead View Post
I quit both alcohol and nicotine at the same time. I'm on day 19 and I feel fabulous! I have been extremely lucky in that I have had only mild, if any, withdrawal symptoms. What is making it easier for me is that I am very invested in eating better and exercising since the new year began. It takes my mind off what I "gave up" because now I'm so excited about what I'm gaining.

I recommend Allan Carr's The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. It took me many, many tries to get to this point... but it's 100% worth it. The same tactics you are using to not drink can be used to not smoke. Good luck, friend. You won't regret it!
Hi there! It was a co-incidence that you mentioned Allen Carr right before I posted..his books really hit the nail on the head.

I have a theory about who his process works on...are you a logical thinker who is good with numbers by any chance?
Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am amazed at the people who were able to quit both at the same time. My counselor said to go easy on myself and keep the 3 pack a day habit for at least a year into sobriety. I know I would NEVER have made it if I had to do both at one time. ....but if you can , and some do, more power to ya. I waited the year , it was good for me.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I really felt like I had no choice but to quit both at the same time. I have given up smoking but still drank but I had never drank and not smoked. To be honest I thought it made it easier, I didn't know which one was bothering me the most. I used nicotine replacement for the first few weeks, even though I'm an Allen Carr fan. I was just trying to make things easy on myself. There are loads of options out there now, Champix, NRT, ecigs... I say go for it, it is definitely doable x
Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I did both two years ago. Dont regret it now but it is hard going,
Old 01-08-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

SoberRo; Today will be my 7th day with no cigarettes and scotch. There are temptations and withdrawals such as coughing and sleeping but i set my mind to achieve this goal and no one will get in my way!

This forum is my mastermind group.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I gave everything up 13 years ago all at once (amphetamines, pot, drinking, smoking)....it was tough but it did take care of everything with one foul swoop. This time I don't smoke but staggered giving up opiates, then benzos then alcohol and it's been just as hard. If not harder.

Good luck, you can do it.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I quit both 33 days ago,cold turkey....So far so good....Booze cravings come and go,sometimes they are real bad....Cigarette cravings ain't so bad....I originally quit both 6 months ago but have fell off the wagon three times so you have always gotta be on guard...I find drinking lots of water and eating plenty of fruit is good for me,but I also like to munch on lots of chocolate and ice cream too,gotta be better than fags and booze.....
Old 01-08-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I quit smoking four months after I quit drinking. I don't think I could have done both at the same time, but I do believe it is possible and most definitely doable! Quitting alcohol and learning how to control urges and the thought processes that come along with quitting addictions really helped to prepare me for quitting smoking... I felt like I could do anything after I'd quit drinking for a while, and that feeling really spurred me on to quit smoking.

I'm 9 months sober now and 5 months off the cigarettes and I feel SO healthy!

You can do it!