Notices

First post withdrawal questions

Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First post withdrawal questions

Hello. I am 38 and for years drank mainly wine. About 3 years ago I started to notice issues with balance disorders and lightheaded ness. I have had brain MRI and all looks fine, labs are fine, blood work is all fine. The doctors put me on klonopin which I am on a slow taper now. I have really slowed down over the last year drinking for weeks at a time then would have a few here and there. What is good is due to a Christian lifestyle now I do not crave alcohol like I use to. My question is this. Has anyone else suffered from being light headed, weird feelings in my head like a brain fog and when you walk ( while I have never fallen feel like I am going to lose balance). When I felt this way in the past and would drink when I had a few drinks it would take the edge off and the symptoms would go away. So sometimes I think my brain is searching for the alcohol. If others have this feeling how long does it take to get your mind right again. Thanks all
Old 01-07-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes definitely felt that way coming of Valium and now alcohol. I would ask your doctor about it though to be safe
Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thx. How long did the feelings last? Did it just take time or did u do things to help out?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is ony my personal experience but I gave up the benzos about 7 weeks ago and the symptoms peaked around 2/3 weeks and only alcohol would fix them. They slowly got better after that but I gave up drinking just a week ago and they have come back though not quite as bad, or maybe I'm not so anxious about them now because I know what they are. The others took me by surprise because I didn't know anything about benzo withdrawal. I went cold turkey pretty much so I imagine tapering would be different and obviously make the process longer (but safer) I have learnt alot from lovely people on here (GG!). It literally felt like the ground was shaking and I would lose focus. Or that feeling of being on a high tower and it swaying in the breeze. Awful! They just naturally subsided after the benzos. I didn't really do anything to help myself apart from exercise and drink loads of water.

Maybe chat to the doc about whether or not he:/she thinks it's normal. It sounds like you haven't been drinking for quite awhile?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

But even when I was in recovery for many years (only relapsed this year) my brain was always foggy! I think alot of it is anxiety with me.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

Sometimes you have to push Drs into doing more tests - if this is the same kind of symptoms you've had for 3 years common sense suggests there's something that needs looking at?

add to that the benzo taper - I've not done it, but coming off benzoes can be tricky, by all accounts.

Why not check in with your Dr, Paul and share your concerns?

D
Old 01-07-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As far as the drinking pre2012 it was almost daily for 5 or 6 years. No hard liquor just wine with dinner then kept filing the glass. No other drugs at all. In 2012 I would go 2 weeks without then 2 nights the back off for a couple weeks. Never longer than one mth but I am fully committed this time. I worry that I did permanent damage but brain MRI was fine so I need to accept what is and give it time. I take a quarter of one pill per day of benzo (not a large dose) but like I Said I think my brain is seeking the benzo and the wine sensation which is why when I would have a drink I would get the normal feeling back. So now it is just the feeling like I am walking on the boat, sometimes vision focus in and out.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's a good way to describe it! Walking on a boat! That's exactly how I felt / feel. Still check with your doc but of be willing to bet it's the benzo taper.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thx d. The doctors feel as though it is an inner ear vertigo issue since they have run all kinds of test. I keep reading u need to abstain for a while but I never have so hoping this time will be different
Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ive had those symptoms, along with INTENSE paranoia. I keep in close contact with my MD. I strongly suggest you do the same!
Beware of benzos....they work great, than can cause one hell of a tailspin when coming off (or that has been my experience).

Best of luck
Old 01-07-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Windancer. How long did your balance issues persist
Old 01-07-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've had the lack of balance issues when discontinuing drinking. I think the body adjusts to alcohol and when you stop, it has to readjust in a number of ways including of course getting to sleep. I have a prescribed tranquilizer to help with that, but I hate the way it feel out of it and it really throws my balance off, so I don't use it.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Midlife, Paul: I am so glad I am not the only one who gets these feelings. I also am doing a Valium taper and quit drinking wine. But the balance, almost vertigo feeling persists.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am glad I'm not alone also. I am not glad anyone else is feeling this way but, you know what I mean. It reassures me that it's not a brain tumour or something!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eliz181144 View Post
Midlife, Paul: I am so glad I am not the only one who gets these feelings. I also am doing a Valium taper and quit drinking wine. But the balance, almost vertigo feeling persists.
How long have you been off the wine? And how quick is the taper?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

just closing in on day 7 off the wine and the taper has me down to 10 mgs of Valium. I used to take (at my high) 20-25mgs daily to beat back hangovers and sleep through them.

i hope to be off the valium in a month or so but who knows...kind of hard to imagine being on nothing.