Notices

cooking with alcohol

Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cooking with alcohol

I came across this site when I googled "is it ok for alcoholics to eat food cooked with alcohol" If this issue was something talked about at meetings or had a dedicated chapter in the Big Book I would already have my definitive answer. My experience is that early in Recovery this would not have been an issue since I did not eat at restaurants or cook for myself, I would suffice to eat pbj's and cereal and pretty much nothing else. I have been sober for over two years now. I am active in AA. My apartment complex where I live is composed of sober people, no drinking goes on under my roof whatsoever. These past few weeks I have been staying with my family, and they all drink moderately, needless to say there is alcohol around the house. I have not once been tempted to take a drink. The Big Book clearly says that so long as I remain in fit spiritual condition and have the right motives I can remain sober and have no need to be in fear. I have, over the course of these past two years, eaten food that has been cooked with wine, only because I had no idea that it was cooked that way until I had already eaten it. It did not cause me to take a drink. Twice this past week, in the home of my family, dinner was prepared separately for me because the recipe they were using included wine, and I made it clear that, though I would not consider it a relapse, since the alcohol cooks off so there is no way it could get you loaded, I would rather abstain from it if possible. Well, I thought one of the measuring spoons that was used to measure wine got mixed up with my batch that consisted of non-alcohol ingredients, and I decided that I was not going to let that ruin a meal. If indeed it had, it was all going to be cooked out. Funny thing is that there was no contamination after all because the spoon with the wine on it got washed off immediately. I know guys in the program that I respect, that eat food cooked with alcohol, or have, though they are the minority. Needless to say, dinner that night did not remind me of drinking, I have not picked up a drink, and do not plan on drinking today. I will be back to my sober environment and regular meetings in a couple of days. It comes down to this, it is a personal choice, I believe, that is between the alcoholic and their Higher Power. If you do not feel comfortable with it then by all means abstain, there are plenty of substitutes for wine that are just as good in food. If you are new to recovery then stay away. Thank you for letting me share. I take my recovery and sobriety and recovery seriously. What do you think?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds fine to me... I neither search out and eat food that is cooked with alcohol, nor do I run frantically away from it...

Now if my food was swimming in a bowl of wine or something, I might avoid it, LOL...
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think I have eaten food with alcohol in it at my sisters though I may be being paranoid. If I can't taste it I'm not bothered really. I have eaten things where I could taste the alcohol so I stopped eating them. It is definitely a trigger with me, it doesn't matter if it is fairly low alcoholic, if it still tastes like alcohol/wine then it will make me want the real thing. Not least because I was the sort who made food with alcohol as an excuse to open a second bottle.

I actively avoid it, and have told my family I don't eat stuff with alcohol in it. I rarely see them anyway. My sis was really respectful when I told her and said 'yeah, it's just like I don't eat dairy'.

I used to be vegetarian so I am no stranger to having people think I am an awkward dinner guest anyway, but then it's my decision what I choose to eat.

Welcome to SR SoberSince2010 x
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome to SR!

This topic comes up fairly often around here. I agree, it's a personal choice. Sounds like you had a great time with your family!

Just FYI - alcohol does not burn off completely. Check out this link: Alcohol Burn-off Chart

Still, I agree, it's probably not an amount that will get someone loaded. In general, I choose not to eat food cooked with alcohol. It seems to me some recipes still taste of alcohol. Just my personal choice.

You're right about substitutes for cooking with wine. Check out this link: Alcohol Cooking Substitutions - Alcohol Substitute Recipes
Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love to cook. I make a great sauce. I always used to put wine in it, and kept a bottle of cheap wine in the cupboard just for sauce. I didn't normally drink wine, but in the past had emptied that bottle when I ran out of beer/whiskey. When I first stopped drinking, I kept the wine there. Six months later I dumped it out. I couldn't keep it there anymore. I really don't notice a difference in my sauce with out it.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Interesting topic, I actually just flamed up a steak with some brandy about 45 minutes ago. I love to cook and I use alcohol in various recipes- mostly brandy to flambee things like certain fish or meats. The funny thing is brandy absolutely disgusts me though on its own. I never drank it even in some desperate late night situations when I ran out of beer or something so for me if it doesn't make me want or think of alcohol I think its ok.

A similar topic came up with dairy awhile ago and I love kefir which technically can have a little alcohol in it but its just so far from a trigger for me there is no way I'm giving it up. The last thing I think of when I'm drinking a glass of kefir with breakfast is boozing it up.

As for that alcohol burn off chart it seems completely off- there is no way 75% of the alcohol from liquor is remaining after being flamed up in a hot pan. I wouldn't be able to tolerate a piece of fish with 75% of the alcohol from the brandy on it- there's no way.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Take it up with the US Dept of Agriculture, Ohio

This is one of things where there are strong emotions on either side of the fence.

I was pretty cavalier at the start - I take things more seriously now.

I don't cook with alcohol because my house is alcohol free and I never knowingly ingest meals cooked in alcohol cos the taste really puts me off.

Going on 6 years now...I don't miss it.

D
Old 01-07-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

The way I understand it is, it depends on the cooking method and cooking time.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wouldn't have a problem eating food cooked with alcohol if someone else cooked it and it was just served to me. I would have a problem cooking with alcohol though. Or more to the point I would have a problem with the leftover bottle
Old 01-07-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think it is an individual thing. If it's a trigger for you then DON'T DO IT. For me it is not. The smell of cooking with alcohol and the taste of food cooked in alcohol is just different for me than something that is in a glass or bottle being served as a beverage. That being said, if I'm going to cook with any type of alcohol I only purchase exactly what I am going to use. Meaning a single serving bottle of wine or one bottle of beer. No dish I make uses more that that amount and all are cooked for about an hour. Plus with purchasing the small containers there is none in the house left over in a state that is tempting for me. Just my two cents based on where I am in life now... it may change.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have not had this issue happen yet, but I would avoid it at all costs. I saw that chart myself. Depends on cooking methods. Why tempt myself.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks you guys. I have not forgotten the pitiful incomprehensible demoralization that comes with that first drink or drug. So don't do it your worth it!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do miss beer bread with homemade soup....and it's easy to make....but heck, there are many other good breads so I do without it!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I agree with others that it's about the trigger. I've cooked with alcohol but honestly I prefer not too. It felt a little like white-knuckling through the process. Especially since I used to take big swigs of the wine or beer as I cooked! However, I now drink diet tonic and a dash of bitters, which is alcohol. It's very little, and never triggers any feelings. If you are feeling funny about it, I say avoid it. No use tempting yourself.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

The following chart data comes from the U.S. Department of Agriculture with information on how much alcohol remains in your food with specific cooking methods. Keep in mind that this is the percentage of alcohol remaining of the original addition. (see link above)

The amount of time something is cooked along with other factors are taken into consideration.

If you search "alcohol burn off chart" there's a lot of information on substitutes available.

Some people are sensitive to alcohol in other things such as after shave or perfume, mouth wash or other items.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I do enjoy cooking, and I do cook a lot, and some recipes are better with some alcohol in them (and some will just not work without). I'm only on my day 3 now but during my previous alcohol-free life periods, I never had any problems with some Chinese sour fish marinated in cooking wine, or some tiramisu.
But I agree, it's really an individual thing. I can have some alcohol around the house (we actually do, as we are sharing the house with relatives atm) and be just fine. I don't feel more uncomfortable opening the fridge with a bottle of wine in it than passing a liquor store or a pub. Good food is another one of my addictions, and I am not ready to give that one up.