Notices

Nervous, looking for feedback please!!

Old 01-06-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nervous, looking for feedback please!!

I am 26 years old and have been drinking solidly for the past 3 years. always in the evening, every single night. I used to be heavily into vodka and what not, but the past year has been (with random week long periods of abstinence with no symptoms) mainly a bottle of red wine every single night. I am at the point where I noticed, maybe 2 or so months ago, that spending a weekend away from alcohol resulted in the shakes and anxiety. It passed the next morning. I went back to my old ways after that but am now in a position of no return and have to quit.

I am extremely nervous about withdrawal symptoms--particularly seizures. As of this morning when I decided to quit once and for all, all the research/comments I've found say that if I quit cold turkey, chances are high that I wil experience seizures. To avoid this, I am going to try "tapering" rather than cold turkey-ing it. I was hungover most of the day and began feeling the shakes and borderline panic attack coming on around 5 PM. I decided to take 2 shots of gin (gross, I know. it was all that was leftover in my house. a remnant from the last "good idea" i had...). it sort of helped to calm me down, but not like I was hoping. It is now almost midnight, sleep is nowhere in sight (I only have to be up for work at 5 AM!) and think I am just BARELY starting to feel less anxious and twitchy/shaky. Knock on wood...

I guess my question is this: with my alcohol habits and duration of the habit, does anyone have insight or experience they can give me as to whether or not it could be safe to try cold turkey or should I stick to weaning myself? And please, please, don't recommend doctors and in-patient treatment. it is absolutely not an option for a plethora of reasons.

I appreciate you time!!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Junemuse,

We cannot offer any medical advice on here. Withdrawal is very difficult to anticipate as it varies from person to person. However, i can share my experience with you. It sounds like we were similar drinkers. I made many attempts to give up on my own, none of which were successful. I didn't find it particularly difficult to stop drinking, but i found it extremely difficult to stay stopped. I needed and still need a lot of outside help to stay stopped. If you are considering AA, ring the helpline and someone will be glad to chat to you i'm sure. Otherwise, look into setting up some therapy or suchlike.

Best of luck xxx
Old 01-06-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Withdrawal is different for everyone so it wouldn't hurt seeing a doctor.

I had a very hard time quitting on my own. I actually got a drug and alcohol counsellor and he sent me to daytox. I found this very helpful.

AA is also good, people there are very supportive. And this site is also really good!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Junemuse

Like katysue said we can't give you medical advice here.
That's in your best interests

If you're worried about withdrawal, I think the best thing to do is see a Dr, and get yourself checked out.

That way you can set your mind at ease, and be safe as well

Sorry if that's not an answer that's acceptable to you, but I wouldn't be doing you any favours suggesting anything else.

D
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

katysue

Thanks for the feedback! Given the reasons I choose to drink, I am unsure how difficult it will be for me to remain sober. It's not life stress-related, but started (and remained) as a quickie fix for an inability to sleep. I understand that it is probably still pretty ingrained in me as a behaviour or go-to. I guess we'll see.

I wish you luck on your journey! I also appreciate the therapy advise. That may end up being a wonderful source of support
Old 01-06-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Why can't you go to the doctor?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Everyone is different. If it gets bad than do the right thing and see a doctor and worry about the aftermath later. Alcohol detox can kill. It's better to feel shame than nothing at all. Sorry but a doctor is the safest bet.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

dee,

No worries! I'm not really looking for advice so much as just looking to be comforted by hearing other people's experiences--good or bad. This is just all new to me, so thought I might start here.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Join the January group. It will help you more than you can imagine right now.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

You may find this thread useful...it's harrowing reading in parts but if experiences is what you want, this is the place to start....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D
Old 01-06-2013, 10:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You guys are fantastic, thank you so much!!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3
Old 01-07-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

I have done the whole cold turkey thing a few times, but i always have my parnter with me just in case i flip out...

Why not see a doc you have nothing to lose.