Notices

Benadryls

Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Benadryls

I'm beginning to feel that I'm getting addicted to the benadryls, I feel that I can't sleep without it. I started taking benadryls because I have a nervous condition and allergies really bad my doctor gave me a script for allergy medication it worked for awhile but when my allergies get bad they don't help much so I started to take the benadryls and noticed that I don't itch and it keeps my allergies at bay I only take it at night, how can I not go without it
Old 01-06-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. OTC drugs can also be habit forming. Can you talk to your doctor and see what s/he recommends? Have you tried lowering the dosage? Maybe you could take 1/2 a tablet/capsule and see if it helps. Then a little less.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nina - welcome

Benadryl abuse is not something I'm familiar with, but there've been a number of threads on Benadryl, mostly in our Substance Abuse forum, so you're definitely not alone with this.

I think seeing a Dr is always good general advice

D
Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I used to take benadryl for sleep but found I had to keep increasing the dose to get the same effect. I quit taking them and it took a while to get into a normal sleeping pattern but it did get better with time.

All the best. :ghug3
Old 01-07-2013, 04:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I take benadryl every night. I have a dog and I love her dearly, but I am allergic to her. No benadryl means that I get hives and boogers.

I can live with taking a benadryl every day. It's certainly not causing any problems in my life. If you're really concerned, your doctor is your best bet.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There are lots of over the counter allergy meds that are non drowsy. Talk to your doctor.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FinallyFinished View Post
I take benadryl every night. I have a dog and I love her dearly, but I am allergic to her. No benadryl means that I get hives and boogers.

I can live with taking a benadryl every day. It's certainly not causing any problems in my life. If you're really concerned, your doctor is your best bet.
Just curious, why wouldn't you take a none drowsy medication like reactin, claritin or aereous?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Claritin etc doesn't work on my skin, which is where I have most of my reactions. I really don't stress over it, it's just what works best for me.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It sounds like you need to get a referral to a allergist. The compound in Benadryl which also helps with sleep is the same chemical used in Tylenol PM and other over the counter sleep medicines. They do not work well long term as the body becomes used to them and require higher doses.

A Doctor will be able to help you manage your allergies and anxiety. Generally speaking a few things have helped me deal with Anxiety, Cutting Gradually reducing Caffeine intake, At least 15 minutes of strenuous exercise (Jogging,running, jump rope, swimming, stair climbing, bike riding, even just brisk walking) Trying to get a good nights sleep, Taking a hot bath a few hours before bed and reducing computer useage a few hours before bedtime. Lying down in a dark quiet room, deep breathing. Cognitive Behaviorial Therapy, All these and more really helps me get a handle on my anxiety.
Perhaps it can be of help to you.

Of course speak to your Doctor first and foremost and be open and honest about any and all the issues, It helps me to write down a list of my questions I want to ask my Doctor, prior to my appointment. With a list of questions in hand, I am more likely to not forget to tell or ask my Doctor, important questions.

Best of luck to you,
Best.
S
Old 01-07-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I take OTC sleep meds containing diphenhydramine, the active ingredient in Benadryl. I have had insomnia my entire life, even as an infant according to my mom, and the diphenhydramine helps me sleep. I can't afford ambiens because I'm uninsured, or I'd probably take them. The good news is, they're not addictive, at all. If you feel you're addicted to them, it's just a psychological addiction. If you want to stop, all you have to do is convince yourself to stop. I know that can be easier said than done, but I'm basically just trying to say that there are no physically addictive properties to deal with.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm basically just trying to say that there are no physically addictive properties to deal with.
I did a quick search and there's dozens of threads on this - it's obviously a problem for a lot of people.

D