letting creativity flow

Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

letting creativity flow

I've avoided my art since the break up. I had no desire..yesterday I stopped in the little shop where I discovered the love of making stained glass. My mentor asked me how my pieces were going and I just broke down. "We" (exabf and I) had worked on stained glass together. I have avoided it and watched my materials gather dust.

Yesterday evening I began to think about us making glass together. How he always picked the pattern, the glass, the recipient; how he would constantly criticise the way I held the glass cutter, the pressure I used, my soldering skills, my finishing skills.

I hated doing glass with him. It caused me great anxiety. His constant looking over my shoulder and critiquing every single thing..always negative. He ruined several pieces while drunk and would just shrug it off; but if I scrapped a small amount of glass, he would complain about it for
days and bring it up months later.

So this afternoon...I pulled up a new pattern I liked, picked my glass and dusted it off and began on my first single project. As i write this, my piece is half way done. I love it; I've enjoyed every second I worked on it. 3 hrs passed and I didn't even realize it! Found some joy today. Something to be thankful for.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hooray for you. Keep on enjoying your creativity. You are an inspiration. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm an oil painter and my AH used to tell me how this or that painting sucked when he was drunk. They really know how to inflict maximum hurt. I, too, gradually quit painting unless he was away and I never showed him my art.

Fortunately, he's gone now, so I'm back to painting!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome - that is nice!

I like to paint too... my axbf was encouraging but wanted ALL of my time and attention to be with him or out drinking with his friends. Being alone to do my own thing was never really an option or he would accuse me of not meeting his needs...

it's been nice to focus on things I like to do!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's absolutely awesome!

L
Old 01-07-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Wonderful!!!!

I also went back to the 'artistic world' - recently I discovered my love for fashion illustration - I ALWAYS wanted to do that kind of illustration - the hours pass and I barely notice it. I hope you continue making your glasses and see each of them as an expression of your newfound freedom.

People unable to appreciate art are very boring, in my book !!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

YAY for you!!! This post makes me smile ear to ear. I hope you're able to maybe post a picture when you're done?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Recovering2 View Post
YAY for you!!! This post makes me smile ear to ear. I hope you're able to maybe post a picture when you're done?
Sure!