Notices

How long until the pains go away?

Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face How long until the pains go away?

Hi everyone! I am now on day 6 of my new journey and I pretty much chose to quit drinking because I knew it was getting out of hand and it was making me physically sick. The last week I still drank even though it hurt my insides! I am doing this all on my own and it has been obviously difficult on the nerves and I am still experiencing the aches and stings unfortunately. Does anyone else have or have had these issues? I am too proud to go to the ER but I feel like I should, I guess I dont want to hear what they might have to say. Any suggestions, opinions, etc are welcome!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Welcome to SR

Jess - we have all had the same experience. It will get better as the days pass and the discomfort you are feeling will go away with time spent sober.

Instead of the ER, you may want to talk to your Dr.

If your are feeling anxiety, I suggest that you go for a walk and take deep breath's as you walk....in through the nose and out through your mouth. This is the only way I could feel better when anxiety got the best of me.

Congratulations on your Sobriety!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi jesslou - welcome

Definitely do see your Dr if you're in pain or go to the ER if you think it's necessary.

I was too proud too and I nearly died - I'm not suggesting you're going to nearly die as well, but sometimes our pride can work against our well being, you know?

D
Old 01-06-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Jesslou,

I made an appointment with my doctor when I first stopped. I was having a hard time with anxiety as well. Walking and yoga helped some, and so did the doctor.

It does get easier as each day passes. Hang in there, keep posting, and call and make an appointment. However, if you're feeling really bad go to the ER.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your replies! I found out it was alcohol gastritis! So I've been looking up any and all info about making sure I eat accordingly. I am trying to do this cold turkey and on my own and it got a little harder just now. I guess once I found out it wasn't my liver or pancreas I thought wow I guess I can eventually have a drink again. Isn't that horrible? By chance do any of you keep alcohol around just to test yourself? I know that sounds stupid but just wondering. I have been able to keep one beer in the fridge but I haven't thought of opening it up at all. BUT once I got into my office upstairs I went to unplug my mini fridge and opened it up to find three bottles of my favorite drinks!! I think I'm going to have my husband take them out, I'm afraid of what I might end up doing So now needless to say my temptation and thirst is growing. I think its time for bed.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

By chance do any of you keep alcohol around just to test yourself? I know that sounds stupid but just wondering.
I never saw the sense in that. If you're like me you already know what your relationship with alcohol is like.

You'll find plenty of challenging situations without setting any up, y'know?

It'll take a lot to tip those 3 bottles down the drain where they belong - that's what I call a real test of strength

D
Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I assume your doctor diagnosed your condition, so that means you have medical help, right?