Notices

Norwegian alcoholic wanting to stop drinking beer

Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Norwegian alcoholic wanting to stop drinking beer

Hi all. I'm 27 years old and I've been drinking 6-7 beers per day the last 4 years.

I'm norwegian but have lived in Germany the last 6 years as I moved here because of work.

My drinking started when I moved to Germany. I guess it started with a mix of heavy partying and cheap beer prices. But also in Norway I was always wasted on the weekends. Didn't drink during the week tho.

I only drink beer. It's mostly German Weizenbier at around 5% alcohol. I drink at least 6-7 of these bottles per day. Sometimes even more (around 10 beers maximum maybe). Like now, I am just pooring my 8th beer today into my glass.

I never have big hangovers. Of course I feel terrible the following day. But I never puke or anything like that. However, I was very physically fit before I started drinking on a daily basis. And I am now really starting to see how much my alcoholism is affecting my life. In terms of missed successes in my job, phsyical health, relationships. Long story short: I really need to quit.

I switched to non alcohol beer in December. That kept me sober for like 2 days. Then it was back to the same game again.

Really don't know how to start. Maybe you have some tips? Should I tell my doctor about my problems? I really don't want to, as I own weapons and will loose them if I am a documented alcoholic...

Sorry for beeing random in my writing. Just wanted to tell you my story.

Thanks for this great forum.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome traindrinker! I'm so glad you found us. This is a great place to be.

It's good that you're realizing (at a young age) what drinking is doing to your life. Some never do, and continue on until their lives are devastated. I drank 30 yrs. & had to be brought to my knees to finally understand - I can't touch it!

We usually suggest you see your doctor because withdrawal can be dangerous. If your body is used to it's daily dose of alcohol, stopping abruptly may cause problems.

Things are a bit slow here on the weekends, but I'm sure others will be along to welcome you. We're glad you are here.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hevyn, thanks for replying to my post.

Do you think 6-7 beer per day can be defined as alcoholism? I read about people drinking more. But it still gets you pretty wasted. And sure as hell isn't normal.

I am wondering if I should try to cut back first. Like only drink on weekends. As paradox as it may sound, I would be happy about just drinking every now and then, like normal people. But I guess since I ****** it up with drinking daily I have missed beeing normal.

But I see that my story is similar to many other's here in the forum. It started with 1 beer ... then 2 daily. Then 3. Then atleast 4. Then 4-5. Then 6. Now 7. Would be logical that this would increase over the years. Kind of need more and more to feel the same buzz.

What do you think the doctor will say if I tell him about my alcohol addiction? And what will the treatment be like? Pills?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
LDT

Hi traindrinker! I am always so impressed when young people, like you, seek sobriety. How wise you are. (It took me a LOT longer. )
I agree you should talk to your doctor. You said you are worried about being a documented alcoholic, but aren't you protected under doctor/patient confidentiality rules?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
LDT

p.s.... When Itold my doctor of my problem and how embarrassed I was to tell him, he said " We all have problems..... and I don't judge." What a relief that was to hear.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for you reply.

What you write here makes sense. It should be confidential. Just know that if a sports shooter is known to have alcohol or drug problems, he's not supposed to own a gun. I am in no way aggressive when drinking. Anyway I think it's confidential as you're writing.

Maybe I should go to my doctor then.

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Hi traindrinker! I am always so impressed when young people, like you, seek sobriety. How wise you are. (It took me a LOT longer. )
I agree you should talk to your doctor. You said you are worried about being a documented alcoholic, but aren't you protected under doctor/patient confidentiality rules?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Traindrinker - You are exactly right. We start out slowly, but over time it takes more alcohol to give us the same result. Wish I'd figured that out long ago. I'm sure you've heard the expression, "alcoholism is a progressive disease". When I first started, one beer made me dizzy. I know it sounds impossible, but when I quit I could drink a 30-pack of beer by myself in a day (and I'm just a small woman).

I was like you - I wanted to be able to have a few now and then. I did try that, but was never able to control the amounts once I had that first drink. I didn't want to let go of it, but in the end I was completely dependent on it. I couldn't trust what would happen once it was in my system. It's where your drinking pattern may be leading you that is cause for concern. I'm glad you're taking a hard look at it now.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

In a word YES

You are not having hangovers because your body has alcohol in it 100% of the time. Drinking 5 or more drinks is considered Binge Drinking and is a sign of Alcoholism.

You have probably heard this before but it bears hearing again......
you are a young man and have 90% of your life ahead of you. A life w/o alcohol will be INFINITELY better than the life of a lifelong drinker.

I know, I have been drinking since I was 16 and I am 54. All those years controlled by the beast were a waste of my youth, young adulthood and into (dare I say it.....) Middle age.

Do yourself a BIG favor and do your best to get sober. It wont be easy but it is the most IMPORTANT battle you will ever fight.

Now is the time that you can eliminate the cycle of pain caused by alcoholism. Now you can stop hurting yourself and others around you. Now is the time to eliminate future regret and remorse.

Wish I could to travel back in time to my 20s with the knowledge I have now.... I'm glad that you have the opportunity right in front of you.

Read the accounts of some of us and keep posting. We are here to help and many of us have lifetimes of experience with alcohol to share.

Best Wishes
Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hope4Life. Thanks for your post.

Long story short, your story gave me goosebumps.

Thank you very much. I believe you.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I fully aggree with seeing a doc. Better safe than sorry. detoxing can be dangerous w/o medical supervision. You can have a seizure and die or do serious damage to body... It happened to me and all I drank was light beer. While I drank more than you, there was a time where it was one or two on a friday night. Quit now, but please, there is no need to do it alone.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Traindrinker. Welcome to SR!

Great decision to quit drinking. I think to see a doctor is definitely a good idea, primarily to check your health and get medical advice.

And don't wait to "drink more" just to be sure that you have a problem. Alcohol addiction hides under many masks and it's like keeping a dangerous snake in your pocket that can bite your any time. If you need beer every day, it's a kind of red flag.

Life free of booze is worth giving it a try, take my word)

Good luck to you and keep posting!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome from a fellow Norwegian. (my family is from there)

I agree that stopping now is a great idea before it progresses to a worse point.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If you're worry about losing you're firearms then just tell your doctor that your drinking has become a problem because of the daily intake and want to know what to do about it. You won't lose you're firearms over that or be label an alcoholic but you need to do something about this problem before it goes out of control. That nightly drinking of 6 to 7 beers will go into the morning to help the hangover and you don't want be that.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks all for posting. Day 1 Monday today (07.01.2012). Going strong. Hehe. I will try alone before talking to doc ...
Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by traindrinker View Post
Do you think 6-7 beer per day can be defined as alcoholism? I read about people drinking more. But it still gets you pretty wasted. And sure as hell isn't normal.

What do you think the doctor will say if I tell him about my alcohol addiction? And what will the treatment be like? Pills?
a) Tolerance increases. Plenty of folks get to a gallon of hard liquor per day.

b) Doctors have heard it all many times, so there is nothing you can say that will astound them. It's important to find a good one.

6-7 beers of the sort you drink wouldn't get me wasted by a long shot.

I had the good fortune to hitchhike around northern Norway. Loved it! Beautiful country and wonderful people. I didn't go to bars or drink, so I have no idea what the rate of alcoholism is.

When I was in Germany in the 70's, you could get beer just like soda from a dispensing machine at McDonald's restaurants. Probably not so anymore.

Heck, you used to be able to get cigarettes from dispensing machines for a pittance. If you drove drunk, it was not uncommon for the cop to just take you home and tell you to sleep it off. I think as time progresses we're starting to get smarter about such things.

For some of us it takes a long time to learn our lesson. That's awesome that you're addressing your situation before it gets worse. Best of luck to you.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's possible the doctor you might see would discount this problem for many reasons. About the only time you see Germans smile is when they're drinking and it's deeply embedded in the culture as you probably know.

They have a different perception of alcoholism than is found in other countries, with radically different perceptions and standards. A person who is alcoholic is often cared for in government hospitals for life. Considering alcoholism to be anything short of that goes against how they prefer to see things.

Sounds nuts I know, but "You are not in Norway, you are in Germany and here we do things the German way!"

Sound familiar?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey what a fantastic opportunity so early on in the year.
Your beginning to focus , you already see the things that can get better ,health, work personal relationships and see how much better life is for so many of us sober people.
My relationship was always good but now it's fantastic and no stupid rows .
Gain your life don't be controlled by the bottle.
Earlier rather than later.
Talking on here helps.
Do you shoot ? Just think of all the money you can save ,things to buy and time to go shooting.
Going to your Dr saying you would prefer to live sober as you have concerns over alcohol isn't the same as saying your an alcoholic take my gun away it says I don't want to be dependent on alcohol and have an adult responsibility for your own life.
Go on ditch the beers and count your money and plan new adventures.
John.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Traindrinker, the slide into alcoholism can be quite slow and deceptive, because for a lot of the process your drinking doesn't cause any real problems. Stage 1 alcoholism is often the same as heavy drinking, but the difference is that you can't cut down or quit for any length of time. The onset of strong cravings if you stop drinking is also a danger sign. My slide into alcoholism was slow and innocuous, but I knew I was in trouble when I was drinking a bottle of wine a night and I chose to give up before I did permanent harm to my body. Things that have helped me are:
Sober Recovery!
Educating myself about Alcoholism - I've learned heaps on the internet, and have bought books for my Kindle.
Talking to my doctor and checking in with him on a regular basis. I found it so hard to tell him how much I was drinking I had to write it down. I don't let him do all the talking, in fact I am educating him on some resources I've been able to use.
Setting up some strategies to cope with the cravings.

I honestly think I've stopped before doing permanent damage to myself, and I hope you do as well. If you want some recommendations for reading, feel free to send me a PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

My alcoholism isn't about how much or how often I drank; it's about not being able to live in my own skin without drinking. Not being able to deal with life's stress without picking up a drink each night. Alcohol was my solution to my alcoholism.

I didn't know how to stay stopped. Life was horrible NOT drinking and definitely not pleasant WITH drinking.

If a person stops drinking and life is much better, then alcohol was the problem and the solution is to not drink.

If a person stops drinking and life is intolerably unpleasant, then alcoholism was the problem and there is a new solution to living a happier life. I found it in the steps of AA, which I had "fought" for 25 years.

I wish you the best on your sober journey!

With love & hugs,
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great job noticing early on that your drinking isn't normal. I am 22, so I know how easy it is to dismiss that there might be a problem because we are young and we deserve to have "fun".

It is also easy to look at the amount you drink and compare it to others and think that it "isn't that bad". When it comes down to it, it isn't how much you drink, it is the fact that you drink everyday, can't stop once you start, and that alcohol overtakes our thought process. As someone once said to me, people that don't have a problem, don't wonder if they have a problem and they def. don't have an internal battle whether they should stop or not. I have used that saying when I am in times of doubt, and it reminds me, if I ever picked up again, I would be right back to where I started.

My DOC is heroin, so I can't tell you from experience about what your personal detox will be like, but I always think it is a good idea to consult a doctor or at least have someone that can be around while you are detoxing just in case. If something were to go wrong, you won't be able to call for help.

Keep reading and posting, it is alot of work, but it is def. worth it!