Notices

feels like a stupid question

Old 01-06-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feels like a stupid question

Hello, I've finally decided that enough is enough with my consumption amount and frequency of. I've spent a lot of time researching and decided this site is where I would like to ask a question about my alcoholism. I thank you for that opportunity.
I've been drinking pretty heavy for about three years (before that I would take a cpl days off thru the week). I always drink beer with an occasional shot or three a cpl times a month at most. I am an every day drinker. For the past few months it's been from 4 to 8 beers a night during the week (mostly in the 7 or 8 range) and at least double that on the weekends. I work during the week. Most weekends I start around an hour after a wake up. My biggest concern is withdrawals. As I said I've decided it's enough but today I had 2 beers simply out of fear. My withdrawal symptoms vary, some days I have pretty bed shakes for the first part of the day and it usually calms down about the time I get home from work and start drinking again. Today the shakes are slight and I am "jumpy" and cloudy and such. I've had anxiety problems ever since I can remember and hangovers make them ten fold. I am also on blood pressure meds for hypertension (smallest dose). I've heard and seen horror stories with heavy liquor drinkers but haven't found a lot on just beer drinkers in the amount that I drink. Do I have the same worries as a heavy liquor drinker. Seizures and such?
Sorry this turned out so long but it felt good to type, and believe me I could prob. go on all night with the diferent problems I've had from over consumption.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Only a Dr could evaluate you physically to know how you could safely detox. What I did learn in rehab though was that alcohol and benzos are the 2 drugs that can cause severe symptoms.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just wanted to welcome you to our family.
Nice to have you here.

Although others will be able to give you better advice, as far as I know, alcohol is alcohol. So there is no difference between beer or wine or spirits.

Don't take any chances.
Any scary medical symptoms and just go get help.
Have you got anyone who can stay with you in the early days just to be safe?

The early days don't last for long.
Everyday you should start to feel better.
Look after yourself at this time - lots of water and fluids, lots of rest, good food, warm baths.

SR has helped me immensely and I think it will help you too.
Come here and post and read, there is a wealth of experience and wisdom from all over the planet.

Being sober takes hard work but it truly is worthwhile!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Seeing a doctor would be the best. I had seizures from wine+beer the morning after (a lot of wine and beer), had to call the ambulance, so it is possible.

Stay safe and welcome to SR!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome sailing. you've come to the right palce. i'm sure i won't be the only one to suggest you talk with your doctor as withdrawl from alcohol can be life threatening. beer vs other doesn't really matter. it depends on how much, how long and your own body's individual reaction to quitting. we can't give medical advice, but i'd encourage you to stay well hydrated and try to eat well and rest. from a personal standpoint, it took me about a week before i started to feel better. i was tired for several weeks although i continued to work my regular schedule. i added exercise to the mix and that has seemed to help as well. you've made the right choice and there are many of us here rooting you on. good luck and continue posting.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome sailing! We can't give medical advice, but we're very glad you are here. It's a good feeling to know you're not alone. This is a great place, filled with hope and encouragement.

I drank mostly beer in the last days of my drinking career. I did have a difficult time when I stopped - but I was drinking way more than you. As the others said, only a doctor can evaluate your situation and tell you what's best - we're all very different. I had scary blood pressure spikes and heart palpitations. I didn't have any way of going to rehab - so I just did it on my own. I didn't realize how dangerous it was. Please be careful.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sailing - welcome

Like others have siuggested, it's a common misconception that beer is somehow better or not as dangerous, cos it's 'not as strong'....alcohol is alcohol I'm afraid.

Everything you read about hard liquor can apply to beer as well.

I recommend everyone see a Dr.

I was a beer and cheap wine drinker and had a very bad last detox...not saying you will too - but it is possible, sailing.

Be safe
D
Old 01-06-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome sailing!

Glad you've joined us!

Like quitforme said, it's best to get medical help for detox because withdrawal is different for everyone (and even unpredictable for the same person from one detox to another). Multiple withdrawals apparently put us more at risk. You might want to see if any docs in your area specialize in addiction.

I had mild/moderate withdrawal symptoms and didn't see a doctor, but I didn't know then what I know now..... I'm glad you're asking these questions and I hope we can be of support to you.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site. Best to see a doctor to be safe. Withdrawal can be dangerous.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Some people taper down their intake before stopping all together and some folks can just stop. I was drinking about 10 beers a day and having a massive gout attack when I decided to stop abruptly.

I had a lot of emotional swings, heart palpitations and anxiety at first and then was very sleepy for a couple weeks. I didnt know the dangers I faced and luckily didnt have any other problems.

Seeing your Dr. couldn't hurt and may help you slay the beast.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow thank you all for the responses and help! I guess I worded things wrong. I was just hoping to hear from someone that was closer to my experience as far as how much they consumed and such but I understand that everyone is different. I do understand about the medical advice, guess I wasn't thinking too clearly yesterday..It's day 2 and work today went pretty good. Everything is still mild, a touch of the shakes but barely noticable. A little confusion and "air-headedness" and a lot of eating! I barely ever ate if I was drinking. But when stick to 1 or 2 beers a day (which has been a long time til yesterday) I eat like crazy. Anyway thanks for the awesome welcome! and I will keep posting!