Notices

Day 1 of hopefully a sober future

Old 01-06-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 of hopefully a sober future

Hi my names Ayden and from today I'm attempting to seriously abstain from alcohol for good. This isn't the first time I've tried, however is the first time I've seeked help and joined forums to have a serious attempt. I have cut my intake down from every day drinking 8 cans of lager to only drinking at weekends. I was supposed to only drink on a Saturday however most weekends it carried over to a few beers on a Sunday. I have no control over my weekend habits it's almost like a must do in my mind, I convince myself that I have cut it out in the week so I'm entitled to drink on weekends. Now this has recently caused problems like last night for instance, I drank 8 pint cans of lager started to get arrogant and obnoxious and aggressive had a row with my wife which resulted in me leaving home in the middle of the night and stopping at a friends, I stopped at a 24hr garage and bought 8 more cans and polished them off at my mates house. I feel dreadful today and have had to apologise to all I have offended the night before. These blow outs are ruining my life and family so it has got to stop but I'm scared at the effort and willpower that stopping for good needs. Clearly stopping the beer in the week has not helped me at all if all I do is binge and make myself ill ruining my poor family in the meantime, so that's it all off my chest and now time to start doing instead of thinking, I know what I'm up against and this time I will beat it with your help and advice
Old 01-06-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello My Friend and Welcome to SR

You have taken some steps but need to committ to sobriety 100% if you believe you are powerless. Lots of good people here to offer advice.

Develop a plan and take it one day at a time. Consider additional support such as AA.

GoodLuck
Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4WWWW View Post
Hello My Friend and Welcome to SR

You have taken some steps but need to committ to sobriety 100% if you believe you are powerless. Lots of good people here to offer advice.

Develop a plan and take it one day at a time. Consider additional support such as AA.

GoodLuck
Thank you for your time to read my post. I have started to draw up a plan mainly for weekends because these are the days where I know I will struggle. Once I got 7 days under my belt I'm hoping that the withdrawals will subside and that alone will kick start weeks 2 and three. I'm 100% committed to achieving sobriety and I will take it one day at a time. I'm sorting out an AA group which is in my area and will attend meetings so fingers crossed!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome fessey, good luck with your sobriety,,, i did it,, so can you,,i was drinking heavy for 10 yrs,,, just one friday morn,, over 2 months ago,,, woke up and said,,"thats it",,,, havent looked back.
keep reading here and we are all here to help you,,, we all been thru it hunny,,, well done and good luck,,
lv cleo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

I used to do very similar then you. Go easy on week days then catch up and get hammered on weekends. The I realized that I have no break pedal with Alcohol. Jusy having a few was an insult to my Alcoholic intelligence. LOL !

Glad you are taking steps in the right direction
Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to our family.
I'm in the UK too.

Its nice to have you here.
I know that awful feeling of having to apologise to everyone after drinking.
I've engineered rows so that I can justify my drinking or drink more.

I used to cobble together one or two days then go back.
I think it finally hit me last Christmas when I realised that if I did not want to I never had to feel like that again.
All I had to do was not drink that first drink.
If I did not have that first drink, I could not get drunk.

At first it was strange not to drink, but as the days stacked up, I can honestly say it would seem strange to sit and drink all night.
I now have 329 days and no-one is going to get in the way of me getting to a year.
I did it by getting busy, getting off the sofa and smashing my favourite glass. I did exercise, cleaning, sorting junk out for car boot sales, drank a lot of hot chocolate, organised a lot of rooms, sorted the office, caught up with friends, went for long drives with loud music.

It seems like drink is starting to impact on your life and your loved ones lives.
Don't let it go any further.
Come here and post and vent your problems and celebrate your success. I learnt a lot about alcohol from sober recovery that I never ever knew.

Good luck with what you want to achieve and however you go about achieving it.

xx
Old 01-06-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Fessey. I'm so glad you reached out for help.

I once drank the way you describe. Over time, I couldn't hold it down to just weekends. I was drinking all week. In the end I was totally dependent on it & drank every day. It all started out so innocently. I just wanted to relax & forget my troubles, not get blind drunk. I hated to admit I had no control when I took that first drink, but I had to. It was running my life and I was turning into a person I didn't even recognize.

You'll find many suggestions here, and a lot of support. Congratulations for wanting to make this big change in your life.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Fessey.Good news that you want sobriety and are checking out AA meetings in your area.

Wishing you well.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Fessey my relationship with alcohol was much like yours (subsitute "wine" for "lager"). I haven't had a wine in 37 days now thanks in great part to this forum - welcome glad you joined.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Fessy to SR,
It sounds like you are very serious about giving up completelyand have realized moderation is not going to work. These are important steps to recovery and glad to hear you are going to an AA meeting. Now when you are feeling like shite is the time to get the ball rolling. AA and SR are keeping me sober.

All the best
CaiHong
Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Fessey.

I hear you all to clearly. I joined SR yesterday - it had to be done.
I knew I had a drinking problem and was an alcoholic for along time! I always wanted to quit but always found an excuse why it wasn't the right time. Meanwhile, I'd smash minimum a half bottle of vodka a night - every night. I couldn't wait till just the weekends to drink - I needed my fix. Meanwhile, my marriage was in trouble - my wife was sick of my drinking and talking about leaving me - and taking my 11 month old little girl. Vodka was not worth losing my family. I needed to take control of this.
I found this website and followed it for a few months until I made my comittment and stopped!
I'm only 2 days sober - but you gotta start somewhere!
Congratulations on your decision.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck with it Ayden
Old 01-07-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For the first time in my life I don't feel alone with this burden of alcoholism, you are all very kind an I appreciate all your time to read my posts and help me in the ways of good solid advice and life stories of your worst times, makes you feel like your not just one in ten anymore. Tomorrow will be day three and the sickness has gone, I still have tender parts in my stomach from all the heaving but at least that vile sickness has subsided, I started a kickboxing class tonight (very steady one tonight I might add!) and I loved it so I'm gonna train again Friday night when hopefully my stomach will be better and I can sweat more of the poison out of me! I already feel like a different person because three weeks ago I couldn't ever imagine leaving the house sober let alone start kickboxing!. Much love to you all
Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Fessey and congratulations on day 3!