Notices

Six days sober; no cravings - but......

Old 01-06-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Six days sober; no cravings - but......

Sometimes in the past, when I've tried to quit, I'll go months without drinking but then suddenly have an irresistible urge. The decision to have 'just one drink' (!) becomes almost automatic... as if the decision is final.

How does one handle these "automatic" thoughts that one drink won't start the cycle over again. (Needless to say that one drink is never enough.)

Many thanks,

Scotty
Old 01-06-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think just knowing that those times will come can help you prepare for them. I found that mindfulness and AVRT really helped me deal with my thinking in a new way, so that I felt more in charge rather than feeling like my thoughts were running me.

Just know that you're stronger than your thoughts and feelings - they come and go,and you don't have to act on them. Congrats on your 3 days!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had what felt like an attack a few days ago. First, I just played the "my life as a drunk movie" over in my mind. The movie was performed, written ,directed and produced by me. It ends with me stumbling around drunk. It has a very sad ending.
Second, I accept that the movie always ends the same. I dwell on that fact and remind myself I am wonderfully not the star of that movie anymore. By the time I have gone through the aforementioned process I notice that my attack is now just an annoyance.
I come here a lot and I swear it helps me magnificently.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AVRT is a great tool for this. The times I have contemplated a glass of wine (which I knew would not be one) I did what Escapist said and thought things though to the next day. I have worked hard to be sober for just about three months, and I would be upset with myself if I woke up hungover and had to start at day one again.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Seems like a lot of people have this lying voice that sells "just one drink" when every single one of us knows that there is no way that one could ever suffice. I think I'm ok refuting the "just one drink" sales pitch.

Wish that was the only lie my addiction tried to pull out on me; there are certain to be many more.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't want one drink and I haven't wanted one drink in decades. One drink isn't enough, I'll always want another.

One drink is a waste of time.

That voice you're talking about...it's lying.

How do I avoid falling prey to temptation?

I don't drink alcohol, so it would be beyond the pale of the absurd if I were to give in and have a drink.

I don't drink alcohol, so why would I drink alcohol?

Works for me.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Avrt??
Old 01-06-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Huh?

Addictive Voice Rational Therapy
Old 01-06-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique, or Rational Recovery. That helped me too. But also, and I almost hate to say this, but the number of posts on here from people saying 'I thought I could have just one', or 'I thought I could control it now'. Keeping in regular contact with my 'recovery' or SR as it's more commonly known, keeps me realistic about my chances of drinking again x