Notices

Just not drink today... That's all I have to do

Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Just not drink today... That's all I have to do

Ready to face today. Make the little things matter. Like going to get a house plant for my new neighbor to welcome them. Also got dog toys for each of their pups. They make loud squeaking noises. Will probably drive them crazy but then again that was the point. So much for being mr nice guy here.

Swiss steak is on the menu. Slow braise of seasoned beef strips in a tomato based broth.

Saw some friends this past few days. Nothing is any clearer about anything going on in my life.... So I will put it aside until something makes sense to take action on.

Just not drink today. Sundays used to be the day of trickery and Tom foolery. Those painful and powerful draws have abated. Clear Mondays has taken their place.

How is everyone today?
Old 01-06-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jules

I think the devil is on my shoulder today & that sucks!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The devil on your shoulder does suck. But look at it this way. Since my devil is always there I can ignore him. He will be there today ... Tomorrow ... The next day. I have to do other things and let him just be. He gets bored after a while.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by drunkyjules View Post
I think the devil is on my shoulder today & that sucks!
I believe its on all of our shoulders....one day at a time....dont take that first drink....have a great day!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Good morning Weasel,

Sounds like a nice low-key day in the works for you. Just not drink indeed.

Elbows are giving me some trouble from too much typing these last days, what with extra work to be done to meet a deadline and posting like it's going to save my soul (which it may). Other than that, doing good. Well, aside from the fact that the tree needs to come down, the laundry needs to be done, a shower is in order, and I have bills to pay.

I'll be over later for swiss steak. Any chance we could make that tomato sauce creamy?

drunkyjules, that does suck. Hit the "ignore" button to that guy on your shoulder; he's just a jerk anyhow.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I've got a cold .
have made chicken soup .
The old AV piped up and said well if you're sick anyhoo you may as well have a hangover as well . i just rememberd "i'm an alcoholic , as every child knows alcoholics should not drink , so i decided not to drink as drinking is a daft idea for me".

Bestwishes, M
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jules

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
I've got a cold .
have made chicken soup .
The old AV piped up and said well if you're sick anyhoo you may as well have a hangover as well . i just rememberd "i'm an alcoholic , as every child knows alcoholics should not drink , so i decided not to drink as drinking is a daft idea for me".
Bestwishes, M
I need to remember this!!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good morning! It sounds like you are doing well.

I am going to church this morning. I have split pea soup in the crockpot that will be ready tonight. I work my part time job from 1-6.

I feel pretty good today.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Ken.

You know, after I found that "one day at a time" works for me in terms of sobriety, I started to apply it for other things also. It frees me from worries about tomorrow, worries a lot of which I creat myself in my head.

You steak sounds just delicious)

Drunkyjules - yeah, this is devil so annoying. But it feeds on your fears and anxiety, cut it off the food.

It's Christmas Eve for me today. Yes, don't be surprised. Where I live the Church uses the different calendar, the old Julian Calendar, which is 13 days behind the Gregorian calendar. So, be my guest is you need a time-machine). I am not planning nothing great, just pamper myselft a little bit.

Best wishes to all)
Old 01-06-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ken, i think you are doing good, you don't have to figure everything out all at once.

If you push it, it's not as clear as it might be if you relax and explore different options.

swiss steak sounds VERY good! I'm either in a chicken parm mood or a red lasagna.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Weasel, congrats on getting sober! November 17, 2012, I was in the same place you are. I sometimes said to myself "Just don't drink for the next ten minutes, if you want a drink after that, you can have one." Or "Just don't drink for an hour, if you still want a drink after that, go for it." It worked for me, and now I rarely have any cravings at all after six weeks sober. Being the rebel I am (nobody tells ME I can't drink), I kept and still keep one bottle of wine in the closet. Somehow knowing that I can have a drink if I really want one keeps me from being rebellious and wanting to drink.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

One thing that dramatically changes when you are sober is your hair. It doesn't fall out and it is shiny. At least I have noticed that in myself.

Skin is better too.

Sometimes noticing the exterior benefits as well as the internal ones helps me.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Ken, that's a great post for a Sunday. Seems you've jumped that hurdle. lol on the squeaky toys. You probably gave your nephew a drum set too

That devil on the shoulder is an ever present pain in the ass. Ignoring works wonders. So does reasoning with him "but I don't want a dui...I don't want to be smelling like booze...I don't want to be an ass like you are"

I agree, sometimes the external things show progress and motivate you. Huge difference in my hair and skin.

Mellow day here, maybe some cooking. Trying to organize Christmas stuff. Hopefully a nap.

JB we sound a lot alike, I can relate to the rebel statement.

Ken, sometimes that's the only thing on the To do list. Just don't drink. The rest can wait. Of course if you don't drink, so much more of your to do list gets done.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Will check in during the day with you all! Back from the butcher with fresh cut beef for later.

Yes FF this is different than it used to be. And sooooo much nicer.

No fear for work tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
So it goes

All
It may seem hard now to struggle with that one day at a time. But it will become something second nature not to drink if you stick at it.

I can now look at the fact it is a Friday and not think, hey its wine o clock
(or Thursday, Wednesday Tuesday, Monday Sunday or Saturday for that )
Old 01-06-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ken so glad to read your post. You sound a little more content. I , too, am playing with tomato sauce today. I am going to build a lasagna. Made my swiss steak on Friday. Added some of the most sensuous mushrooms to it. Served it with buttery brown rice. It was delicious. Cooking is so therapeutic. I swear it is an act of loving yourself.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for this grounding post.

Today is my first attempt at sobriety, ever. I plan to spend it just doing the next right thing. Lay low. Yoga. Stay in touch with friends. Surf this board. Eat healthy food. Maybe walk on my treadmill. Take a shower. Prep food for the upcoming week. That's enough.

There really IS no other way to do things than one day at at time, is there? Heh.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Ken.
Just home from lunch out (a Chinese buffet-eat as much as you like, which sounded like a challenge to me?). Then we saw a film.

I'm with Billy-I could never imagine a time when I didn't associate Fridays with getting wasted. Then it gradually moved from Friday to any day ending in a 'y'.
It really does get easier.
You're doing great xxx
Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My cousin just stopped by for a short quick visit. We're having porter house steaks for dinner tonight, YUM!!!! And DEFINITELY, no drinking.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you Ken. Quiet Sunday here. donated a set of champagne and wine glasses to the Goodwill, along with some other stuff. Feels good to reorganize and declutter.

Your swiss steak sounds comforting. We had vegetarian chili and french bread. A hot bath , and Downton Abby for me tonight