Notices

Giving SR a shot

Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Giving SR a shot

Hi all,
A friend of mine recently told me how much SR helped her achieve sobriety so I figured I would give it a shot. Like me, this acquaintance didn't find AA ultimately helpful. Here's a little about me- I'm 31 and haven't been able to put together more than 40 days sober in as far back as I can remember. I've been in a couple programs recently, but always seem to turn back to the bottle. I'm now beginning to teach and really need to stay sober or else I know my job will be in jeopardy. I struggle with depression and the question of whether I'm powerless or if I simply don't care enough to stop. Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.
-LV
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR LV

good to have you join us - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, I recently started on this board and it is extremely helpful. Any assistance is always helpful in recovery whether it's AA, Sober Recovery, Women for Sobriety, reading recovery books, attending meetings--don't necessarily have to be AA, therapy, IOP and a sponsor.

Great you are starting teaching. I recently lost a teaching job due to my drinking.

gigi
Old 01-05-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey there. Just started posting recently and you sound similar to me. 30 and can't remember even a few weeks sober in years... Man that's rough when I type it. I can tell you.. you WILL ruin your job if your drinking is that bad. I did. I have "tried" to quit many times before, but have never been serious about it until now. I have found the posts here pretty useful so far. An alternative to AA Rational Recovery. I am STOKED about it! It makes a lot of sense. Some folks here have been successful with it. Good luck to ya!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DAB

Welcome to SR, LV!
We are here to help each other by listening, sharing, motivating, and moving our lives forward.
Today, your post has helped me.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I fought AA for 25 years....

Those steps saved my life 19+ months ago!

I've been reading SR for about 8 years, yet only started to post about a month after getting sober, but it's awesome to come here while I'm online--on my laptop or my phone!

8000+ posts later and I'm still consistently sober.

Sober Recovery rocks!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm graduating with a teaching degree in a few months. And alcohol is certainly not compatible with a successful teaching career. You really don't want to wait until the negative consequences of addiction will start rolling in, and then the depression will just get worse.
Nice meeting you and hope you find these forums helpful.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by LV426
I struggle with depression
Alcohol will exacerbate depression and for some of us, it caused it. Glad you're here.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to our recovery community! :ghug3 Giving up drinking was the best thing I've ever done for myself. Stop drinking and see for yourself.