Notices

Just stopped drinking, withdrawl questions

Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just stopped drinking, withdrawl questions

Hello I would like to explain my situation before I ask some of my questions to give you all a better perspective of my current status. So I turned 21 about a year ago. I was drinking maybe a few drinks a week pretty much only on weekends. When I turned 21 I surprisingly didn't drink too much, maybe 9 or 10 drinks a week tops and that lasted for about half a year. The last 6-7 months I have been literally drinking from the time i got up to the time before I went to sleep and more and more as the days went on. I never drank enough to black out or even get many hangovers but I just drank a lot all day every day; anywhere from 3-15 drinks a day and about 7-10 on average and this was from the last half of a year.

So I have not had a single ounce of alcohol for the last 26 hours and have yet to feel any withdrawl symptoms besides some bloating and I'm not even sure if that is from withdrawl but it does seem pretty coincidental. I've been smoking only a little bit of marijuana since too which isnt uncommon for me but I don't know how much that is helping either if at all. So my question is with me being basically fine for a little over a day now how much worse do you think the symptoms will get at this point? I'd like to still be able to have a drink here and there but I need to just stop all of this for now.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It seems you have been drinking pretty heavily for six months.
As you have had no serious withdrawal over 26 hours any worse stuff seems unlikely.
The real problem now seems to lie in your wish to moderate, which seems highly unlikely given your recent history.
The fact that you have avoided hangovers and black outs does not alter the fact that you have not treated your body well.
Moderate drinking is a bit of a silly wish IMO, often dramatically changed by a bad event.
Why set up a really risky future for yourself?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick reply. What you said its most definitely has some merit, my wish to be able to drink moderately is just a wish and most likely wont be happening any time if at all to be safe. I am glad you think that the withdrawl symptoms won't get any worse that puts me a bit more at ease. I was feeling a bit feverish but I took a Tylenol and I feel much better now too.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its best to be honest with a physician and seek their help if you have been using alcohol for
extended periods. They can help.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Fira,
It's great that you are 26 hours sober. Get a lot of sleep, drink lots of water, tea, or your n/a drink of choice. I had night sweats which were more of a hassle than uncomfortable. I never had shakes while drinking but I had them and if I drank some o.j. or had a piece of fruit, it stopped the shaking. I was a wine drinker so I was used to sugar.

Hope that helps.

gigi
Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I didn't have withdrawal symptoms at 22 either. By 42 I had terrible withdrawal symptoms. I would suggest quitting and staying quit.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Beside not having withdrawals. Is your life any better drinking alcohol or worst? The longer you wait to stop if you have a real drinking problem the hard it will be to stop.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You're young, and despite a recent history of excessive drinking, you probably aren't really that physiologically 'addicted' to or dependent on alcohol yet, so you probably won't experience major withdrawal. If I were you I'd lay off alcohol for a while and take a long hard look at your life, try to figure out why you were starting to let alcohol take over your entire existence. You're ultimately the only one who will be able to decide if you can ever be a moderate, responsible consumer of alcohol, but right now you at least need to cut it out for a while or you'll experience MAJOR problems as you get older - physical, mental, legal, financial problems.

Consider yourself lucky for having experienced this problem at a young age and learn from your mistakes, is the best advice I could give.