Notices

Hi all, my day 1

Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all, my day 1

Hi everyone! I was looking for some inspiration on my first day while battling my withdrawal, and I'm really glad I found these forums.

I've been drinking quite heavily for about 20 years, tried to quit a few times, tried to moderate (that sure doesn't work), quit hard liquor, still found myself trashed at least twice a week, and often starting my day with a can of cider or beer.
Alcohol destroyed my first marriage, and it started seriously endangering my second one. I had 2 drunk suicide attempts. I feel I just can't afford to fail this time even though sometimes life without the alcohol seems more terrifying than life with it.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome terrazinaa -

That was me, too, on the first day: terrified. I spent the first few days glued to this place in order to cope.

Just try to take it in manageable bites, a minute or hour at a time. Distractions help,too. It really will get better......

Congratulations on your decision!:ghug3
Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sie

Hi terrazinaa

Every day gets better and better... I promise!

Hang in there and take things nice and easy...

Welcome to sobriety!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi terrazinaa. Wonderful to have you here.

I was so afraid to let go of it, too. I don't really know why - it hadn't been anything but a living hell for years. Never fun or relaxing. Always exhausting to try and manage it. Every time I picked up, I put myself in danger. I could never predict what might happen. I had to let it go.

It feels strange in the beginning, but that will all get better. You can get the joy and happiness back in your life for good. Keep talking to us.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Terrazinaa, Hi all, my day 1? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you found us terazinaa - welcome!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome.. I know exactly about that morning cider. I echo the others, just give it a try. It really does get easier.. you dont have to live in misery.. The people on this site are super, and honestly care about helping you.. let them.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Make every days goal to not drink that day.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all to your support!
My husband doesn't believe anymore that I can actually quit, so it's nice to have people around who share similar experiences and who are actually succeeding.
I'll just stay home for the couple of days, but I am really scared of the time when I have to get back to work/university, and have to NOT end up in a liquor store again. That will be the real battle...
Old 01-05-2013, 11:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad you have a couple of days to just hang out and read SR. It is possible to do this. Is your hubby supportive (despite being skeptical)?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My husband does not drink at all himself, so at least I wont have a temptation at home. He absolutely HATES when I'm even slightly intoxicated, so right now he's pretty pissed off (yesterday I had a bottle of wine, a bottle of champagne, and I counted 8 empty bottles of beer around my room this morning). It was HIS birthday.
He did promise to join a gym with me, and just spend more time getting out and being active. I found from my previous attempts to quit that exercise was the most helpful for me. After an hour of heavy workout I usually feel more like having some apple juice and less like having some cider.