Notices

5th day sober

Old 01-05-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5th day sober

Today will make day number 5 with no alcohol. Yesterday evening was a bit difficult...my first Friday night completely sober in years. Some positives I've noticed so far...just getting in the car and driving after dark gives me a sense of freedom. I can go absolutely anywhere I want I don't have to worry "what if I get pulled over".
I'm comfortable for anyone to show up at my house at anytime, whether it be my mother, sister, boss, I don't have that fear of an unexpected visitor while in a drunken stupor.
I have PLENTY of energy to stay up late and watch movies, talk on the phone to friends, & spend time with my husband. On Friday nights we would normally start taking vodka shots right after work & be ready to eat dinner & pass out by 10pm. Yes, it's been very hard to sleep this week but last night I finally got good restful sleep.
I know this is only my 5th day... but each new day gives me more confidence and hope. I have to say...I'm proud of my strength so far.
Any tips & advice are greatly appreciated. My hardest time seems to be the evenings between 5 & 8 pm. I guess because that's when I would usually take my first shot.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi - Welcome to SR

Who was your drinking buddy - Your Husband?

You say we
Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome passion. Congratulations on your 5 days. Those are some rough ones to get through, but you seem very positive and determined.

When I look back, I can't believe all the years I spent thinking alcohol was making me happier, more sociable, more relaxed. It ended up doing the exact opposite. Life was a struggle, no joy left. Never going back there again.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Welcome aboard..

I will just say I couldnt stay sober on my own. And AA plus SR have saved this alcoholic from himself..
Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, mainly my husband. Our fun time was drinking and cooking after work. We've been staying out and about alot this week. Trying to make new habits and a healthy routine but still have fun.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats passion13, this is my first Weekend without drinking. 4 days so far.

I feel great!!!

Good luck to ya
Old 01-05-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Passion. 5 days in a major accomplishment.
I find it helpful to slow things down and take it minute by minute when making a change.
Maybe you could plan different places to go or things to do so that you don't put yourself in a spot where drinking seems like the "best" (a lie really) option between 5-8 pm. I understand it sounds easy.....I know its a huge commitment that it achievable on a daily basis. You don't ever have to drink again if you don't want to....one minute at a time.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great work Passion!!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR passion - keep it going!

D
Old 01-05-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Day 5 here too and first sober weekend. Thank G-D for this board...helps me through the urges. Like the one I am having right this second.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm near the end of my day 5 and it's not been to bad considering it's a saturday.

Lets hope day 6 is kind to us x
Old 01-05-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome passion13!

The first Friday night was the hardest for me, too..... glad you hung in there! It feels good to get through the weekend sober and it gets easier as you go. Sounds like you're already onto the benefits of sobriety - Congratulations on 5 days!
Old 01-05-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Today is my day 5...it feels good to be able to spend time with my grandson sober. Normally on Saturdays, I would work out at the local gym and rush home to pour that first glass of wine and then proceed to the vodka. This poison was my post workout "energy drink". Not today, I make a cup of coffee instead. It feels good being sober!!! Looking foward to a sober day 6.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think all of us had our bewitching hour. There are a ton of suggestions but the key is putting them into action.

Day 5 is an accomplishment in itself.

gigi