Notices

horrible panic attacks

Old 01-05-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

horrible panic attacks

man... i thought i'd never get these horrible feelings ever again. i was really hoping at least.
for the last 10 days every waking moment i've been crippled with non-stop anxiety/panic feeling. i managed to go for a light run and it helped for an hour or two. (unfortunately i cannot keep running all day).

i have an appointment with my doc on monday morning, but i'm afraid his only solution will be some sort of benzo (which i cannot take).

to say that i want a drink right now is an understatement. i want *anything* to make this stop. i pray that i have the strength to get out of this feeling. i can deal with an hour of this... but 10 days? ... it's getting too much.

somhow i'm going drag my butt to a yoga class... i'm scared to step outside right now. but i don't have a choice.

i cannot give into a drink today. that would be the end.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am sorry you are experiencing this!

How long since your last drink? I had it for weeks after I drank. What helped me was meditation and breathing exercises. Google meditations and some videos on youtube will come up.

As for the doctor, tell them you don't want benzos. A lot of antidepressants/mood stabalizers help anxiety. I take abilify and lamactil. I also have hydroxizine which is a non-narcotic anxiety med to take as needed.

Good luck and keep us posted!

PS Drinking will make the anxiety SO MUCH WORSE. It will not help at all.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you for your response, Elizabeth.
if i make it though this episode without a drink it'll be 7 months in 2 weeks.

the worst part for me that i have an extremely healthy lifestyle, which i've been following ever since i tried to fully get clean (when i registered here). so where is this coming from now and in such heavy magnitude is beyond me. maybe the holidays? but i went to see my family, things were ok. maybe the travel. either way its' been quite "hellish".

i take a number of supplements for sleep and mood (like melatonin and valerian root). in the last half a year i had maybe two days where i had bad anxiety for about 15 min to an hour. this has been going non-stop for 10 days. i'm really at a loss here.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

alright...
i'm going to get dressed and drive to gym. (not the liquor store )
let's see what happens.

i'm honestly concerned about driving, but this is just my stupid anxiety trying to get the best of me.

i'm going to keep posting as it is helping... don't mean to make this into a personal blog, but i hope that's ok.

it also gives me strength not to give in to drink. whewww.... wish me luck. i'll report back.
i feel like crap, but my spirit is strong (or at least i'm saying this to myself... good).
Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you at trying to stay active, but don't force yourself to stick to a tough routine if it is adding to your stress. If you can only take over the counter stuff, there is a magnesium drink at whole foods called Calm that helps me with my GAD.
Just try and stay in the present and keep posting here. Knowing you are not alone help a lot.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by serious View Post
i take a number of supplements for sleep and mood (like melatonin and valerian root).
Valerian has the opposite effect on me that it's supposed to. It makes me anxious. And I've experimented enough times with it to know now to keep away. If you google "valerian opposite effect" you can get some info. You might want to look into it.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello My Firend,

I think I know what you are going through, although my anziety is not as often. I also have panic attacks and am going on 4 months sober. My Family thinks Im suffering from Depression and I have an appointment with a Psych Dr in a few days.

I hate myself for what I have done over the years - my drinking, wasting money, stupid decisions becasue of drinking, etc.

Im working on accepting the past, living day to day, and changing the things I can. SERENITY I GUESS!

Good Luck

Being Sober > Any Temptation

For me I think Im still trying to change the past (I CANT). I need to accept it and move forward, 1 day at a time.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Don't be too hard on yourself--this is a very difficult time of the year.

Days are short, weather is lousy, and "holidays" means "drunk-days" for many. The news seems to tell a story of a world gone berserk.

Changing one's lifestyle to prevent anxiety is, in my opinion, harder than not drinking. Staying sober means avoiding bending my elbow and putting glass to lips. Exercise and attitude changes take all kinds of real work.

I hope you're on your way to yoga class and read this later when you're feeling better.

:ghug3
Old 01-05-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

oh boy. i made it back.
yoga and a few hours of heavy cardio in the books.

i feel drained physically... but a little stronger emotionally. still panicky and shaky... but i feel like there's a little bigger barrier between myself and anxiety.

gotta tell you, the endorphins from exercise are strong and real
just a glimmer of hope... that's all. but it's better than being drunk.

i almost gave in and drove to buy liquor. i didn't. i could've been drunk by now. instead i pray for another day of sobriety.
if i get drunk now there is no hope in tomorrow. if i stay sober there certainly is hope of a brighter day. i know that.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Well, I just got back from a meeting with my sponsor. I can't figure out who God is, so we put off that problem and talked about exercise. In addition to alcoholism, my sponsor is recovering from severe obesity. I'm the former athlete and now he gets more physical activity than I do!

Maybe I'll find God if I go for a run?
Old 01-05-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Serious
Well done, so glad you are back safe and sound. I am just gone 9 months and I know it is still so difficult. I really hope your anxiety reduces, sounds as if you are working on it. Good man.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi serious - I'm really sorry your anxiety is bad - I agree with Elizabeth tho - make sure the Dr knows you don't want benzoes - I'd imagine there are other alternatives.

Above all - do not fall the alcohol lure - you already know this....

*if* it works at all, it will only be a transient effect...your anxiety will return...but way more so.

D
Old 01-05-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about the panic attacks. I've had something that I guess could be called a panic attack. In my case it was trying to not drink and pacing the kitchen wringing my hands, gazing longingly at the fridge. Oh my dear sweet buddy, the fridge. It's saying, "I love you, I love you, I love you."

Yeah, then why aren't I eating any of the food in there? Sheer indifference to consuming bulk matter.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Panic attacks are really debilitating.

Have you checked out this website Serious - they have some good stuff there
Calm Clinic for Your Anxiety & Panic « Calm Clinic

D
Old 01-05-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thank you all for the support.

it's been a really rough day. still is. so far i managed to keep sober. now that the nightfall is here, things are getting a bit out of control.
feels like an everlasting urge with a kick of shakes and panic.

man what a nightmare.
i don't think i've ever felt this, although i'm sure in my drinking days i was worse.

i'm still here though, hoping to get some peaceful sleep. that would be a miracle.

thank you, all.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Has your doc discussed the possibility of something like beta blockers Serious? I am pretty sure they're not addictive. Otherwise you could get them to refer you to some CBT type therapy... That really helped me with my anxiety when it was really bad, not immediately but there was a definite knock on effect. And that was when I was drinking too. Other than that things like books on tape helped, just a distraction and something else to concentrate on really. I hope you find some relief soon x
Old 01-05-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. Anxiety is the worst, because we start getting anxious about being anxious. When that happens to me, everything I think of is just adds fuel to the fire.

Breathing really does help. Also, gratitude often helps me put things in perspective (just thinking about the fact that I have a roof over my head, food to eat, etc.). Another thing I do is to look at my fear/anxiety like a little child and just try to be gentle and (figuratively) put my arms around that child and reassure it. When all else fails, a good old-fashioned milkshake can do wonders!

As others have said, there are alternatives to benzos. I take a very, very low dose of a blood pressure medication and it helps quite a bit.

I'm glad you're posting and not drinking.... We're here for ya.....:ghug3