Notices

Short hello

Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Short hello

Hello...
My name is Kizzy, i'm 40yrs old and from England. I have been sober 12 days now after drinking every evening for 16yrs.
My kids 19 and 15 are happy and support me but i'm struggling and don't want to overburden them...
This site is a godsend
I am currently trying to repair the damage I have done with supplements, I take cranberry,B complex, a multivitamin and milk thistle.
Is there anything else that would help me recover?
So much for the short hello...
Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope you stick with it. My father was an alcoholic and died in December. He was 82. My son is an addict and that is why I am on this site. I can't take the up and downs. I just want help in feeling stable. My son's addiction is killing me.
I would do anything to have him stay clean. He has been on various drugs for about 6 or 7 years and he is only 20 years old.
I really hope you stay sober. It is the greatest gift you can give yourself and your family.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kizzy - welcome

I really think the best thing is continued sobriety and time.
We put our minds and bodies through a lot...it takes a while to repair and recover...and it should.

If you have any specific concerns, seeing your Dr is a great idea

D
Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear about your father 2013hope, my mother is in her 80's and still drinks everyday.
Thankyou so much for your support. I hope your boy finds the strength to stop, with all the wonderful advice on here i'm sure you will be able to stay strong for him.
Don't give up hope
Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Kizzy - welcome

I really think the best thing is continued sobriety and time.
We put our minds and bodies through a lot...it takes a while to repair and recover...and it should.

If you have any specific concerns, seeing your Dr is a great idea

D
Thankyou
You are right, I can't undo years of abuse straightaway. I haven't felt as bad as I was expecting to actually.
Insomnia, headaches and some slight discomfort but like you suggest if it carries on I will see my doc.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi kizzy! Congratulations on making the big decision to stop. You'll never regret it. Wish I'd stopped at age 40. You're going to love it here - you will never be alone.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi kizzy! Congratulations on making the big decision to stop. You'll never regret it. Wish I'd stopped at age 40. You're going to love it here - you will never be alone.
Thankyou!
It's been a long time coming this, I still can't believe i've done it...
Keep pinching myself. I come from a family of people who drink to hide their feelings and deal with their emotions.
Need to find a new way to vent.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
User

Congratulations on twelve days, Kizzy!! I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say hello and wish you luck in your recovery.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Hi Kizzy,

Good on you for 12 days just like that. Look at you go!
Glad you found this place - there is a wealth of knowledge and support here to keep you occupied, listen to you vent and cheer you on in your new life.

Welcome!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kizzy40 View Post
Thankyou!
Keep pinching myself. I come from a family of people who drink to hide their feelings and deal with their emotions.
First, welcome to SR!!!

I stopped at 41, I used alcohol as stress relief t the end of the day. I have found planning other activities at the time I used to pour the first glass of wine has been key for me. I have been exercising a lot, reding, and I do spend quite a bit of time on SR, I am usually the las one awake, and there is always someone on here!!!

Looking forward to hearing how you are doing.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a caring and supportive site. :ghug3 Congrats on your twelve days sober and here's to many more!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good for you, Kizzy! Almost 2 weeks. Your kids must be proud - imagine what they're saying to each other about how strong you're being!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kizzy40 View Post
Thankyou!
Ouch! My parents never drank. My mom's totally in touch with her feelings. My dad doesn't seem to even know what feelings are. Regardless, I got the alkie gene somehow. Other siblings didn't, aside from one sister. Just the way the cookie crumbles I guess. We all had the same consistent parents.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi kizzy. I'm only a few years behind you but now quit for 73 days. Feels awesome. I'm also from England - we get everywhere!

Keep an eye on the supplements. I took much over the RDA of bvits and ended up with itchy skin.

I also take udos oil capsules to rehydrate. Alcohol dehydrates us but water is not always enough if you don't get enough essential fats to help absorption. I'm no expert obviously but my skin and hair seem to be better with the essential fatty acids.

Good luck- you can do it!

S x
Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thankyou all so much...
found out an old friend passed over christmas, the kids are bored of me moaning and i'm really down...
Having a serious wobble.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

hang in there. going through one big "wobble" myself

drinking won't help. the wobble will get worse... exercise helps a ton. but i'm exhausted now, still kept me from drinking so far.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks serious!
Great news on the exercise, well done! what a great way of keeping mind and body active
Looking forward to my sleep regulating and having enough energy to put one foot in front of the other never mind exercise haha.
Chomping away at enough chewing gum to wear my teeth to stubs and have drunk 6 gallons of tea so far today...
Old 01-06-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Keep going kizzy. Once you hit double figures its easier for sure. I keep counting forward (although trying not to obsess!) I'm on day 73 and looking forward to hitting 100 days. I started off just like you.

S x