Notices

What is a good plan for sobriety

Old 01-04-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is a good plan for sobriety

Any suggestions? I was sober 155 day did it alone well with this site and all of the amazing folks here. Any suggestions to help come up with a plan?

Last edited by Positivefuture; 01-04-2013 at 06:27 PM. Reason: iPad
Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As someone with no days....perhaps contribute what worked for you? We'd appreciate it.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Let me clarify my original post. I am not the best writer. I "was" started drinking Christmas stopped new years. On day 3. I felt if I reached out more I would be on day 164 (if I didn't drink Christmas)

Dancing girl stay close and the want to get sober is a good step.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You had a ton of sober days!! I have used this site and parts of WFS, SMART, and AVRT. I journal a lot, have read lots of books about recover, and have become an exercise fanatic again. I do not believe there is one way that works for everyone. Explore some of the options in the secular section, and check out the books in Anna's thread.

Glad you are back, I am looking forward to getting 155 days, on day 85 today!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'll tell you what worked for me...This plan was given to me by my rehab...I was told to read the first 164 pages of the Big Book of AA...I read it three times...I was told to do 90 meetings in 90 days....I did over 180. I was told to get a sponsor and work the 12 steps...I got a sponsor my second day out of rehab and worked the steps in 90 days. I just celebrated a year and a half living happily without alcohol....I wanted it that bad.....It was kind of life or death for me. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Not meaning to sound contrary to Sapling, but I started in the back of the AA and NA "Big Books" with the personal stories. They suited my brain waves at that point in recovery. Here are some tips from the Lake Chelan Community Hospital dual-diagnosis recovery program:

Key Methods of Living Sober

Attend a meeting daily. If needed, attend more in a day.

Participate in the meetings. The more you give, the more you get!

Introduce yourself to another person before or after the meeting. Do this until you know three people to say "Hi" to when you come to a meeting again.

Call two people from the phone list you received. Explain you are new and just want to practice using the phone. Ask about good meetings to attend. Or just wish the person "Happy New Year!"--it might make their day!

Listen to the announcements. Some AA or NA events are just for fun.

Select a sponsor as soon as possible. The person should have at least one year consecutive sobriety and know and practice the program. He/she should be able to guide you through step work and be reasonably available.

Start you day by acknowledging your higher power and ask for guidance. Close your day with gratitude for your sobriety and any other gifts which came your way.

Set aside 5 to 10 minutes a day to read a portion of the big book or NA text. Increase the time as your brain waves begin to level.

Allow yourself time to rest each day. Eat nutritiously on a regular basis.

Take time out when your emotions are on a major high or low. Balance is the goal.

Prayer is the telephone to your higher power. How do you know he won't answer if you don't call?

Ask for serenity from your higher power. The "Serenity Prayer" has saved many.

Call your sponsor or a friend on the phone list when you are out of sync.

Write about your feelings in a journal.

Make a list of the options that help you when you get into the trapped feelings. Make the list when you are feeling free.

Make notes that inspire your recovery and place them in conspicuous places. It might help prevent you from a relapse.

Remember that a compulsion only lasts forever if you give in to it.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That looks good Coldfusion.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovered

When I first joined SR in 2009, I came up with a plan to quit for good. It is post #6 of this thread:

The Plan

My plan has changed a little over time, but I still follow it daily. I rarely think about drinking/using anymore and am finally the person I always wished I could be: a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend who is sober, happy, and free.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Not meaning to sound contrary to Sapling, but I started in the back of the AA and NA "Big Books" with the personal stories. They suited my brain waves at that point in recovery.
The first 164 pages deal with the program of recovery...The first 103 pages plus the Doctor's Opinion are the directions for the steps....I love the stories in the back....But I needed relief....Badly. That's why I got busy.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
When I first joined SR in 2009, I came up with a plan to quit for good. It is post #6 of this thread:

The Plan

My plan has changed a little over time, but I still follow it daily. I rarely think about drinking/using anymore and am finally the person I always wished I could be: a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend who is sober, happy, and free.
That's awesome.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

what kind of suggestions or support are you looking for/interested in PF?

D
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

suggestions

Originally Posted by Positivefuture View Post
Any suggestions? I was sober 155 day did it alone well with this site and all of the amazing folks here. Any suggestions to help come up with a plan?

Well I go to many real meetings a week and I am easily able to stay away from a drink. Service work in AA is also good in early sobriety. I have a sponsor and support group . deek
Old 01-08-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Help lol

Dumb question here folks , what's the difeerence between a blog and a post. New here. ty