Quit alcohol... now smoking more pot

Old 01-04-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quit alcohol... now smoking more pot

I have been meaning to post this for a while, but a recent post about pot smoking has just prompted me.

My RABF quit drinking over a month ago. He's doing well so far. But... Since he quit, he has amped up his other vices - cigarettes, coffee, and pot smoking. To be honest, I am so overjoyed he has finally quit drinking I don't really care about the other things at this point. Admittedly, he says he wants to cut down on them with time.

The cigarettes and coffee I'm not too worried about, and I am sure he'll slow down when he's ready. I quit smoking cold turkey six years ago. It was just time for me to quit so I did. I'm sure he'll quit when it's his time. Or not. But there are worse things than smoking. Like being an alcoholic, for example!

It's the pot I'm concerned about. I've read a few things which have said alcoholics shouldn't take other drugs if they quit drinking as it can trigger their addiction. I realise nicotine and caffeine are also drugs but, from what I read, pot is considered a "drug" drug.

Not being a pot smoker I can't gauge this, but I do remember breaking up with my first boyfriend (loooong time ago) on account of his pot smoking. Not a bad move considering he's 34 now and still living with his parents, still working at the petrol station, still whiling away the hours on his Playstation... The again, I have many friends who smoke and live independent and responsible lives. Not passing judgement.

I worry because RABF has been out of a job for some time now, and I would really hate if his newfound sober motivation to sort his life out was quashed by being stoned.

So I guess my question is.... should alcoholics avoid ALL drugs, or does it depend on the person?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovered

Ahhh, the famous "marijuana maintenance plan".

I can't put any mind-altering chemical in my body. I am an addict. Alcohol is a drug. Pot is a drug. I can't do either. I took them to change the way I feel. No can do.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
Ahhh, the famous "marijuana maintenance plan".

I can't put any mind-altering chemical in my body. I am an addict. Alcohol is a drug. Pot is a drug. I can't do either. I took them to change the way I feel. No can do.
I tried the other mind altering substances maintenance plan and all it did was kept the addict in me alive and well. Eventually had a 4 year slip with alcohol that almost killed me.

Clean and sober is my only option
Old 01-04-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

IMO, he is not in recovery as he is smoking pot. Most companies require a drug test, and many now do random testing. You had mentioned before that he lacks motivation, doing pot will only make that worse.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My understanding of recovery is to stop the use of all mind altering substances. Thousands of years ago, when I was in my 20's, an acquaintance had a serious cocaine problem. Our crowd were all social "partiers" at the time. I remember being shocked when he returned from court ordered rehab and told us he couldn't drink, couldn't smoke pot. I laugh when I think of how naive I was then. I truly didn't put it all together.

Now, many people in recovery substitute coffee, cigarettes, meetings, or religion for the prior crutch of their drug of choice. With the exception of cigarettes (sorry-I'm an RN), who cares if you are OD-ing on the Bible??? It may make some of your acquaintances run for the hills, but it won't kill you.

IMHO, you are not sober while stoned.

Take what you like and leave the rest. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey there Audrey,
Seeing as how I'm an insufferable optimist i just hoots ask...

Isn't it great that he does such a great job keeping you from getting bored?

As usual, your intuition is pretty good here... It's an improvement but pot is replacing alcohol. Addicts call this "drug of choice". My wife has fought the same issue. When she first realized that alcohol was a problem (nothing like a seizure and heart attack for an otherwise healthy 35 year old to get the point) her instinct was to get a doctor to prescribe the right combination of happy pills - sleeping, anti-anxiety, antidepressants, toss in amphetamines for ADD and cigarettes...

She gets it today. She told me to keep an eye on my pain meds and write down how many I take when and don't leave them out.

What really did it was her last month of pregnancy and six weeks of breast feeding. The docs knew the whole story and tapered her dosages down until she wasnt even having caffeine (lol, she's cleaner than me -,remind me if I bitch about her disease).

So there you go... Just knock him up, get him to AA with a strong sponsor and all will be just fine... Got any harder questions?

Sorry, figured you might need a laugh. Learning all this and trying to figure it out when you still haven't quite realized you can't fix this has got to be wearing you out right now :-(

Seriously I think you got it, alcoholism is addiction where the drug of choice is alcohol. The underlying problem remains but the symptoms have changed a but. Addiction is like a nasty virus, hey wait, I think I have a good analogy brewing...

Addiction is like a virus. Untreated they can both be fatal. When you think you have them cured they can both mutate without warning. There are drugs and protocols that can be used to suppress them and help the patient survive. ....and despite all of the miracles modern medicine has given us our species has found a cure for exactly zero of them combined.

****, that's depressing. Sorry ;-)

Hang in there, long bumpy road but you are a sober driver. You'll get home safe if you keep asking for directions, studying the maps and keep both hands on the wheel. One mile at a time.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just knock him up, get him to AA with a strong sponsor and all will be just fine..
I don't know if Audrey laughed, but I did!!~!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
I don't know if Audrey laughed, but I did!!~!
I did have a laugh! Thanks, PohsFriend. It's nice to inject some comic relief into these threads.

As for your question... I don't know what it's like to be bored. I believe boredom is a choice as there's just too much to do in the world. But yes, being with an alcoholic is certainly never boring, and now that he's a RA, it's also not boring, but in a good way. Example, he just called me to thank me for doing something for him. He would never have thought to do that before. He has a newfound clarity of vision that is very welcome. I even have moments when I realise I can't get away with saying something dumb like I used to as I knew it would just get lost in the alcohol fog. Sometimes I used to try to amuse myself by rambling on about planning our next trip to space, and what we should pack, etc, all because I knew it would be met with a dull, "Yeah... we should do that" as he was never really listening.

Gotta get back on my game.

P.S. If only I could "knock him up". He would love kids and (sober) we will be a great dad. Sadly, I doubt this will be anywhere in the near future as I think we need to see how his newfound sobriety pans out for a while yet.

Hey PohsFriend, I've read your story, but just wondering if you can shed some light on whether there were any standout milestones that were more difficult than others since your wife quit drinking? I realise each story is different, but all I know for now (as per RABFs therapist) is that the first month is difficult as the physical addiction is still there. I'm afraid the language barrier has prevented in-depth conversation with the therapist about what to expect so I can only rely on the kindness of fellow SoberRecovery dwellers for insight.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

P.P.S. A big thanks to mfanch and MIRecovery for your input. I really appreciate the insight and advice of those in recovery.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It seems to me like he is just trading one addiction for another... the real question in my mind: would be is he able to confront life head on without the use of mind altering substances? I once had a pot head boyfriend and that became old very quickly...
Old 01-05-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Replacing alcohol with pot does not equal recovery.

I used up my right to chemical peace of mind decades ago.

Just my two cents.