Notices

day 3, friday night, feeling anxious

Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 3, friday night, feeling anxious

it's day 3 for me and it's friday night. just feel like having one when I get home. I feel so good since I've gone 2 days my mind is playing trix on me making me think having some tonight is ok.

how do you folks deal?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm thinking you need to ask yourself to look back three days and then ask yourself why you quit. The light will come on and you wont think its ok anymore. Be strong and you can work through this. It'll be worth the effort.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its another Friday which I know for me, and perhaps some of you can lead to temptation. I am going to do what I have done for the last 4 Fridays. Before I leave work I am going to sit for a few minutes and just think about the day after 5 fridays ago and how awful and embarrassed and ashamed I felt when I woke up that morning. This has kept me focused on not drinking for 4 Fridays - its going to work again tonight.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Day three was hard for me too. Physical stuff died down and I started to question whether I could just have one. TRUST ME - don't do it!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oops did not mean to hit submit yet. The above post is almost exactly what I said in an earlier post today. I have been doing exactly what mytime66 suggests. I think about the reason I quit that awful day and so far it has been the best ever motivator not to pick up a drink. Good luck
Old 01-04-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

how do you folks deal?

For me it's helpful to have a program for recovery. After years of resisting I gave up and started going to AA meetings. The AA program, and the face to face fellowship of other people struggling with alcohol made a huge difference.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me I find it useful reminding myself that it doesn't matter what day of the week it is. I was more of am anti-social drinker anyway and the whole Friday/Saturday night feeling never applied to me as I'd prefer to stay home alone anyhow. The point is, for myself anyway, that I have a drink problem and I have one 7 days a week, 365 days a year. I'm sure I could justify a drink any day a hundred times over, what I can't justify is failing myself again.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thanks everyone. I will be doing my best tonight. Good luck to anyone else struggling. I'll be back on later
Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Drinking on Fridays is a hard habit to break, but it's just that-a habit, and it can be done. It gets easier as you go along. Day 3 was a hard day in general so work through it and keep going forward. Try to find other ways to reward yourself while you're getting used to it all.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello My Friend,

Get a grip - alcohol is cunning and it messes with our mind and body. Breaking old habits such as weekend drinking is hard. Take it one day at a time.

Good Luck!

Being Sober > Any Temptation
Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I always thought if I took one drink I would be back to being an alcoholic, and I would not get a second chance to get sober. I was actually scared to ever drink again, because I could not believe how lucky I was to have been able to get sober. I was chicken!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

recovery. recovery. recovery.
meetings, self care, taking myself out shopping when i felt like drinking (or doing something comparably good), making tea, and maybe most importantly getting back into things I used to love to do - art, movies, walking, running, drinking tea, etc. valuing those things as intrinsically good activities that can be fulfilling and take up energy/boredom used/fixed via drinking.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Every Friday I faced it got easier halfvictory

if nothing else - hang out here a while

D
Old 01-04-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I feeling the same way... the weekend is here so now what. Not that the weekend ever made a difference because I was drinking daily. I keep thinking that one drink will not hurt, but I know that one drink will lead to another and another. Today is day #4 for me. I know that if I have a drink tonight that it will lead to drinking the entire weekend. It is a never ending battle.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I remember posting on here on a few different Fridays.I drank every day but Fridays were always a reason to drink even more since it was the end of the work week(even tho I didn't work..?) Mostly,I sat here on SR most of the night,Did the on line meeting here at 9pm,which is wonderful,and got on chat here after the meeting til I was tired.
You can do this
Pook
Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello halfvictory;

Today is also my my 3rd day and for the first time in maybe 10 years, im not drinking or smoking on a Friday. The weekend is not over and all of my friends drink so i had to set myself up to succeed and distant myself from certain people. It's not easy as i wonder, what the f*4k im going to do with myself. Drinking is my hobby, im known for drinking a whole bottle of Johnie Walker Black Label to the face.

Anyhow, i feel so good about myself. Im a avid reader of Napoleon Hill and for the first time im putting his success principles to work. One is meditation and auto-suggestion (affirmation). I had this knowledge for over 3 years and never put it to work cause i was too busy drinking and feeling sick the next day to even get out of bed. Another one is the mastermind group which im doing right now talking to you guys. Basically, just get together with like minded people who are trying to accomplish the same goals, in this case, stop drinking. This will make things easier for you.

For the last month i also took inventory of myself daily and asking myself, "What is holding me back right now from my success?" If not all the time, majority was my drinking habits. Im only 26 but i been drinking since i was 13. I had to aknowledge myself that i have a drinking problem, even when others told me.

Just believe. Faith works wonders. I had to stop thinking about the past and future and focus on the present which is right now.

Hold ya heads !!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've come around to the realization that my drinking, left unchecked, will put me in the ground. And I have no desire to detox again. It was almost a week before I felt right last time. F that S

Plus I am kind of a neat person when I'm not on the sauce Funny, talented, insightful once in awhile. You got to stay bright.