Notices

Feeling I can drink again

Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling I can drink again

Hi

I'm geting this awful strange feeling that I can drink again and It will be OK. Nothing major happening in my life to make me drink, Just a strong urge to drink and the head games that I will be able to handle it. Please tell me this feeling will pass because I'm afraid to pick up again. I keep thinking of the consequences but the devil in my head is saying, It's ok,nothing will happen to you.

Thanks for listening

Theresa
Old 01-03-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovered

Spiritual/emotional drunkenness --> Mental drunkenness --> Physical drunkenness

For me, the spiritual/emotional and then mental drunkenness always happened before the physical drunk. Dealing with the spiritual drunk always made the mental one go away. So far I haven't had to pick up the drink.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

but the devil in my head is saying, It's ok,nothing will happen to you.
It is a devil.It's your addictive voice.It will tell you anything to get you to drink. Don't entertain it.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't give in to the urge! If you don't drink then nothing bad will happen...if you do drink it may lead to more drinking. I thought I could handle a little wine during the holidays. I actually did well as far as not drinking too much. But a week later and I realized I had wine 4 or 5 nts out of 7 😝. Now I'm having a hard time getting motivated again. I wish I had just stuck to the "no drinking"...Just my two cents.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gr8t2bme View Post
Hi

I'm geting this awful strange feeling that I can drink again and It will be OK. Nothing major happening in my life to make me drink, Just a strong urge to drink and the head games that I will be able to handle it. Please tell me this feeling will pass because I'm afraid to pick up again. I keep thinking of the consequences but the devil in my head is saying, It's ok,nothing will happen to you.

Thanks for listening

Theresa
Hi Theresa,

How long have you been sober? Is it worth the risk of detoxing again?

......and the simple answer to this question for alcoholics is:

No you cannot drink ever again--ever. Any day we take a drink we start the cycle all over. Take the easy way out and Never try to drink again.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

My AV still regularly tells me that it is ok to drink even though 7 months ago I had a daily pain in my liver. Probably would be a good idea to confront your voice and tell it who is in control.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gr8t2bme View Post
Hi

Thanks for listening

Theresa
Definitely a devil. Most of us cannot drink under any circumstances. If you're like most of us, it can only lead to disaster.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

gr8, at least you almost made it to 8 months. Looking over your posts...early on you made an impressive list of what made your drinking so much fun. I'm surprised given how it goes for you when drinking that it seems now like a good idea to visit Disneyland again.

But, our heads can be funny sometimes.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's possible you can drink again, but if you have doubts about it, my suspicion is that you absolutely can not and should not, and you should listen to that cautious side of yourself.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

All things pass, but me careful what ideas you feed

(thanks dee for the two wolves story)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Any time I get that feeling I know it's a lie, Theresa.
Look back in your heart at the things that bought you here to SR nearly 3 years ago now.

You're on the right track now...whatever's causing you to doubt that right now...don't

D
Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It seems so cliche and a scare tactic till you drink one time and months down the road back to where you were in your dark times then you realize it's the truth.

I was one to think that I wasn't even an alocoholic prior to getting sober and when I could handle it it'd be like I never was. Well I was wrong.

Sometimes unfortantely you have to learn on your own. I'm learning every day I struggle now.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, I've felt like that, usually what I do is come to this site and read people's horror stories of relapse and remind myself I'm not unique. The feelings do pass, and I'm usually left with a greater insight and appreciation of my sobriety, and renewed gratitude. Don't do it, you'll be rewarded with empowerment.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't believe the lie! That is your addictive voice telling you that you can drink.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

you will regret it, when your not feeling good anymore.
i thought after a year, i'd be fine; its been long enough, i can handle it.

months later,ive gained weight, become paranoid and depressed.

"you're feeling fine because u aint drinking the wine!"