Notices

Embarassing Reminders..

Old 01-03-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Embarassing Reminders..

I hope everyone is doing well today, enjoying their new years resolutions of sobriety. I read often about people finding stashes of alcohol months after sobering up. I am doing pretty well with my sobriety, but had a grim reminder of the depth of my alcoholism. I was shopping yesterday, picking up some of those after season bargains, probably compensating for not drinking by speanding money superfluously. Anyhow, I had a store employee helping me with a onerous bulky item to my car. As he was standing there, I open the car trunk, and there staring at both of us is a Mickey of Vodka. First off, how did I even forget it was there? Second, why would I have hidden it in the trunk. Third, this persons look on his face told me everything. We put the item in the trunk, and I quickly closed it... Embarassing. The booze is thrown away now, in the first dumpster I could find. Maybe I should have emptied it, or maybe I contributed to some street persons misery... I am so glad to be back on the sober path...
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sure this store employee had no thoughts except maybe it was left in from a New Years Eve binge.

When I went to detox my wife had searched the entire house to get rid of all half filled or empty whiskey pint bottles. She found 3. When I got out I searched as well found another 5. Came across another this summer when I was cleaning out the basement.

Amazing how many different places we forgot where we hide our booze or what we hide. It goes to show how publicly ashamed we are and in my case what lengths I would go through to hide it from the people who cared the most.

I wouldn't sweat it. Just be thankful you found it and not a cop.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

You might be and alcoholic if you hide your booze so well even you can not find it. Been there, done that.

Those days are things in the past
Old 01-03-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

...How about in various places throughout the office. Found some 5 O'clock (only the finest for me) Gin in my filing cabinet today. I was always a beer drinker unless I needed something stronger to start or maintain my stooper.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

:ghug3 Hey Lost

Miss you in chat.
Just keep moving forward. Things surface that we feel shameful of. My sponcor says "look don't stare"
Look at it, don't obsess over it because thats dangerous ground.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by terribob View Post
...How about in various places throughout the office. Found some 5 O'clock (only the finest for me) Gin in my filing cabinet today. I was always a beer drinker unless I needed something stronger to start or maintain my stooper.
5 OClock nothing but the best for me too. $5.99/Day kept me going for years!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Booze in the trunk wouldn't make me think "Alcoholic". If it was on the floor in the front, different story. I found empties all over the place when I decided to sober up and I can't believe that at the time I didn't think anything wrong of hiding bottles. I thought it was best as to avoid my 'prudish' gf's discerning eye. I guess that was classic denial...
Old 01-03-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It really was exhausting, wasnt it? sneaking off the liquor store, going to different stores each day because, God forbid, they think I am an alcoholic. Sneaking gulps of liquor when no one is watching, hiding those bottles, trying to remember where they are. Using mouthwash and gum...Alcoholism was really hard work, not to mention the risks I took, going to get more, and the money spent. Sobriety is so much easier... its that little bugger voice that occasionally pipes up saying, one or two is alright, when I know dam well it isnt....
Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I doubt the guy cared or even really noticed that bottle. I remember when I started feeling guilty about drinking as though everyone knew or thought I had a problem- it was closely correlated with me starting to think I had a problem.

A few years back, before I really thought much of my drinking I had a big bottle of vodka in my golf bag that fell out right in front of the ranger and shattered loudly sending shards and vodka all over the cart path- we all just laughed it off- I thought nothing of it.

If that were to have happened in the past few years though I would genuinely have felt terribly self conscious lol- Everyone knows!!!!!! Funny how our minds shape various experiences.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh yes.... I hear this one too. Two weeks before Christmas, I was taking out my bins for the tree and whatnot and found an empty of vodka. My daughter looked at me with such pity. It was very embarrassing. I cannot believe the crap we put ourselves through for what???
Next week I am 7 months sober and God help me to stay like this forever.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really doubt it registered LE...we tend to think everyone has 'alcohol radar' like we do
but I've found that's very rarely the case

glad you threw it out - and great to see you back

D