Notices

New to the site, Day 3 Sober

Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to the site, Day 3 Sober

Hello there,

Never had I thought I would join something like this, but hey I need all the support I can get. I want to be sober to prove to myself that my mind is stronger than the pain my body feels. I have been a Cannabis patient and user for almost 15 years now. When I was younger it was recreational, but now that I am nearing 32, it is used medicinally.

Within the last 3 years I have been also drinking pretty regularly. This is something that I have been choosing to ignore up until recently when my family sat me down for a verbal intervention. This is also when I chose to come clean about my abuse of over the counter cough medicine (Dextromethorphan), which they didn't know about. My abuse of Dex has been ongoing for the last 2 years as well.

When I first started using Dex, it was purely to stay awake at night as to attempt to stop the break-ins to my house that were occurring when I was normally asleep. After hearing about it being a Rave drug from when I was younger, I knew what its effects on the body were.

Stupid reasons I know, but when locks, police, and security systems were not enough, I knew it was someone close to me that could get in quietly.

So with the Dex, it allowed me to appear sleeping, resting with my eyes closed if you will. Sadly though after a good six months my body was dependent on the drug. When I wasn't using Dex, all I did was sleep all day. I even stopped smoking Cannabis during this time at some point to try and change my sleeping habits. I was on this roller coaster and there seemed to be no way off of it.

So up until early December 2012, I was using Dex almost daily, Alcohol at night mixed with Indica Cannabis (Indica Cannabis is typically used for inducing sleep) to go to sleep, and Sativa Cannabis (sativa is used more for alert, awake times). Dangerous combinations that I should have never done.

As of today, I am about 3 weeks sober from Dex, and 2 days sober from Alcohol and Cannabis. Honestly at this point I am unsure of what kind of damage I have done to my body due to the dex and the mixing of that with Alcohol.

I have read quite a bit up on the long term effects of dex over the last few weeks, and have not noticed any of the side effects that some other people have been blogging about. Although family and friends have told me that I am "different" than a few years ago. More closed off and that I don't notice subtle things as much as I used to. It is a dissociative drug after all.

No more excuses. I took to heart what my family and friends told me about my drug and alcohol abuse. With being a Cannabis patient, it is extra hard for me do this sobriety challenge. I do use Cannabis for ongoing pain relief from my Scoliosis and Arthritis.

However to truly become sober, I had to make the hard decision to even stop my Cannabis use as well. I want to have a child one day, and I knew that if things kept going the way they were this dream would never come true. So here I am making the choice to change my ways and heal myself, body, and soul.

Sorry for the novel, but I thought that if I explained more about myself and my abuse, maybe it might help others to have courage to share themselves too. Thanks for reading!
Old 01-03-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great to hear you are doing the right thing, keep us informed with your progress. There are lots of supportive people on here.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've decided to live a sober life.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep going!!! I quit cannibus 7 years ago......it was far from easy but trust me it can be done. What really helped was not looking inward all the time. All my thoughts were about giving up all day every day, combined with the worry of any long term damage i had done. Its really really unhealthy!!!! I know this sounds odd but you have to focus on turning off that little non stop me me me voice in your head. I know easier said than done!!! it really helped me to keep busy best of luck just take it one day at a time
Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome drumrgirl!

Congratulations on day 3! It always takes time for our brains/bodies to adjust, so take it easy on yourself......

I'm so glad you reached out for support today - it made all the difference for me, knowing that others understood what I was going through. We're glad you're here - awesome post!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome! This site is a great resource. Congrats on 3 days.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Drumrgirl! Congrats on your sobriety.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to have you with us, Drumrgirl.

I know how hard it is to arrive at these decisions, but you'll never regret the action you're taking. I never imagined my life without alcohol - but now I can't imagine spending my days numb and foggy, the way I once did.

When I joined SR I never thought I'd find so many people with my same problem. I felt all alone up until then. It made things so much easier, having others to relate to. We're all in this together.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome drumrgirl

I self managed my chronic pain with alcohol or pot for many years - in really tho my 'medicine' was managing me.

I've found there are far more effective ways to deal with my pain - less side effects and general destruction too

do you have a Pain Management consultant/Dr?

D
Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR drumrgirl
Old 01-03-2013, 03:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! :ghug3