Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What do people do with all of their spare time now they have stopped drinking?

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone
Just wondering what everyone does with themselves now they don't drink/use?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
Originally Posted by freedom1228 View Post
Hi Everyone
Just wondering what everyone does with themselves now they don't drink/use?
The good stuff:
I spend more time exercising and with family. Life becomes more interesting; when someone asks "do you want to visit the USS Xxxxxxxx this weekend?", I'm not doing a mental calculation to figure out whether I can make it up that early on a Saturday without being totally hungover.

The not so good stuff:
I sometimes get into bouts where I waste time on the Internet (like right now during the holidays)

The stuff I don't do anymore:
Waste time being hungover and/or sleeping in... or spending time in bed as a result of catching a cold/flu from being out and about too much while drinking.
Filling my expense reports with white lies or outright lies to account for my late night drinking excursions.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Being a better, more aware, more attentive and more available mother, primarily. Little things, like making crepes or pancakes for breakfast, rather than barely throwing together a lunch and eagerly getting them on the buses so I can go lie down.

Making better food, doing more fun things preparing for the holiday(when I was sober for December). Just getting to the exercise this week, as i was sick the whole month of December as well, and my chest/lungs were not up to taking it.

Reading the stack of books I have been meaning to get to.

Reading a couple of new books on recovery or to inspire recovery.

Sleeping better.

Attending to a few business matters I was avoiding. My dad passed in February, and I have some loose ends there which I avoid.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My brother who is a recoverer calls it "living a normal life".

Just doing whatever you like doing really...
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is an issue I've been struggling with. I'm past 30 days sober which was huge for me. I haven't been able to go two days in a very long time. I've been really sulky and almost depressed because I can't drink anymore. I've convinced myself my life will be boring without alcohol.

But this morning I've really looked back on the past month and realized my life has been a lot better. Even though I'm in legal trouble and my marriage has been strained becaus of my irresponsible decisions, things have been better! Because, I'm not lying anymore. I'm not hiding alcohol anymore. I'm not puking anymore. My anxiety is almost ALL the way gone. I don't feel totalt guilty and shameful in the morning after a night full of drinking and blacking out. I'm not drinking before work and school anymore. I'm not drinking and driving anymore. I could go on and on of the things I'm not doing, and not doing these things has greatly improved my life.

Now, what I need to work on is LIVING without alcohol. Getting back into my old hobbies, or finding new ones. Focusing on fixing myself and my marriage. Working really hard at my job and in school. And most of all, finding peace with things that have happened and forgiving myself. It seems like I've been in limbo for a month now. Almost like I was mourning alcohol - as silly as that sounds, I was really sad when I finally realized I have to give it up. But now, it's time to move on and really start living without the anchor that's been weighing me down for a long time.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Running and playing guitar have been instrumental in keeping me busy with all my new free time. Both are highly therapeutic to me. Also, if you think it is too late to pick up an instrument, I am 41 and started 3 years ago. Now that I am sober all the time, I joined a bluegrass roundtable on Tuesday nights and have a blast.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Gym,Eat,Gym,Eat,Gym,Eat.....You get the idea.....