Notices

For those who were/are addicted to valium

Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For those who were/are addicted to valium

How much were you taking and did you taper off it. How long was the taper, etc? How was the withdrawal? I know I've already heard from a couple of you and appreciate it muchly. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nobods?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

We can't give any kind of medical advice, so it's probably best for you to talk to your dr.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you're trying to get off Valium yourself, I'd strongly advise you to go to detox. Valium has a very long half-life, and takes a very long time to get out of your system. Withdrawal can be very dangerous.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not after medical advise just people's experiences
Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I realise that MLC but asking for specifics on tapering does actually break our medical advice rule, or may cause others to, as well.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
we're pretty strict about this rule in Newcomers forum, for obvious reasons

D
Old 01-03-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry
Old 01-03-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

no need to be - posted the rule so everyone knows MLC

D
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Midlife - I am in the middle of a Valium taper. I was a daily drinker and when I awoke with the inevitable racing heart and jitters I would start taking Valium - 5 mgs at a time. At my height I was using 20-25 mgs.

My taper was designed by my doctor. It follows a fairly well known protocol, the Ashton method I believe. However, I am going a little faster.

This is time #3 for me to quit. The last times, I had withdrawal symptoms but I believe that was because I tried to taper too fast. And I was also drinking.

PM me if you want to talk more about it _ i do not want to break board rules.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I understand that you live in a country town MLC but I really believe the best thing to do is get some professional advice on this....

and thats no aspersions on anyone else here....some things just need a face to face consultation and an expert opinion.

I think a benzo taper is one of those things.

D
Old 01-03-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm already off it. Someone mentioned protracted withdrawal. I was only on it for a couple of months and was up to about 50mg. I wasn't sure if that was even enough to cause that but man I felt awful and it still comes back.

I'm about to spend the next few days in hospital again with my 2 year old. Docs around here either have closed books or a week waiting list.L or they're hopeless. There's just no time to stop and figure this whole fecking mess out.

I realise it probably sounds like I'm making excuses. I don't even really want advice, just to talk. I can't breathe with running a business, and the kids and spending all week on the phone to the hospital and now having to pack up and drive down to bris.

I'll go soon. When i can.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes we need to *make* time I think - I never did and, although my problem was booze, my body really slammed one day - I hate to see that happen to you MLC.

best wishes to your daughter tho

D
Old 01-03-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am by far no expert, but the conventional wisdom from the Ashton Manual found at benzo.org is that abrupt cessation isn't the way to go, but the good news is that protracted symptoms are normally found from long term use, not necessarily just a few months.

Conventional wisdom is also that if you did go cold turkey so to speak, It's suggested not to reinstate the drug and begin a taper. Do read the Ashton Manual. It is great help, but nothing, I repeat nothing beats finding medical help from those versed in benzo addiction and withdrawal.

My experience was going cold turkey from 20 milligrams of Klonopin, which is said to be an equivalent dosage of 400 milligrams of Valium. Let's just say that I was in bad shape and needed lots of medical intervention.

But that is an extremely high dosage taken for a period of many years.

I think the best thing going for you is that you can type, you are dealing with work and the kids, and taking care of a sick loved one, well...you are functioning fantastically. I don't mean that you are not struggling, but just to be able to deal with that at all bodes well for your recovery.

Many of us were left totally dysfunctional by our benzo addiction and withdrawal.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Be careful. I really think you should be under medical care for this. I had a seizure from benzo withdrawal. I was 5 days in and was feeling better and thought I had been through the worst part of it.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've been off it for 6 weeks, pretty much went cold turkey. Was prescribed just 7.5mg a day and was taking 50 within days and lots of mild opiates and alcohol too. It's probably not much, probably just making a mountain out of a molehill but I'm only quite small and had been clean from iv drugs for years and years prior to this. After 2 weeks the symptoms got worse and my brain literally felt like it was shaking and I couldn't hold a conversation and i could not stand sunlight. I'm just concerned about it all coming back because its still there lingering.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If I may ask, was it anxiety that made the doctor prescribe it initially? It might be you're rebounding. I would look into the anxiety forums on this site - see if people have extended withdrawal, etc.

I am just tapering and find some of the symptoms so anxiety provoking I start to panic - but, that is why I was given Valium. For me, I feel you about not being able to old a conversation. My worst symptom is a mild "spinny" feeling...almost like vertigo. Doctor assures me it will pass.

All we can do it go through it, I guess. Try to hang tight, this too shall pass.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes. Well sort of. I did go to the doc for 'anxiety'.....well, I went to the doc in hope of getting a benzo anyway

I am very anxious. Sorry, I just saw this reply. The spiny feeling definitely seems to be common amongst us all.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I went on it because of anxiety attacks - before I even started to drink. And the doc just kept prescribing.

I have the spinny feeling and I am only down to 10, cannot imagine when I am off. My doctor suggested an anti-vertigo drug if it gets bad but requested I try to ride it out longer. Smart because knowing me I'd be addicted to whatever he gave me in no time.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

As its been said, a doctor would be your best bet in this situation. Withdrawal and especially benzodiazepine withdrawal can get tricky ad complicated.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It's alot better now. Still comes back sometimes since giving up the drink. Finally made a doctors appointment. Argh. My head is working 100 miles a minute.