a funny story.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

a funny story.

So yesterday I drank with ah. At first hiding that I was in fact drinking.....he was not happy about the secrecy lol then openly. The roles were reversed and he was on his toes
"Careful. Dont drink too much " and "dont get crazy" lol with "you feel ok ?and slow done"
And every move I made he thought I was going to quack like him lol he was on edge and qoute walking on egg shells. Then we watch a movie where a girl is getting roofied and everytime she drinks her liquor she passes out. Ah said "you would think shed learn...
If everytime she drink she blacks out. Stop drinking" and then quickly realized what he said.
The whole event was funny to me.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My AH likes to go on and on about how "Jack" or "Joe" is always at the bar, or he thinks one of them is an alcoholic because they drink whiskey!! He thinks it's perfectly fine to drink 15-18 beers a night because 1) he does it at home, 2) doesn't drive while drinking 3) and he doesn't drink whiskey every night (only 3-4 nights a week in addition to his beer). I think it's quite comical myself! Oh if they could really hear themselves!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

"So yesterday I drank with ah. At first hiding that I was in fact drinking.....he was not happy about the secrecy lol then openly. The roles were reversed and he was on his toes."

I sincerely hope you know what your doing, one of my bounderies with the exabf was to not drink with him. IMO it sends a message to them, it's ok to drink, I condone your drinking, let's party!

And by attempting to hide your drinking you are doing the same thing he does, kind of hard, to then, call the keddle black.

What are your bounderies anyway or don't you have any?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am interested to know people's thoughts on this subject of whether to drink in front of your recovering partner or not....?

On the one hand, clearly it must be difficult for them to watch. However, on the other hand, perhaps it helps desensitise them for the inevitable situations they will face where people are drinking to excess.

Our Christmas was a bloody nightmare, with RABF's family getting completely fall-down drunk for days on end, completely uncaring of his new sobriety, and actually rejecting his decision. It was awful and a big shock for RABF who had not seen such behaviour in some time (and never really seen it sober). It made me never want to drink again. Then again, perhaps if I drink a small amount in front of him he will be more prepared for situations like that.

RABF has said he would like for my life to be unaffected by his sobriety and that he is happy for me to drink when I want, as long as he doesn't see me drunk (though that's not an issue as I've never been a big drinker anyway). I had thought about quitting altogether along with him as a show of support, but I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do either.

But I must say, in terms of drinking in front of him or not... I am up still really in the air on this one.

What does everyone else think?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

I havent drank in almost a yr. Infront of him or otherwise. However
I wanted to treat myself and did not want to go out to do so...
I hid it at first because I didnt feel like it was necessary to say something .
But it was nice to let loose in my own home and actually find the situation humorous which
Was refreshing for me.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did drink in front of RAH when he was sober - seldom - but no issues and by his saying it didn't bother him.

When he relapsed we did end up drinking together one night - a night he said he wouldn't be drinking and did anyway. Had I not been drinking I probably would have picked up on it as I had been I didn't notice. Bad night. Really bad - from that time forward no more.

Now he is sober again. I do not and will not drink in front of him. Not now its too early IMO. In a couple years maybe.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have no idea what the right thing to do would be. I know the world will continue drinking around the RA. Parties, weddings, funerals, restaurants, ballgames.

It is all so complex for the A, the RA and their F&F.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuvsTaz View Post
My AH likes to go on and on about how "Jack" or "Joe" is always at the bar, or he thinks one of them is an alcoholic because they drink whiskey!! He thinks it's perfectly fine to drink 15-18 beers a night because 1) he does it at home, 2) doesn't drive while drinking 3) and he doesn't drink whiskey every night (only 3-4 nights a week in addition to his beer). I think it's quite comical myself! Oh if they could really hear themselves!
so funny! My XABF was all about telling me about who had a drinking problem, and who had a drug problem, and how so and so has no self control. i wanted to be like uh dude-look at yourself.