Notices

day 1 and my story

Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 1 and my story

I have been a long time lurker and decided that I would get on here so I can move forward. I have read a lot of stories and mine may be a bit different.

Sure, i have had blackouts, awful next days where I had to curl up on the floor of my office (this happened 2 weeks ago where I spent from 8am - 11am throwing up and the rest of the day sleeping on my floor), and the usual making a fool of myself but those are few and far between. Although, I see those as a possible problem, my main problem is I can't stop drinking most nights of the week.

I can say that rarely do I get drunk. Most weeks consist of 2-3 nights of no drinks, 2 nights of ~2 drinks, and 2 nights that can range from 2 beers to 8 or 9. Some may not think that's a problem but most nights I go home I am looking forward to my IPA or 2 (beer is my drink). Other nights, I can't wait until friday or saturday where I allow myself 5-10 beers on a night.

I also run marathons each year so i am always in shape which I think makes me think that I can have drinks. But they essentially dominate my life. I get excited for my nightly beers that it bothers me. Although, I don't get smashed on a usual basis I am having trouble stopping.

So, today is day one (I hate new year's resolutions but i knew the party's I would be at so I stayed realistic and decided after the new year I would quit) and just saying hi and moving forward

I am 42 married to a beautiful wife and 2 wonderful kids who see their dad have a beer+ almost every night. I have been drunk in front of them (as far as I can tell they couldn't tell) and my son will see a beer commercial and say "papa" and point at it. it was a sad day when that happened but didn't get me to stop. Hopefully, I'm ready to be a role model.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm a bit confused halfvictory. Do you view yourself as having a problem with drinking? Do you consider yourself an alcoholic? Because in reading what you've written it just doesn't seem clear to me what your stand is on it even tho you've quit.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're having a problem with alcohol, stopping is the solution.

You'll find lots of support here and I'm glad you joined us.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Aems:

I have a drinking problem, yes. I guess I read a lot of much scarier stories on here and knew my story paled in comparison. I look forward to drinking every night. Although, most of the time I do not go overboard (it does happen enough times in a month, though) I can't stop having them. I usually go to bed ~10pm and many times I have reached ~9pm and ran up to the store just so i can have one.

I don't know if anyone else has been in my shoes as most of these stories aren't where I'm at but I've, for a long time, thought since I wasn't crushing it, losing jobs, divorcing, and all the other extremes that I wasn't an alcoholic.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Halfvictory
I hope you won't mind me pointing this out, but this:

I can say that rarely do I get drunk.
seems pretty meaningless juxtaposed against this:
Sure, i have had blackouts, awful next days where I had to curl up on the floor of my office (this happened 2 weeks ago where I spent from 8am - 11am throwing up and the rest of the day sleeping on my floor), and the usual making a fool of myself but those are few and far between. Although, I see those as a possible problem, my main problem is I can't stop drinking most nights of the week.
I'm glad you've decided to do something about it
Welcome!

D
Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dee74:

yes, I see your point. I guess I wanted to set up my story as a comparison (maybe wrong thing to do) to what I've been reading. I can't say i am at the end of my rope (although everybody's rope is a different length).

I love my beers almost every night. and then by the weekend I pile on. Are most weekends am I blacked out and stumbling? No. Do I have enough to wake up groggy and a headache? yes.

Sorry, for how I worded things. In my past, alcohol has been more of a problem. It wasn't actually a nightly thing back 10-20 years ago. I would get smashed 3x per week and then have nothing the other 4 days. Now it's switched somewhat - I don't get smashed as much but have beer more nights (usually 5-6 nights).

my local bar knows me well (too well), and I have a reputation in the neighborhood as always having beers. I am known to never say no to a party or drinks but like I said, a lot of the times I can do 3-4 beers and be done; the problem is how consistent that has become.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All our stories are different. At least initially.

I too was a marathon runner while drinking. Unfortunately, there is an odd celebrated connection between running and drinking alcohol. Anyway, I say "was" a marathon runner, because eventually the drinking took it's toll. The running became more difficult, so I ran less frequently, which made the running even more difficult. This past year I have not run much at all. That's something I'd like to change in 2013.

When I first came here a little over a year ago, I thought I was unique and while maybe having a problem, I wasn't an alcoholic. Why? Because I hadn't hit rock bottom like some. I have a good job, a great wife, and like you, two wonderful children. Could I cut back? Sure, but I was holding everything together.

What I've learned is that the only real rock bottom is death. People stop drinking at different points for different reasons. If you can stop before the consequences become too severe, wonderful.

You have to decide, but in my case things only got worse as I continued to drink. Alcohol contributes nothing to your running or more importantly you being a husband and father.

I don't mean to be preachy. It sounds like you recognize you have a problem and want to do something about it. The fact that you've come here to share your story is a tremendous step.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

If you feel the need to sign up to this site and post your story then you most have some sort of issue with alcohol because IMO normal moderate drinkers just don't have to do that.

Try and stop set yourself a time limit ie 90 days it should be easy for someone without a drinking problem...