Notices

Day 3 What do I look forward too?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 What do I look forward too?

My wife told me a few months ago that I needed to cut down, my Dads an alcoholic and I seemed to be following suite. I cut down but I was just spending my days looking forward to the day I was having a beer and getting wrecked when I would. Like I'd go to a football game I'd get home at 10pm(and would have work in the morning) but would get a drink for when I got home cause I was having a beer that day. Finding it hard to look forward to anything!! Birthdays = Beer, Football = Beer, Holidays = Beer, Somebody giving me a beer when I go to there house = Beer, Saturdays = Beer, My adult life has basically been this! Don't know what to look forward to
Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can look forward to not being filled with guilt, shame, embarrassment, and remorse. You can look forward to waking up clear headed and remembering the night before. You can look forward to enjoying family outings instead of planning your next drink. I just left NYC after 4 days with my family. I remember everything. I wasn't hungover once and I had the trip of a lifetime with my husband and kids without rushing to get back to the hotel so I could drink. Life gets better just hang in there.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for that!!! :-) I need a kick in the butt sometimes

I just find it hard to look past not wanting a drink, I just can't imagine me never wanting a drink
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can look forward to living your life. Yes, you will need to make some big changes, but it will be worth it. Get involved in activities that don't revolve around alcohol - volunteering, for example. Why not look around your community and see what you can do? How about spending time with your wife doing things you both enjoy or just going out for coffee together or to a movie?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hear you. I quit on Monday and I honestly believe I'm thinking more about drinking now than I did before quitting! It's driving me nuts how alcohol is on the front of my mind. I have faith that my current preoccupation will go away, but I don't know when.

The truth is that sobriety is the only viable path for me. I don't know exactly where it will lead me, but I know where my old path was taking me and that is no longer an option.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Look foward to day 4 because every day gets a little easier.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep up the hard work, straight. Every day is a fight, no matter if it is day one, or day 90 like I just had. Just enjoy the firsts.....first time barbequeing without a drink, first time camping without a drink, first time going to a game without a drink. I've had those, and like above, appreciate waking up in the morning and remembering everything instead of people giggling when I asked what happened! I am working out a lot more, and feel great. Everyone has something they can enjoy besides a drink. The demons will still be there, but they become quieter and quieter the stronger you get!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had no idea what to look forward to either - but my life has exceeded anything I could have dreamt of anyway, straight.

I know it's scary - it's a leap of faith - but draw strength from those here who've made the leap...you're doing the right thing

D
Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

The one thing I never expected was noticing the small stuff. The sun peeking behind the cloud, the little guy sitting on my lap, the quiet in my house on Sunday morning.

I'm not controlled by alcohol and drugs anymore. My life now belongs to me again.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

The one thing I never expected was noticing the small stuff. The sun peeking behind the cloud, the little guy sitting on my lap, the quiet in my house on Sunday morning.
absolutely SZ

D
Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Given enough sober time you will start to look forward to Holidays and football simply because they are holidays and football. Eventually the focus shifts x
Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Grind the cravings out, stare at a wall do anything but drink. Drinking does nothing, it's all bs brain washing , hangovers obsession and remorse. Living sober gets better and better the longer you go.
It may not feel like this in early days, good luck.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is most definitely a shift in one's experience of life when alcohol use is abandoned after years of excess. There is a huge change to be encountered in getting the act of drinking and its position at the center of established daily living patterns pitched out the window. Looking back, I see that drinking kept me from finding interest in all sorts of activities that are needed for a satisfying life: social, creative, physical, but most especially intellectual exploration. Without an active, curious and stimulated inner life, alcohol tempts by swallowing time and masquerading as a relaxing activity. It takes some months to get shed of the non-thinking habits of the drinking life and to develop far more satisfying pursuits. From posts I have read, it seems the so- called boredom that is experienced when drinking is given up is one of the reasons for short-lived resolutions to quit. I think the boredom is just a brain that is not working to its potential because of alcohol dependence.

Lots of good wishes to you.